Adrian Street R.I.P.

Sissyleslie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Sissy
I was very sad to hear about the death of the former wrestler Adrian Street. Famous for his flamboyant and androgynous appearance, he became famous to British TV audiences in the 1970s.

Born Emrys Adrian Street in Brynmawr, Wales in 1940, his father was a coal miner. It seemed that he would follow in his father's footsteps career wise, but he hated it and wad determined to do something else with his life. He worked out, and with the hard, physical nature of mining, developed a strong physique.

To cut a long story short, he moved to London to seek his fortune and eventually got into the world of wrestling.

His famous androgynous look came about as one his heroes was the wrestler 'Nature Boy' Buddy Rogers. He based his look on him, and when he started his wrestling career, started to get heckled by the audience. Realising that he was onto a great gimmick, he then embraced this look.

He wore makeup, glittering costumes , even a feather boa. Styling himself as the "Sadist in sequins ", he would even kiss opponents to get out of holds and avoid being pinned.

It seemed that he was destined to become even more famous, but curiously left and joined another promoter. Eventually he would move to the U.S. and continue his wrestling career over there.

He was part of that 70s culture where men such as David Bowie wore makeup and the androgynous look took centre stage.

R.I.P Adrian, and thank you for giving us British tv viewers a colourful slice of campness every Saturday tea-time.

(And thank you for ripping the hair out of Jimmy Savile, who was later exposed as a paedophile).

• Sad
Reactions: LaLoneDigi
A larger than life character in a world of larger than life characters. Against the odds he found a way to stand out. I love pro wrestling. Always sad to hear another great pass on.

Back