Are all barrier creams the same?

anonnymouse said:
really can only be applied to immaculate skin as it essentially traps any bacteria under it
When I'm changing my diaper, I always try to be clean first. I admit that my skin is pretty tough. I've been using Desitin since I was a kid. My mom used it on me until I could diaper myself when I was ~8 yo. It's 40% zinc oxide (that's the key). Not my favorite smell. Still, it works.

Reactions: BigAl2
PaigeCherubiel said:
I would ask for something for jock itch because it's same area of the body. :geek:
If it doesn't clear up there's a chance that you have a yeast infection. I've been IC since the beginning. And I've had a few yeast infections (especially with constant wet diapers and during warm and humid weather). I had one that was killing me. I finally went to my physician and after he saw it he said the rash was yeast. He gave me Nystatin & Triamcinolone Acetonide. It's like magic. I keep it on my medicine cabinet. Doctor's proscription only.

Reactions: AttilaThePun and BigAl2
I find Calmoseptine works wonders. It even helps for yeast based rashes. Oh boy that jock itch spray stings lol.

Reactions: AttilaThePun
pierrelebleu said:
Personally, I use zinc oxide based ointments such as Burts Bees Baby and Metanium, found them perfect. On the rare occasions where I've had a rash (or even an irritation, don't wait until it becomes a rash), usually after wearing a plastic backed item, I use Daktarin / Daktacort or any other strong athlete's foot treatment cream, which have anti–fungal properties and are effective against ringworm and sweat rash. Also, if you can, have a dry day or two, to allow itchy skin to recover. Hope this helps.
Personally use the daktarin spray as it's a power which is way more effective than more moisture.

BigAl1 said:
I find Calmoseptine works wonders. It even helps for yeast based rashes. Oh boy that jock itch spray stings lol.
Most athlete's foot or jock itch sprays I've found are alcohol-based - and 😨🔥😬😱🤬! Definitely avoid open flame sources when applying!!

Reactions: BigAl2 and PaigeCherubiel
A&D ointment works great for me. Buy it in 1lb tubs for $12 at Walmart. Zero rashes using it. Staying well hydrated is important as are frequent changes, hygiene, and drying effectively.

While is has zero effect on diaper rash I apply a thin layer of Baby Magic over the ointment for the smell and covering other smells. It’s intoxicating for me. I get many compliments from women.

Doing all that I’m dialed in :)

Reactions: AJFan2020 and AttilaThePun
AttilaThePun said:
Most athlete's foot or jock itch sprays I've found are alcohol-based - and 😨🔥😬😱🤬! Definitely avoid open flame sources when applying!!
I've never tried the sprays, always used the creams. Agree, alcohol on your privates, not good move!

I use zinc oxide based ointments. They do best to prevent and treat diaper rash

Reactions: AJFan2020 and AttilaThePun
I use Australian Bodycare Rescue Cream, available online from that place that shares it's name with a rather large South American river. Stings a bit on first application, but after a few days it works wonders.

My urology Nurse PA told me to use Destin at every change as she told me she has used it on her 5 babies. ( I didn't ask her, she volunteered the comment, as she was placing a Foley and saw I was pretty red (reason for the Foley) Now my PCP who checks me for skin damage told me to use Vaseline at every change especially on my privates. As she also scripts me Nystatin cream for 3-4 changes per day.

I have just started using "Medi derma S" as it was reccomended by the chemists and I have found it to be very good at keeping my skin dry being in a wet Nappy for most of the day and all night, one application does 24 hours and it really works as for a long time I have suffered from Rheumatism in both hip joints, which is now noticeably disappearing.
One application does last a full day unless you wash it off.
it is around £6.00 per 90 mg but so far is worth it.
One tube lasts just under a month providing you dont go mad with it.
I also use Sudocreme as that provides very good waterproofing but find it does get absorbed into the Nappy during the day making it not as effective as the Medi derma S.which seems firmly soaked into your skin.

Back