Are Diapers Finally Getting Bigger? Or Is This Just A Phase.

dpcare said:
for a long time, parents of disabled children have been begging and screaming for larger diapers because of the huge gap between infant/toddler diapers and adult diapers
I kinda have to disagree with this. There have been youth diaper options for decades. I wore Attends "youth" diapers as a 10/11/12yo, and they fit great and were way thicker/capable than Goodnites or Pull-Ups (which were still a few years away). This was 1990-1992, and purchased at K-Mart, so it's not like these were special orders. And good quality youth diapers exist to this day. I think to your argument: maybe parents wanted the benefit of buying youth diapers for baby diaper prices...?

Last edited:
Reactions: antte91 and abdl86
Tommy10 said:
I kinda have to disagree with this. There have been youth diaper options for decades. I wore Attends "youth" diapers as a 10/11/12yo, and they fit great and were way thicker/capable than Goodnites or Pull-Ups (which were still a few years away). This was 1990-1992, and purchased at K-Mart, so it's not like these were special orders. And good quality youth diapers exist to this day. I think to your argument: maybe parents wanted the benefit of buying youth diapers for baby diaper prices...?
The problem is that most "good" youth diapers are not easily available, and most of those look rather depressing. At least here in the United States.

The US market needs more diapers like Cuties Boundless Size 8, and Goodnites competitors (Ninjamas need to make a proper sized L & XL)

12srepaid said:
The problem is that most "good" youth diapers are not easily available,
I agree youth diapers are not easily/readily available in brick-and-mortar stores. In fact, the stores my diapers were bought in no longer exist due to internet commerce. Which brings me to a challenge to your statement: good youth diapers are more easily available now than at any point in human history. One can purchase whatever size, quantity, and quality of diaper with a few clicks, youth diapers included. I fail to believe a parent cannot figure this out and order whatever is needed online and have it delivered in a few days. If this is not easy available, then what would make it easier? :)

Are there fewer quality youth diaper options? Sure. Could the U.S. market benefit from the Libero-brand size 8's? Yup.

Last edited:
Joediaper said:
ABU decided to greatly reduce usable absorbency in the Alpha's on the second batch by reducing the thickness and materials of the padding.
It's just a question of money and profit.

Joediaper said:
Sides from a Goodnites or PullUp work pretty good. Use a nice thick bead of hot glue to hold them on and press firmly while it's hot or use an Iron on low to get em to stick good. You can also use the sides to make the elastic waist more elastic with some 3M77 and the iron set on low to get the edges to stick.

Some shots for reference from a project that went by the wayside since ABU decided to greatly reduce usable absorbency in the Alpha's on the second batch by reducing the thickness and materials of the padding. Won't be buying them ever again and probably won't try another ABU product because of it.
Can you make a tutorial on how you made these?

Yuri said:
I can. I actually had plans to do it with the AlphaGators but when I pulled one out of the pack and it had about half the density of padding as my last order I was very discouraged. The one in the pic was the prototype and came from my first bag. I needed to see exactly how to do it since every diaper is different.

I thought they were going to be IT but I should have known with ABU's track record of quality control it wasn't going to be. It will be some time before I do like it was with my diaper engineering post. It can take up to five hours just to get the pics an I will need to set aside time to do it.

Last edited:
If Pampers or Huggies do make diapers up a point they are an adult sized XS or small, I will assume they are for special needs kids and they may only be bought online due to low demand in the stores.

Reactions: newAB43 and antte91
Um, excuse me Mr. NASCAR, Sir! Do you... did you wear a diaper while racing because you didn't stop, because you don't stop at the pit.. stop to go potty!

Last edited:
Joediaper said:
I can. I actually had plans to do it with the AlphaGators but when I pulled one out of the pack and it had about half the density of padding as my last order I was very discouraged. The one in the pic was the prototype and came from my first bag. I needed to see exactly how to do it since every diaper is different.

I thought they were going to be IT but I should have known with ABU's track record of quality control it wasn't going to be. It will be some time before I do like it was with my diaper engineering post. It can take up to five hours just to get the pics an I will need to set aside time to do it.
Thank you! Looking forward to it.

Joediaper said:
Sides from a Goodnites or PullUp work pretty good. Use a nice thick bead of hot glue to hold them on and press firmly while it's hot or use an Iron on low to get em to stick good. You can also use the sides to make the elastic waist more elastic with some 3M77 and the iron set on low to get the edges to stick.

Some shots for reference from a project that went by the wayside since ABU decided to greatly reduce usable absorbency in the Alpha's on the second batch by reducing the thickness and materials of the padding. Won't be buying them ever again and probably won't try another ABU product because of it.
I would pay a bit for these if you sold them.

I sure it ihope not just a phase. There needs to be more diaper options in the children/youth dept. While there seems to be more options in EU, and Asia, there isn't as much in NA. Yes, you can legally be toilet trained, and still need diapers or pull-ups.

Joediaper said:

Hi! Just checking in. Were you still going to post a tutorial, or would you be open to selling these?

12srepaid said:
I sure it ihope not just a phase. There needs to be more diaper options in the children/youth dept. While there seems to be more options in EU, and Asia, there isn't as much in NA. Yes, you can legally be toilet trained, and still need diapers or pull-ups.
LEGALLY be potty trained???? Thanks for the laugh man....needed that. Been a very rough day

Yuri said:
Hi! Just checking in. Were you still going to post a tutorial, or would you be open to selling these?

I will do one. I can't say exactly when though. Unfortunately, right now, I have too much going on. When I do I will be sure to tag you in the post.

As far as selling them...:unsure: one hour of my time is worth about $80 making it $160 for two hours 😶‍🌫️ then $4 for the diaper,
...about $4 for the extra padding and stretchy sides from the pull up...
...about $7 for shipping...

That'll be $175 for one diaper. Heck, might as well round it up to $180. 🤑 What's $5 between friends?;)

Seriously though it wouldn't be worth it for me. I have developed an arthritic back and neck over the years and just doing one sets me back a bit.

Last edited:
Joediaper said:

Still wishing I had these :'(

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Yuri said:
I wonder what the rule 34 is for DIY hacking of your own diapers is? I've had to make undersize diapers work by cutting the wings off and using them as makeshift boosters before.

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Joediaper said:
This is not the case if you want to make the padding wider. There is a ratio that needs to be kept here because of the expanding SAP.

If the leg elastics were kept in the same position and only the padding were made wider the expanding SAP would pull the leg elastics away from the wearers skin breaking the seal so to speak. This is the reason adult diapers can be so leaky at capacity.

Because baby diapers keep this ratio they can absorb a much higher percentage of their full capacity than an adult diaper. Baby diapers come in at about 50% give or take depending on brand. Some can be as high as 60%

Adult diapers are much less. Lets take the PeekABU for instance which has an absorbency rating of 6250ml. The functional absorbency is more like 2200ml and that's being generous. Thats about 35%.

A design change to eliminate the padding in the wings making the absorbent pad a rectangle and spacing the leg elastics away from the padding about an inch on each side would make the product perform much better and get that number up to about 40%. If they wanted to get to the level of baby diapers they would have to get rid of all the synthetic material in the padding and use an actual Absorbency Distribution Layer instead of the paper thin blue thing they currently use to make it look like it's there doing something. The proof is in the pudding. Yup! That's a link to my post. Again. ;)
Aha! I detect a connoisseur.

I find your assessment very accurate. I'm the kind of guy that has literally taken an x-acto knife to dismantle diapers to see how they are constructed. Diapers for babies/toddlers/kids, IMO have better construction than most brands for adults. Bear in mind my perspective is from a north American so our available brands are extremely limited and finding any kind of tabbed diaper in a brick and mortar store is rarer than a unicorn.

There have been a few exceptions over the years. Molicare, back before they caved to the cloth backing, I hate cloth backed diapers, they weep had a very interesting internal construction. There were strands of a twisted fiber running in between the pulp and SAP layers that did a fantastic job of wicking. They rarely suffered from clumping issues and I curse the person that changed their construction.

A good diaper is more than just fiber to SAP ratio. Even so called "premium" ABDL diapers seem to go think "more SAP = better".

Reactions: Joediaper, Spiro910, 12srepaid and 1 other person
CptKirk said:
LEGALLY be potty trained???? Thanks for the laugh man....needed that. Been a very rough day
Yeah, Legally probably wasn't the best word to use. Maybe logistically might have been the better word. to use.

Last edited:
A lot of this has to do with the name brand image. Pampers and Huggies will derate the diaper sizing even though it will fit older children. Pampers won’t advertise this because it’s shown that they promote delay development in potty training skills. Pampers was chastised about this when they came out with the size 6 diaper in 2000. It was recommended that the child would decide when they are ready to make the transition from diapers to pull-ups.
So Pampers stopped making bigger diapers at leased marked on the package that is. The size 7 and 8’s are about the size as a plastic backed size 6. The difference is the stretchy material today. Size 7 was smaller in weight than size 6 by 1kg.
I’ve seen a few post by P&G representatives and they have no intentions in marketing Pampers for children outside of the baby / toddler stage of development. Yes, they can fit pre-teens and possibly teens but that’s not what they made them for even though in my opinion they are missing a golden opportunity.
They always say that is what the Always brand is for. Not sure you can get a guy to wear a garment named after a maxi pad.
My conclusion is they won’t make a lager diaper that meets the needs of the masses because they think it will damage the brand. Imagine and we all have that Pampers made diapers for every stage of life. Just drop by the store and pick up Pampers for the whole family. It would become common place and not a big deal.

Reactions: espectro and I12BLittle89
Back