Angiogram IC advice

slimjiminy

Diabetes, type-2
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I am scheduled for an Angiogram in April to verify the extent of my artery blockage (in Ontario). I am informed that "You will be recovered in the recovery area for 4-6 hours following your procedure." Does that allow me to use the washroom or will I be expected to lie in a bed during this time? I believe the procedure itself is expected to be 1-2 hours. They also said plan for a possible overnight stay, depending on several unlikely factors.

Assuming I am not confined to a bed for the full 4-6 hours, I can get by with a pull-up. I am hoping that the recovery period is just sitting in a room with access to a washroom. I am likely headed for a bypass operation this summer - oh swell!

Anyone IC and been through this?

• Wow
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Raven801, Edgewater and 1 other person
The best people to asker this has to be ware you are getting the procedure done email them explaining your concerns and needs. It will definitely put your mind at rest.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, Edgewater and Diprs2
My first angiogram I was confined to bed for over 8 hours. Latest one I was in bed for about 3 hours. They don't want you to move too much so as not to reopen the incision area. I advised the nurse of my incontinence and was told they would deal with it. They gave me a portable urinal and I got along ok with that. However I did manage to fill it several times and they had to empty it often. Wet the pad under me once, they changed it out no problem.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher, slimjiminy, Raven801 and 1 other person
Remo said:
My first angiogram I was confined to bed for over 8 hours. Latest one I was in bed for about 3 hours. They don't want you to move too much so as not to reopen the incision area. I advised the nurse of my incontinence and was told they would deal with it. They gave me a portable urinal and I got along ok with that. However I did manage to fill it several times and they had to empty it often. Wet the pad under me once, they changed it out no problem.
This was much what my non-IC younger brother had dealt with. With great luck, I have not dealt with this procedure.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher
Been there done that ...the most awkward part was when they took me in back to start the process they prepped for entry on my wrist and the inside of my thigh... They removed my brief and put me on some pads for some reason. As far as recovery they didn't want me moving much but when I came to they had already put one of my briefs back on me as it was discussed before hand that I am double incon. the only annoyance was them insisting on me being changed every 2-3 hours and they insisted on assisting me...which basically ment them doing it . Talk to them before hand and discuss your concerns. I'm not sure a pull up would be the best as it requires a lot more movement to change. That being said I felt fine and could have easily taken care of my self. I was only kept there for about 9 hours due to some concerns. My brother was out of his in 2 hours so you just never know. The staff was very respectful and helpful and insisted they have seen my situation more than you would think and not to be embarrassed.

Last edited:
Reactions: PadPhilosopher, slimjiminy and Edgewater
Thanks for those comments. If they go up two arteries, then I expect to be there for some time. I have enough control to use a urinal as long as my bladder doesn't get too full. Obviously that will vary if I am out of it for too long.

Reactions: PadPhilosopher and Edgewater
I had this done pre incontinence issues. The procedure was no big deal. They do make you lie on your back and no getting up for a few hours after. The offered the bed pan but I held it, back when I could. As has been said let them know, no big deal for sure. Good luck!

Reactions: slimjiminy and PadPhilosopher
Back