Always Had Overactive Bladder

Ceary

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
A long post. I appreciate you all.
Disclaimer: I don't wet the bed, but I do have moments of peeing myself a bit here and there.

Overactive bladder. Since age 14. (Which is when I hit puberty and started finding myself drawn to diapers).
Probably self diagnosed at a young age but confirmed with off and on visits to different Drs. I haven't gone to a urologist in a decade, but I used to have a lot of UTIs due to one of my partner's skin conditions. No longer with him and no UTIs and I never had them prior.

I've always had to go to the bathroom after waking up, before leaving the house, before eating, before bed, on any break I could (during school and work), and before bed, and in the middle of the night.

I had been on one medication to help with something else I have in my diagnosis list, but due to it not working anymore I stopped using it.

My diagnosis list is long.

I don't know how to stop the overactive bladder since it was never a priority with my other major medical issues. Lately it's bothering me more so even though it bothers me with a heaviness daily with how often I go to the bathroom.

I've nearly peed myself way too many times and I spend a lot of time in the bathroom due to IBS and the urinary frequency. I get minor anal leakage as well. My behind can never seem clean.

I will bring up my issues to my new primary care physician soon as I see them, but I'm not sure yet if the issue can be addressed.

With my long rambling, the issue for me is I have peed myself before and I never talk about it. More often than not, I'll go to the bathroom and be done and all cleaned up and I'll pee a bit in my underwear or later on not long after.

My body paralyses or goes weak due to medical issues when I'm at home (out and about I'm capable of being independent) so I need assistance lately more so to get up. Last night my bf had assist me when I needed to get me up twice to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Every time I get up I feel like I going to pee myself. I'd rather use a toilet, but just in case I do paralyze, I wore protection two nights in a row. I had to ask his brother to help me get up when my body paralyzed the day before (we live with his brother and his brother had to take care of his wife when she was paralyzed before her passing).

I didn't sleep well in protection because I was so busy being afraid of judgement and also comfort/hot. He accepts me and understands. It's just me.

Overall I am just at a place in my mind where I know I've have an overactive bladder since age 14 and it gets dismissed due to other major medical issues I have. I don't know if using protection is the best idea because I'm worried about dependence and becoming more needing it and judgement and affordability. It's not anxiety for me that's causing my overactive bladder. I've come a long way and it's always there.

Any advices I appreciate and thanks for reading this long post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diprs2
I suspect I may have an OAB but never went to a doctor about it. I also peed a lot but only because I didn't want to deal with a urge to urinate during class because teachers required 3 passes per quarter. Then I couldn't stand to feel any urine in my bladder so I often went without my bladder being full. I did try bladder training by holding it but I couldn't stand the urge to urinate feeling. I gave up in my twenties. I just wear diapers now. I have always liked them anyway since childhood.

About peeing myself, I started to actually leak urine after having kids. I used to just drip urine after going to the bathroom and I was told this was normal.

Sorry I don't have any advice here other than I understand your concern that using diapers may make your issue worse which is often true. This was simply a tough decision I made for myself.

Reactions: Ceary and Diprs2
Ceary, your situation seems to be a quite difficult, I try to sort out which helpful thoughts I could bring to you. What I could figure out is that - besides of other medical conditions - you are. struggling with some kind of urinary incontinence. On one hand it seems you feel some kind of embarrassment or shame with protection, on the other hand you are also afraid that with wearing protection your incontinence would get worse. This is something I Ould take of your shoulders, incontinence is not worsening with wearing protection or is getting better if you avoid this, it's a medical condition which has nothing to do what you are wearing.
What I would like to bring up is "quality of life". If you quality of life can be enhanced with wearing protection, there is absolutely no shame to do so. It's not harming, doesn't make anything worse and if it makes you feel better and gives you more freedom then go for it. If you feel better not to do so, sty rather ner a toilet or don't care about some wet pants, just leave it!

Reactions: Ceary, Diprs2 and Jorelaxed
Hello Ceary, you are most definitely in a tough situation, I was feeling like that many years ago when I first started having to wear due to my extruded discs. It is a very difficult choice.
I just got tired of the constant leaks and urges and opted being diapered 24/7.
Since then I have been able to fully enjoy life, go out, be more calm and less cranky due to constantly worrying about accidents.
If diapers help you live/ manage the wetting then by all means use them a daily living tool, I know they have helped me quite a bit.😊

My OAB issue started almost 10 years ago and I started to wear 24/7 9+ years ago the stress on worrying if Im going to make the bath in time or the times I didn't make it in time wasn’t worth it. Yes over a short time I became diaper dependent as I lost my remaining control but the stress free feeling of not worrying about peeing my pants was wort it.

You get use to being diapered 24/7 quickly and will realize life really doesn’t change much and rarely does some one notice Im diapered only 2 people in 9 years have said anything and it was my taking my backpack with me to the washroom at a clients that caused the questions. Just said medical issue and nothing was ever said again.

I have no regrets choosing diapers vrs meds to manage my bladder issue, I just wish our insurance would cover the cost :) , find a diaper you can trust like Betterdry (they are my choice) and they have kept my pants dry .

Reactions: Lethdale, Ceary and Diprs2
Ceary,
I have a neuromuscular genetic disorder that causes overall intermittent paralysis, weakness, and spasticity. I've had a neurogenic bladder all my life (almost 69 years old) with incontinence and retention since I was 39. I've been in diapers nearly 30 years now and it has not affected my incontinence or retention whatsoever.

When I'm having a terrible day, I leak like a sieve. I know when I'm having a terrible day, because I'm barely functioning physically.
When I'm having a great day, I'm dry all day. I don't know when I'm having a great day, until the day is over and I've been dry all day.
Eighty percent of my days are neither terrible nor great, just undependable; minor leaks and gushes, and needed diaper changes.

As I stated above, I've been in diapers nearly 30 years now and wearing diapers has not affected my incontinence or retention whatsoever. My body does what it's going to do based on an assortment of triggers. Some triggers I can avoid and some triggers I cannot.

Many people on the Incontinence Forum started wearing diapers because of functional incontinence during bedtime. Either too many trips to the toilet preventing any good sleep, or too difficult getting out of bed without assistance to use the toilet. Wearing diapers did not change their incontinence, but it did change their sleep and mental well-being.

See a urologist regarding your bladder issues. See a gastroenterologist regarding your anal leakage. Know beforehand what you will or will not allow regarding treatment. You are your own best advocate.

Calico said:
I suspect I may have an OAB but never went to a doctor about it. I also peed a lot but only because I didn't want to deal with a urge to urinate during class because teachers required 3 passes per quarter. Then I couldn't stand to feel any urine in my bladder so I often went without my bladder being full. I did try bladder training by holding it but I couldn't stand the urge to urinate feeling. I gave up in my twenties. I just wear diapers now. I have always liked them anyway since childhood.

About peeing myself, I started to actually leak urine after having kids. I used to just drip urine after going to the bathroom and I was told this was normal.

Sorry I don't have any advice here other than I understand your concern that using diapers may make your issue worse which is often true. This was simply a tough decision I made for myself.
I have a neurological condition that I've been learning actually can affect the nerves in the bladder. But I am going to talk to my primary care about it in case it's something but I've had this problem since I was 14 so for the past 19 years I haven't had anybody really figure it was anything to do anything about. Most it was a UTI or some kind of infection. I have been wearing the diapers the past three nights now. I'm still getting used to sleeping in them I know I definitely involuntarily used one yesterday because I have a migraine that caused me to have a lot of pain.

Calico said:

I have a neurological condition that I've been learning actually can affect the nerves in the bladder. But I am going to talk to my primary care about it in case it's something but I've had this problem since I was 14 so for the past 19 years I haven't had anybody really figure it was anything to do anything about. Most it was a UTI or some kind of infection. I have been wearing the diapers the past three nights now. I'm still getting used to sleeping in them I know I definitely involuntarily used one yesterday because I have a migraine that caused me to have a lot of pain
hbic60 said:
Ceary, your situation seems to be a quite difficult, I try to sort out which helpful thoughts I could bring to you. What I could figure out is that - besides of other medical conditions - you are. struggling with some kind of urinary incontinence. On one hand it seems you feel some kind of embarrassment or shame with protection, on the other hand you are also afraid that with wearing protection your incontinence would get worse. This is something I Ould take of your shoulders, incontinence is not worsening with wearing protection or is getting better if you avoid this, it's a medical condition which has nothing to do what you are wearing.
What I would like to bring up is "quality of life". If you quality of life can be enhanced with wearing protection, there is absolutely no shame to do so. It's not harming, doesn't make anything worse and if it makes you feel better and gives you more freedom then go for it. If you feel better not to do so, sty rather ner a toilet or don't care about some wet pants, just leave it!
I've been thinking very seriously about my quality of health. I have a neurological condition that has affected my stomach, my digestion, my throat muscles, and it probably is affecting my bladder, because it's all nerves. And it's not stress related. I will speak with my doctor further just in case so it's not an infection but it probably is not anything I haven't experienced in 19 years of having this issue. I've been trying to get myself used to wearing at night the past few nights but it's been tough to adjust.

Jorelaxed said:
Hello Ceary, you are most definitely in a tough situation, I was feeling like that many years ago when I first started having to wear due to my extruded discs. It is a very difficult choice.
I just got tired of the constant leaks and urges and opted being diapered 24/7.
Since then I have been able to fully enjoy life, go out, be more calm and less cranky due to constantly worrying about accidents.
If diapers help you live/ manage the wetting then by all means use them a daily living tool, I know they have helped me quite a bit.😊
They are definitely a tool that I have been thinking about because I am struggling a lot and I need some kind of peace of mind. I'm just trying to get used to wearing them in general. I only wore them off and on as a DL prior but I really had steered away from it because of my wanting to not associate with what I could understand within myself. But as far as medical goes it's been 19 years of having this issue. The past three nights I've been struggling to get comfortable wearing diapers at night.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Jorelaxed
Rob110 said:
My OAB issue started almost 10 years ago and I started to wear 24/7 9+ years ago the stress on worrying if Im going to make the bath in time or the times I didn't make it in time wasn’t worth it. Yes over a short time I became diaper dependent as I lost my remaining control but the stress free feeling of not worrying about peeing my pants was wort it.

You get use to being diapered 24/7 quickly and will realize life really doesn’t change much and rarely does some one notice Im diapered only 2 people in 9 years have said anything and it was my taking my backpack with me to the washroom at a clients that caused the questions. Just said medical issue and nothing was ever said again.

I have no regrets choosing diapers vrs meds to manage my bladder issue, I just wish our insurance would cover the cost :) , find a diaper you can trust like Betterdry (they are my choice) and they have kept my pants dry .
I've been struggling the last few nights to be comfortable wearing but I'm getting more confidence. I was able to not have to hide in the dark after putting one on. I just wore my regular pants over them in front of my boyfriend. He is very supportive. I do know that the cost of diapers is expensive so I'm trying to get free or buy 2 samples to be able to see what I like.

CheshireCat said:
Ceary,
I have a neuromuscular genetic disorder that causes overall intermittent paralysis, weakness, and spasticity. I've had a neurogenic bladder all my life (almost 69 years old) with incontinence and retention since I was 39. I've been in diapers nearly 30 years now and it has not affected my incontinence or retention whatsoever.

When I'm having a terrible day, I leak like a sieve. I know when I'm having a terrible day, because I'm barely functioning physically.
When I'm having a great day, I'm dry all day. I don't know when I'm having a great day, until the day is over and I've been dry all day.
Eighty percent of my days are neither terrible nor great, just undependable; minor leaks and gushes, and needed diaper changes.

As I stated above, I've been in diapers nearly 30 years now and wearing diapers has not affected my incontinence or retention whatsoever. My body does what it's going to do based on an assortment of triggers. Some triggers I can avoid and some triggers I cannot.

Many people on the Incontinence Forum started wearing diapers because of functional incontinence during bedtime. Either too many trips to the toilet preventing any good sleep, or too difficult getting out of bed without assistance to use the toilet. Wearing diapers did not change their incontinence, but it did change their sleep and mental well-being.

See a urologist regarding your bladder issues. See a gastroenterologist regarding your anal leakage. Know beforehand what you will or will not allow regarding treatment. You are your own best advocate.
It's been 19 years since I had the issue with the bladder. And it's been 11 years since I've had issues with my IBS. I'm revisiting everything speaking with my new primary care physician. Wearing diapers maybe the simplest thing for me ATM.

Ceary said:
They are definitely a tool that I have been thinking about because I am struggling a lot and I need some kind of peace of mind. I'm just trying to get used to wearing them in general. I only wore them off and on as a DL prior but I really had steered away from it because of my wanting to not associate with what I could understand within myself. But as far as medical goes it's been 19 years of having this issue. The past three nights I've been struggling to get comfortable wearing diapers at night.
I will admit, it was difficult for me at the begining.
I started drinking hot Chamomile tea right before I go to bed and that helped me get a goodnights sleep.
In time and using the diapers more and more, your mind becomes accustomed and you will start sleeping normally.

Back