Any competitive powerlifters here?

Hockeyczar

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
I have a USA PowerLifting event coming up in a couple of months and I was wondering what techniques other's use when they are starting to reduce the total volume of reps and sets as the event gets near.
Thanks!

I haven’t competed in a while and even then I only went to like two meets where I placed. But since nobody else has jumped in here goes nothing.

I used a lot of kettlebells. Swings, snatches, presses, in between doing heavy triples and heavy singles on my main lifts. I found it helped loosen me up and help prevent muscle soreness. This was in conjunction with a 30-45 min full body warm up ( body weight exercises at 8-10 reps) and a 30-45 min stretching session at the end. I never took any supps for it apart from pre-workout and protein (of course) BCAAs and some unflavored Glutamine mixed.

Back then I was about 238lbs pressing 315, squatting 395, and pulling 525lbs. (I’ve always had bad knees).

Hope it helps, good luck with the meet 👍

Reactions: LittleBabyJake
SweetP said:
I haven’t competed in a while and even then I only went to like two meets where I placed. But since nobody else has jumped in here goes nothing.

I used a lot of kettlebells. Swings, snatches, presses, in between doing heavy triples and heavy singles on my main lifts. I found it helped loosen me up and help prevent muscle soreness. This was in conjunction with a 30-45 min full body warm up ( body weight exercises at 8-10 reps) and a 30-45 min stretching session at the end. I never took any supps for it apart from pre-workout and protein (of course) BCAAs and some unflavored Glutamine mixed.

Back then I was about 238lbs pressing 315, squatting 395, and pulling 525lbs. (I’ve always had bad knees).

Hope it helps, good luck with the meet 👍
Thanks for replying back, I have about four weeks left of heavy lifting before I go light to heal before the meet. I am in a master's class , 90 kg class, just hoping to BP 230, pull 350, and squat 350. This is a raw event and the first real event I have ever done.

Reactions: LittleBabyJake
Yes sir!!!!!
sometimes I'll do 5+ sets of just a single rep in my heavy days. it just depends on how much sleep I've had the night before. That jumps my bench, squat, and power clean up whenever I feel a plateau coming

Last edited:
Next week I start to deload, so probably only a heavy bench press day.
Thanks for the replies

Back