Are these vintage products worth anything?

LittleDuck

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I saw these at an antique store. I was too embarrassed to buy them. Are they worth more than $12 a piece?

Sorry, the image’s didn’t load. Let me try again when I have more bandwidth.

LittleDuck said:
Sorry, the image’s didn’t load. Let me try again when I have more bandwidth.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0342.jpeg
    IMG_0342.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: Edgewater and Jorelaxed
Not likely to have any worth beyond being a part of social history (they may fall apart upon opening), but they may a 'value' which'll be whatever somebody's willing to pay.
I'd buy them just for their/our history (£5 for both).

Reactions: longallsboy, Edgewater and Angelapinks
To a collector they are definitely worth something.

Reactions: PaddedRita and Edgewater
What is worth to someone else might not be what it is worth to you, the thing is. I bought a tan leather shoe (more like burnt orange in color, in my viewpoint) from eBay that I had worn as a toddler / preschooler, by Buster Brown, a little more than a year ago. It was a bigger size, but the exact same shoe I wore in the late 1970s. To me, it meant a lot and still means a lot. I paid $25+ for it. Which is almost how much it probably sold for new back in 1976 or 1979, although if you put inflation into it, my mom likely paid $80 for today's monetary standards. No one else bid on it but me. So I don't really think it was worth so much to other people, but because I had worn that shoe as a 3 year old and it was part of my history of my life, yes, it was worth a lot to me. Plus, I definitely loved wearing it at age 2 1/2 to 3 1/2, and that's one of my earliest memories. I also love vintage children's T strap shoes, and Mary Janes (though I never wore that as a child. Some little boys in the Deep South like Alabama and South Carolina and Tennessee do wear T strap shoes, with long-alls and bubbles, but I'm from the Western part of the USA). Some people might like T strap shoes, but not all do. I've bought plenty of things from T strap shoes to long-alls to even vintage 45 rpm records and maps and baseball caps, where I was the only bidder on eBay or Facebook group sales.

So I don't know how much things would be worth to someone else. But in general, the more rare it is and harder to find, the more it generally is worth (like radio station promo 45 rpm records tend to be worth much more than stock regular copies as they are harder to find as they were only given to radio stations and there weren't that many radio stations in the 1950s or 1960s).

- longallsboy

The tan / burnt orange leather shoes I wore as a preschooler. Love the color. Very retro, trippy, even near psychedelic, and totally screams mid 1970s. 😁💜

IMG_20230422_103808899~3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater
Both appear to be plastic and likely from the mid-late forties., possible very early fifties. The serious problem is their condition is high dependent on how they have been stored (temperature /exposure to Sunlight) as both the pant and the elastic may likely crumb. Also, once out of the package, value would drop heavily.

As noted in the example above regarding shoes and a specific meaning to that person, value is in the eyes of the beholder.

Reactions: PaddedRita and longallsboy
Edgewater said:
Both appear to be plastic and likely from the mid-late forties., possible very early fifties. The serious problem is their condition is high dependent on how they have been stored (temperature /exposure to Sunlight) as both the pant and the elastic may likely crumb. Also, once out of the package, value would drop heavily.

As noted in the example above regarding shoes and a specific meaning to that person, value is in the eyes of the beholder.

Yeah plastic is likely to deteriorate after that long.

It's not like leather shoes or even clothes that are made of cotton / polyester. Even sometimes leather dries up and cracks after so many years, though it depends what kind of leather.

Plastic and rubber generally don't last. Even unused pacifiers, unopened, after 10 years, tend not to be so good anymore.

- longallsboy

Reactions: Edgewater
Back