Advice on Pads, and Avoiding Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skybluepinkalien

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hi all

Wondering if anybody could help with advice.

Due to neurological issues when I doze off, and throughout the time I am resting, I am completely free flowing, incontinent. The urine flow, just keeps coming.

Normally I wear the most absorbent shaped pads (Abena Abri San Premium 11XXL) with multiple boosters, and big knickers. Unfortunately having chunky thighs, fixation pants just squish the pads in the middle, giving a narrower channel.

Unfortunately even with this, being a back/side sleeper, who can be squirmy due to pain issues, along with the almost continuous flow of urine, I can still have leaks.

Unfortunately I am due surgery soon.

Cathaterisation is not an option based on previous experience, urology advised against it due to it aggrevating an irritated urethra.

Previously when we have stayed away, I have used the above items to catch any leaks, over the top of a Prevail Bariatric B brief. Again not perfect, but seemed to work, even though I could still end up with leaks.

Unfortunately in the UK I cannot source any Prevail Bariatric B at the moment.

I am trying to come up with a wearable solution, possibly similar to above, which ideally results in no leaks.

I looked on ABDL sites, as the items seemed go promise a higher ISO rating.

Unfortunately being larger, I am struggling with items that fit, which is not helped by being what I call 'wide fat'. I don't look huge, I do not have a deep belly, my waist is smaller than my hips (possible lipoedem), the nappy will fit when stood, but as soon as I sit down, everything expands width wise.

Options I have tried so far:

Tykables Waddlers were OK, but a bit of a, struggle fit wise.

I sat down and literally split a Rearz nappy, vertically, in the front 😳

The Rearz Inspire+ does not fit.

North Shore XXL hook and loop is a bit big (similar to the previously used Prevail) but don't have didn't seem to absorb much, and felt wet and heavy and a relatively low weight.

Dotty diapers did up, but as soon as I sat down bust at the tab fastenings.

I do have some more options to try in tab nappies.

If I could combine the Tykables with the North Shore XXL fit I think I would have the perfect item.

I have a latex allergy and need any solution to be latex free.

Sorry if this is a bit long. I am neurodivergent and struggle with filtering information, especially re:relevance.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

Reactions: PaddedRita, Diprs2, OnePiece and 1 other person
I find as being a big person and a side sleeper the only diaper that's not let me down is cloth prefold. I wear a 3x night.

Reactions: Diprs2 and Edgewater
I started decades ago wearing cloth diapers as they can be added to to increase capacity. Getting the correct size plastic pant can be a bit of a pain, as it is a fight between the size of the openings and the coverage area. I had found that when I was triple layering, I needed to move-up to the next largest size.

I understand your stated condition, as your system never takes a break. That said, have you worked at regulating your intake volume? Yes, you are faced with the dangers of dehydration, but it is worth looking at. Start with determining your intake volume and what is recommended for your body mass. Check where you are above that point and likely adjust back a bit and also adjust you intake times with a goal of more during the day, a less in the evening, before bedtime.

Please assure you are working with your doctor with this as it is a balancing game. To that point, may your surgery be successful!

I can understand the easy of Northshore's hook and loop style, but your should likely be looking at 'tab' style diapers, like their MEGAMAX. In Europe, you're looking for high capacity diapers. Remember that you need to set the disposable diapers by folding it in half lengthwise and then pull it lengthwise to assure that the side barriers are up and in they proper standing location.

Oh, and bye the way: Welcome and be welcomed to the wonderful world of ADISC! A very unique place as near everyone here is wearing a diaper!

Reactions: Diprs2
Edgewater said:
I started decades ago wearing cloth diapers as they can be added to to increase capacity. Getting the correct size plastic pant can be a bit of a pain, as it is a fight between the size of the openings and the coverage area. I had found that when I was triple layering, I needed to move-up to the next largest size.

I understand your stated condition, as your system never takes a break. That said, have you worked at regulating your intake volume? Yes, you are faced with the dangers of dehydration, but it is worth looking at. Start with determining your intake volume and what is recommended for your body mass. Check where you are above that point and likely adjust back a bit and also adjust you intake times with a goal of more during the day, a less in the evening, before bedtime.

Please assure you are working with your doctor with this as it is a balancing game. To that point, may your surgery be successful!

I can understand the easy of Northshore's hook and loop style, but your should likely be looking at 'tab' style diapers, like their MEGAMAX. In Europe, you're looking for high capacity diapers. Remember that you need to set the disposable diapers by folding it in half lengthwise and then pull it lengthwise to assure that the side barriers are up and in they proper standing location.

Oh, and bye the way: Welcome and be welcomed to the wonderful world of ADISC! A very unique place as near everyone here is wearing a diaper!
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately intake volume has never seemed to effect it, without putting me in dehydration, and effecting my functional bowl issues, which unfortunately can result in bowl impaction.

The last time I tried reducing my fluid under supervision I had to reduce to 1 litre a day or less for the urinary IC to be less of an issue, but this did not stop it fully. Which at the time was less that 1/4 of what my total fluid in take should have been for my weight and exacerbated my bowl issues, to the point I wrote a letter stating everything to the IC advisor along with how it wasn't sustainable.

Unfortunately the regular megamax did not fasten around my hips well, and as soon as I sat down, it burst open 😳

I am running in to this as an issue. Despite fitting the size measurements on the pack size, tab diapers are just not cutting it fit wise. They fit standing up, but as soon as I sit down and expand width wise, I am bursting out.

Currently depending where you look, I already drink less than I should based on weight. I am drinking about 1/4-1/3 of what I should be. So fluid wise should already be under.

Thanks for the fitting tips. Always worth a refresher from time to time 🙂

I am not familiar with cloth diapers. Somebody says cloth, I envisage the terry towelling squares my Mother used on my younger siblings in the 80's and 90's.

Thanks for the well wishes for my surgery 🙂

Reactions: PaddedRita, Diprs2 and Edgewater
Zernesti333 said:
I find as being a big person and a side sleeper the only diaper that's not let me down is cloth prefold. I wear a 3x night.
Thanks for the reply.

As I said to Edgewater below, I am not familiar with cloth diapers. Somebody says cloth I envisage the terry towelling squares my Mother used on my siblings in the 80's and 90's.

Do cloth diapers add a lot of washing? I only ask as I am disabled a reliant on my partner for the housework, and I am guessing with flooding, I would still need more than one nappy a night.

Do you have a brand that does larger sizes you can recommend?

Many Thanks

Reactions: PaddedRita, Diprs2 and Edgewater
The PROTEC Briefs prevent diaper leaks.

You wear them over your disposable or cloth diapers at nighttime, or during the day.

They're super absorbant, very comfortable, and they don't leave marks on your legs as plastic pants do.

Reactions: AUG168 and Edgewater
Skybluepinkalien said:
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately intake volume has never seemed to effect it, without putting me in dehydration, and effecting my functional bowl issues, which unfortunately can result in bowl impaction.

The last time I tried reducing my fluid under supervision I had to reduce to 1 litre a day or less for the urinary IC to be less of an issue, but this did not stop it fully. Which at the time was less that 1/4 of what my total fluid in take should have been for my weight and exacerbated my bowl issues, to the point I wrote a letter stating everything to the IC advisor along with how it wasn't sustainable.

Unfortunately the regular megamax did not fasten around my hips well, and as soon as I sat down, it burst open 😳

I am running in to this as an issue. Despite fitting the size measurements on the pack size, tab diapers are just not cutting it fit wise. They fit standing up, but as soon as I sit down and expand width wise, I am bursting out.

Currently depending where you look, I already drink less than I should based on weight. I am drinking about 1/4-1/3 of what I should be. So fluid wise should already be under.

Thanks for the fitting tips. Always worth a refresher from time to time 🙂

I am not familiar with cloth diapers. Somebody says cloth, I envisage the terry towelling squares my Mother used on my younger siblings in the 80's and 90's.

Thanks for the well wishes for my surgery 🙂
Something does not sound right as you are implying that you have high volume urine flow near all the dime, but, you are in fact dehydrate based on your body mass? You may recall that I stated you should adjust you water intake based on your body mass. If you are in fact that far below your body mass recommendations, that could be a problem that you need to cover with your doctor.

It is difficult to remember what it was like in the early days of being IC and all that I and others have learned about sizing! It seems odd, but rarely are there any link between the different brands and other brands. With each product you need to look at their size chart. Your widest measurement should be near the center to the small size, which should mean you are looking at an oversized diaper. Just be warned that each manufacturer is different.

Cloth diapers are now available in several material blends and weaves, not just that terrycloth you remember from you past.

I'm sure you are aware of them, but anyway, have you tested absorbent chair and bed pads?
While not what you're really after, they can help you with not getting the diaper leaks in your bed.
Very few diapers are 100% for us side sleepers, so they can provide extra safety.

Reactions: Edgewater
OnePiece said:
have you tested absorbent chair and bed pads?
I sleep on a NorthShore Champion Re-usable underpad, every night.

However one of the best parts of the PROTEC briefs is that you diaper leaks are caught completely.

So your pajamas don't get soaked, and you don't have to wash your underpad.

That means less laundry to wash, and more time for other things.

Reactions: Edgewater and OnePiece
diapeybabybrian said:
I sleep on a NorthShore Champion Re-usable underpad, every night.

However one of the best parts of the PROTEC briefs is that you diaper leaks are caught completely.

So your pajamas don't get soaked, and you don't have to wash your underpad.

That means less laundry to wash, and more time for other things.
Thank you so much, I will have a look 🙂

Reactions: PaddedRita and Edgewater
OnePiece said:
I'm sure you are aware of them, but anyway, have you tested absorbent chair and bed pads?
While not what you're really after, they can help you with not getting the diaper leaks in your bed.
Very few diapers are 100% for us side sleepers, so they can provide extra safety.
Thank you OnePiece 🙂

I have a few reusables, plus normally have a pack of disposables.

I do need to find one for our bed, which is a UK super king size.

Tried a king size, which is the largest most places stock, and it ends up moving a lot with both my partner, our large dog, and myself in bed.

Unfortunately I have never found them to be 100%, some how, I don't know how, it could by my limited mobility causing awkward movements, but I seem to end up almost wrapped up in them, and consequently they aren't laid where they need to be for leaks, which can be frustrating.

However they are better than nothing 🙂

Reactions: PaddedRita, OnePiece and Edgewater
Edgewater said:
Something does not sound right as you are implying that you have high volume urine flow near all the dime, but, you are in fact dehydrate based on your body mass? You may recall that I stated you should adjust you water intake based on your body mass. If you are in fact that far below your body mass recommendations, that could be a problem that you need to cover with your doctor.

It is difficult to remember what it was like in the early days of being IC and all that I and others have learned about sizing! It seems odd, but rarely are there any link between the different brands and other brands. With each product you need to look at their size chart. Your widest measurement should be near the center to the small size, which should mean you are looking at an oversized diaper. Just be warned that each manufacturer is different.

Cloth diapers are now available in several material blends and weaves, not just that terrycloth you remember from you past.
Sorry, Edgewater, I may have not been very clear. My full urinary, complete voiding IC is generally when I am asleep.

Day incidents do occur, but are not everyday generally.

I tend to drink small bottles of water, and such like, this makes it easier to get a rough idea if my intake.

The Drs. haven't been very helpful. Unfortunately on top of the neurological issues, I have multiple other issues which can effect the bladder.

As I have always had issues of producing more urine at night, all several Drs., and continence advisors can give me as a valid suggestion is, they see it in some people, as the body is in a more relaxed state at night, they produce more urine/have more IC then.

Thank you for that information. That actually helps. I have been trying nappies in sizes where I am at the upper end of the size chart, hence the struggle to fit. It also explains why I had issues with an item the continence advisor gave me to try, several years ago. I was at the upper end of the fit range, and when I mentioned it was told 'a nice, tight fit prevents leaks', ignoring it also cause skin irritation on the inner thigh.

Reactions: PaddedRita and Edgewater
Continence advisors, sadly, have never experienced what we do every day and as a result are reacting to what they have been told, /learned which is understandable. A tight fitting diaper has its benefits, but also can cause damming (restriction points). A fit a tiny bit looser allows the U-channel to form between your legs and the side barriers to sit fully up in place.

Please understand that this discussion is highly depending on your body shape. For smaller individuals, a tighter fit can work, but for us larger males, the diaper needs to be a little bit looser, hence a larger size diaper and not as tight. If you think about that soggy morning diaper and how much it sags between your legs. A bit tighter but with a slight formed sag when you put it on. FYI: It takes practice and making tiny adjustments to find your specific diaper position.

Most importantly, assure you have enough absorb capacity based on your calculated night time volume. I have always looked at diapers that have about 50% more capacity than my average night time release. This allows for those super, heavy flow nights, which leaks can happen, but full control of your more common flows and a dry morning bed, which is our goal!!

Reactions: PaddedRita and diapeybabybrian
Edgewater said:
Continence advisors, sadly, have never experienced what we do every day and as a result are reacting to what they have been told, /learned which is understandable.
That just seems so wrong to me, yet I understand how this happens. To be truly effective as "advisors", they themselves should fully experience diapers for a month as a mandatory part of their training. And not just in the classroom either! Get out into the public and get the full experience.

• Love
Reactions: diapeybabybrian, OnePiece and Edgewater
slimjiminy said:
That just seems so wrong to me, yet I understand how this happens. To be truly effective as "advisors", they themselves should fully experience diapers for a month as a mandatory part of their training. And not just in the classroom either! Get out into the public and get the full experience.
I think it's very rare to find a continence advisor that have experienced INcontinence first hand.
Hence their advices have to be taken as that, just an advice. You decide for yourself.

Reactions: diapeybabybrian and Edgewater
OnePiece said:
I think it's very rare to find a continence advisor that have experienced INcontinence first hand.
Hence their advices have to be taken as that, just an advice. You decide for yourself.
…and that‘s the reason why forums like this one are so important for us! We all share openly and honestly our own experiences with our incontinence products and our life’s being IC with each other which is the best advice you can get!

Reactions: OnePiece and Edgewater
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back