Airlines

Mehrabad98

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Thought I'd start a thread discussing airlines we've flown/plan on flying. I'm not a true AvGeek, but I do like civil aviation and trying different airlines/routings. I'm planning to fly on my favorite European airline next month, Swiss from SFO to ZRH. I'm really looking forward to this flight because I got a cheap upgrade to their new premium economy. I've flown on their economy twice before and it was a fantastic experience. I don't know how Lufthansa got a 5 star rating but Swiss only got 4 stars. Last time I flew Swiss I was 14, but now I'm 19 so I'm looking forward to wining and dining onboard, especially since their premium economy serves booze off of the business class wine list. I'm from a wine producing region so I'm keen to try something more "exotic", maybe a Swiss or German white since it's really hard to get those here.
My overall favorite airline would definitely be Qatar Airways. The seats are comfortable, the service is great, and the food is restaurant quality, even in economy class. I've been lucky enough to fly their business class twice and that's in a league of its own.
I also want to give a special shoutout to Qeshm Air for letting me sit in the cockpit with the pilots and film the landing of a Fokker 100 back in 2016. That plane actually crashed a couple years after I flew on it.

Reactions: sfsjca and Deleted member 74558
One that kinda sucks is Air Canada xD

BoyPawz said:
One that kinda sucks is Air Canada xD
You and my aunt would become best friends. She HATES Air Canada with a passion.
Whenever I fly to Canada I make sure to fly air Canada not because it's good, but because my other option (United) is worse. Plus legal booze on Air Canada is a plus. There's something intangible about Canada that feels less hostile and standoffish than the states.

Reactions: Deleted member 74558
Mehrabad98 said:
Whenever I fly to Canada I make sure to fly air Canada not because it's good, but because my other option (United) is worse. Plus legal booze on Air Canada is a plus. There's something intangible about Canada that feels less hostile and standoffish than the states.
Oh my gosh... im about to fly United very soon...

i would personally never drink on a flight... as much as i love alcohol, im prone to forgetting things and getting lost xD

BoyPawz said:
Oh my gosh... im about to fly United very soon...

i would personally never drink on a flight... as much as i love alcohol, im prone to forgetting things and getting lost xD
I hope you have a great trip!

Mehrabad98 said:
I flew to London with my boyfriend over the summer and our cheapest option was United, with a 6am arrival (1am to us) in London. We flew Air Canada instead. Not awful, not great, but better than United for sure. $100 baggage fee and two of our four flights were delayed

hanbanan said:
I flew to London with my boyfriend over the summer and our cheapest option was United, with a 6am arrival (1am to us) in London. We flew Air Canada instead. Not awful, not great, but better than United for sure. $100 baggage fee and two of our four flights were delayed
I've only had one good experience with United and it was FRA-SFO in 2019. Actually, I technically had another good experience too in 2022 when I flew EWR-SFO, but that was in business class.

Y’all heard of PAL?

Mehrabad98 said:
Philippine Airlines?
“The heart of the Filipino.”
The thing that sucks the most is that there is no direct flight from MNL to SEA, which annoys me, because Seattle does contain a fair amount of Pinoys, especially in neighborhoods like Beacon Hill, or Tukwila. I guess that Seattle-Manila wouldn’t be profitable enough for PAL, even though about 24% of the population is Filipino. Like I’m still trying to figure out why that doesn’t exist.

I may be missing something…

BlueFazeButDL said:
“The heart of the Filipino.”
The thing that sucks the most is that there is no direct flight from MNL to SEA, which annoys me, because Seattle does contain a fair amount of Pinoys, especially in neighborhoods like Beacon Hill, or Tukwila. I guess that Seattle-Manila wouldn’t be profitable enough for PAL, even though about 24% of the population is Filipino. Like I’m still trying to figure out why that doesn’t exist.

I may be missing something…
It's mainly because PAL doesn't have a hub partner at SEA. That's why SFO and LAX are destinations for them because they codeshare with United who have hubs at those airports.

sfsjca said:
It's mainly because PAL doesn't have a hub partner at SEA. That's why SFO and LAX are destinations for them because they codeshare with United who have hubs at those airports.
Code-sharing is something I might need more clarification on… I only thought about choosing a flight, getting there two hours before, then flying, landing and baggage claim.

BlueFazeButDL said:
Code-sharing is something I might need more clarification on… I only thought about choosing a flight, getting there two hours before, then flying, landing and baggage claim.
Code sharing isn't something we need to worry about. It's just a business agreement between airlines.
Ex: I can book a flight from sfo to Vancouver on both united and Air canada websites with all flights from both airlines available to book.

I go to New Zealand every year from the UK. Now we always go with Emirates, they are consistantly good, but we have been with Singapore and before they stopped the route, Air New Zealand who were brilliant. Don’t ever fly BA, they are worse than dreadful, Quantas are good, but the best was having my own plane. A Piper turbo Arrow IV, brilliant plane to fly for short distances none of the ‘airport hassle’, as a pilot you just bypass all the queues etc. I miss not having it now.

Reactions: sfsjca
Back