Accidents while diapered?

PupSpaz

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
Over time, I've come to think we often use the term "accident" (in relation to diapers of course) incorrectly, and my admittedly anal-retentive mind keeps seeing it more and more. My thought process boils down to simply this: you can't have an accident if you're wearing a diaper. The diaper it's designed to be used, therefore "oops, I've had an accident in my diaper" makes little sense. After all, whether you have control or not you had the foresight to wear (or be put into) the diaper to prevent an accident, lol.

What do you think? Are there other terms or phrases we use that you define or see differently too?

Last edited:
Reactions: ChristianDiaperLover
i will not disagree, supose the term of "accident" is the other put into txt where if you were not wearing a diaper, it would be an accident, however, if you make yourself go when you sleep, would that be considered an accident, its relief w/o consent, so to speak

I sort of have this same issue. To me, an "accident" is an involuntary loss of control by someone who is attempting to maintain control. Thus, a toddler in a diaper wetting normally is not having an accident - if they're being trained, and lose control, it is.

So an adult wetting on purpose in a diaper is not an accident.

KimbaFoxNatsume said:
I sort of have this same issue. To me, an "accident" is an involuntary loss of control by someone who is attempting to maintain control. Thus, a toddler in a diaper wetting normally is not having an accident - if they're being trained, and lose control, it is.

So an adult wetting on purpose in a diaper is not an accident.
I sorta can't quite wrap my mind aroud the toddler being toilet trained example one way or another (and equivalent incontinence person) - they're still in a diaper to prevent an accident whilst trying to learn to use the toilet instead. Perhaps instead of talking about the toddler accidentally not using the toilet, it's more transitioning from using the diaper to using a toilet where using both and not having accidents because a diaper is still worn is expected.

Words are hard, lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one to even try playing grammer natzi anywhere and not terribly bothered by it, just funny how words mean different things to each of us and questioning our usage of them.

I would say if someone is trying to make it to the bathroom in time instead of using a Pull-Up or Diaper (you could pull down a diaper to use the bathroom if needed by loosening the top tapes) and they dont make it

That is an accident, if we are Diapered and not trying to make it at all; that is obviously not an accident in any sense of the word

It all hinges on Intent, intent to make it to the bathroom is what makes it an accident

Somebody could have the foresight to put on a Pull-Up or Diaper just because they realize they might not make it to the bathroom and using either one is better than not having one on and wetting or messing oneself (although I wouldnt trust a Pull-Up anyways)

Last edited:
Reactions: chuck and TheWolfEmperor
It could be that we were told over and over that we had an accident when training. It is along the same lines of being told we are a big boy/girl and don’t need diapers anymore. I think that has lead to the stigma of older kids and above that need to wear diapers as saying they are for babies if the unfortunate for them happens and they have to wear again... ranting and getting off point.

so part of it could be what we have been used to hearing and I agree, it isn’t an accident if you willingly go. When sleeping if you go in you sleep and we’re not trying to that could be considered an accident. The grey area is if you were to wake up and go in a sleepy state and barely remember waking up. Did you make a conscious effort to go or did you wake up and it just come out?

I don't think you understand the definition of the word "accident". It's something that happens unintentionally.

Reactions: TyphaHare and Fiammaverde
Yeah, it's an accident if it's unintentional, whether you're in a nappy or not... if it's deliberate, then it's just going to the toilet in your nappy because you can ;)

Reactions: Fiammaverde
If you leak through, without meaning to, then, that is an accident. Leaking through while meaning to, is both not an accident, and too much work.

Reactions: TyphaHare
Never had a real accident but there have been many times where I was busy and pooing in my nappy was much easier than going to the toilet.

So then it must be an accident if you put on a diaper intending to use it for it's intended purpose but took it off and it was dry and never used ,,, who really cares

Another important thing is, foresight to wear makes no difference. Accidents are unintentional. Sometimes one doesn't wear everyday because he or she knows it will be needed every day. He or she wears everyday because of not knowing when it will be needed. So if you're wearing everyday, yet fight like hell to make sure to keep the control you have, even when it's not as much as normal people have, use is accidental.

lacutah said:
Over time, I've come to think we often use the term "accident" (in relation to diapers of course) incorrectly, and my admittedly anal-retentive mind keeps seeing it more and more. My thought process boils down to simply this: you can't have an accident if you're wearing a diaper. The diaper it's designed to be used, therefore "oops, I've had an accident in my diaper" makes little sense. After all, whether you have control or not you had the foresight to wear (or be put into) the diaper to prevent an accident, lol.

The great thing about words is they already have definitions assigned to them for us. As such we don't have to guess or wonder what they mean, nor should confuse others with trying to come up with our own definitions. Case in point: Accident, noun [uncountable]. An undesirable, unfortunate, or unplanned incident.

So if you wet a diaper (on purpose or not) it is not an accident because at the very least you planned on it happening. However, if said diaper were to leak then that (probably) would be an accident.

lacutah said:
What do you think? Are there other terms or phrases we use that you define or see differently too?
HA, no offense but you haven't been around here much. You asked though..... Some don't even know the difference between love and fetish- no matter how much you try and explain it to them. No point in trying to explain it all here again though. Feel free to use the search feature here though, you'll find plenty on this already.

Slomo said:
HA, no offense but you haven't been around here much. You asked though..... Some don't even know the difference between love and fetish- no matter how much you try and explain it to them. No point in trying to explain it all here again though. Feel free to use the search feature here though, you'll find plenty on this already.

That made me giggle, I've been on here since 2008 vs. your (apparent?) 2016, I just don't speak up often but read a lot! Not offended here.

Regardless, Webster's doesn't have a dictionary focused on word usage relating to incontinence/diapers specifically, hence the open ended question as we all have our own quirks and perspectives which makes this community so interesting.

Technically, I have had accidents while diapered. Usually they were of the #2 variety, after drinking too much coffee or eating something my tummy just didn't agree with.

And Mother Nature leaves messages.

We've all had those, diapered or not.

Last edited:
lacutah said:
That made me giggle, I've been on here since 2008 vs. your (apparent?) 2016, I just don't speak up often but read a lot! Not offended here.

Regardless, Webster's doesn't have a dictionary focused on word usage relating to incontinence/diapers specifically, hence the open ended question as we all have our own quirks and perspectives which makes this community so interesting.
LOL, yeah I've been around a LOT longer than 2016. True I actively left right around the time under 18 was banned and membership in general took a nose dive (it was a dark time for ADISC). My old account was deleted, but I'm somewhat certain I used the same screen name for my "new" account. The truth is, I've been around since the early days of DPF (90's). Maybe not here exactly, but definitely around either DPF, Daily Diapers, Incontinent Support, Fetlife, ABkingdom, Diaper-bois, and who know where else that's slipped the top of my mind right now.

Slomo said:
LOL, yeah I've been around a LOT longer than 2016. True I actively left right around the time under 18 was banned and membership in general took a nose dive (it was a dark time for ADISC). My old account was deleted, but I'm somewhat certain I used the same screen name for my "new" account. The truth is, I've been around since the early days of DPF (90's). Maybe not here exactly, but definitely around either DPF, Daily Diapers, Incontinent Support, Fetlife, ABkingdom, Diaper-bois, and who know where else that's slipped the top of my mind right now.
Yeah, that 2016 was suspect, it feels like you've been around forever, lol. I always enjoy your feedback and experiences!

I have an accident every night.

Reactions: chamberpot
I have had bowel "accidents" several times over the years. Several times I had been wearing a diaper and thankful for it. A few times I had not been wearing one.

Reactions: TheWolfEmperor
Slomo said:
Accident, noun [uncountable]. An undesirable, unfortunate, or unplanned incident.

So if you wet a diaper (on purpose or not) it is not an accident because at the very least you planned on it happening. .

Taking precautions against things happening is not the same as planning for those things to happen. I wear a seat belt when I drive, and I own a car with airbags, but this does not mean that I plan to crash, and certainly does not mean that a crash is not an accident. Rather, it's recognizing that an undesired event may occur, and taking reasonable precautions against it.

I never intend to wet my diaper, and when it does happen, it is undesirable and unplanned, and I find it unfortunate. Thus, it is an accident. If you wet your diaper and it is not undesirable and unplanned, and if you do not find it unfortunate, then it is not an accident.

Reactions: mayhem and PupSpaz
Back