April Fools!

Alecsam

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
First off happy April fools day everyone, today I wanted to touch on rearz ( or pacifier addicts) recent April fools joke; honestly it got me for a minute as I forgot today was the first of April with how they presented the pacifier with their somewhat high quality video parody of Apple, until i read more into the article and saw what date it was and honestly I was fooled...

Anyway I wanted to see how others felt about this and if you would think if it would be a good idea for a product regardless of the joke.

Here is their website if you want to see the joke itself.

• Haha
Reactions: Prillprillprill
Yeah, why not. Although I don't know how many health metrics you could reasonably extract from somebody's lips. At the very least it could count how many times you sucked on it, kind of like how FitBits and other fitness trackers count steps. You could set goals and earn digital rewards for total daily suck count, average sucks/minute, and all sort of other sucky things. :)

Reactions: littledub1955
Sounds to me like this product might suck :)

• Haha
Reactions: littledub1955, binkyyybunnyyy, Alecsam and 2 others
Alecsam said:
First off happy April fools day everyone, today I wanted to touch on rearz ( or pacifier addicts) recent April fools joke; honestly it got me for a minute as I forgot today was the first of April with how they presented the pacifier with their somewhat high quality video parody of Apple, until i read more into the article and saw what date it was and honestly I was fooled...

Anyway I wanted to see how others felt about this and if you would think if it would be a good idea for a product regardless of the joke.

Bad taste! they always do this bs, as if they dont got a bad rep already!

Alecsam said:

Looks like a lot of thought and effort went into that!

Lol while this may be an April fools joke I can imagine something like this actually being developed.

It would probably be possible to get fairly accurate temperature readings from a pacifier like product, I'm not sure that you can get heart rate, blood pressure and blood oxygen levels from the mouth and lips though the tech in smart watches for this is improving in this area, it may be possible with some tweaking (blood O2 is most likely possible in the lips at least and potentially heart rate). You could probably finagle a way to get breath response from one to monitor the breathing activity levels, add a mic to pick up on snoring or other airway obstructions and using that with a gyro or movement detector could detect sleep status.

It may all sound like some silly and pointless joke invention but could actually potentially be a life saving piece of equipment for monitoring newborns and infants.

Imagine a pacifier that could even just only detect when a baby has stopped breathing or is experiencing irregular breathing while asleep, how many cases of SIDS would that prevent. This alongside regular temp monitoring from an item that actually calms a child rather than causes them stress (like regular thermometers do, anyone whose had a baby can tell you how much taking a temp can upset them.) to help detect ilness or infection onset earlier.

With the capability to sync with a phone giving regular status updates on a babies vitals and when they are asleep/awake etc. The biggest problem I foresee with it would actually be in battery capacity and weight, you wouldn't want a heavier paci in a babies mouth potentially damaging teeth/jaw development and on a device that small capacity is going to be very limited, though with improvements in battery tech (especially in the realm of solid state) this will improve.

Definitely worth any tech company looking into. I know you can already buy mats that sit on a cot mattress that can monitor breathing, movement and external temps etc.

Reactions: Dragonkindred
Belarin said:
Lol while this may be an April fools joke I can imagine something like this actually being developed.

It would probably be possible to get fairly accurate temperature readings from a pacifier like product, I'm not sure that you can get heart rate, blood pressure and blood oxygen levels from the mouth and lips though the tech in smart watches for this is improving in this area, it may be possible with some tweaking (blood O2 is most likely possible in the lips at least and potentially heart rate). You could probably finagle a way to get breath response from one to monitor the breathing activity levels, add a mic to pick up on snoring or other airway obstructions and using that with a gyro or movement detector could detect sleep status.

It may all sound like some silly and pointless joke invention but could actually potentially be a life saving piece of equipment for monitoring newborns and infants.

Imagine a pacifier that could even just only detect when a baby has stopped breathing or is experiencing irregular breathing while asleep, how many cases of SIDS would that prevent. This alongside regular temp monitoring from an item that actually calms a child rather than causes them stress (like regular thermometers do, anyone whose had a baby can tell you how much taking a temp can upset them.) to help detect ilness or infection onset earlier.

With the capability to sync with a phone giving regular status updates on a babies vitals and when they are asleep/awake etc. The biggest problem I foresee with it would actually be in battery capacity and weight, you wouldn't want a heavier paci in a babies mouth potentially damaging teeth/jaw development and on a device that small capacity is going to be very limited, though with improvements in battery tech (especially in the realm of solid state) this will improve.

Definitely worth any tech company looking into. I know you can already buy mats that sit on a cot mattress that can monitor breathing, movement and external temps etc.
There are already medically approved SIDS monitors.
That pacifier could never be approved because the baby could spit it out or it could just fall out, leading to false alarms and eventual untrustfulness. I know the inventor of the SIDS monitor. His name is Pete Petit and his company was Healthdyne. He invented it in about 1970 after his own baby died from SIDS

Reactions: Belarin
adam said:
There are already medically approved SIDS monitors.
That pacifier could never be approved because the baby could spit it out or it could just fall out, leading to false alarms and eventual untrustfulness. I know the inventor of the SIDS monitor. His name is Pete Petit and his company was Healthdyne. He invented it in about 1970 after his own baby died from SIDS
I know of the currently approved monitors, the mat type I mentioned was used by an old friend of mine, hadn't heard of Pete though or realised they had been commercially available that long.

I can see your point about it not being reliable as a SIDS monitor due to falling out, but given other possible uses for a device like that at times when an infant is awake or less likely to drop it I still think it could potentially be an interesting idea, there are certainly useful applications for a device like that and the tech is rapidly getting advanced and small enough to do it.

Back