A Really Enjoyable and Economical Nappy Combo for me

BlankieLover

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Ever since Abena stopped the PE backed M4 and Drylife don't seem to be making them any more, I switched to more "ABDL" style diapers. Some are nice but I've always loved the old M4s. I guess I'm old school like that. I also find the plastic backing to which the tabs are attached too thick and stiff on some of them and I find the rubbing of the thick material against my hips uncomfortable (yeah I know, I'm very particular and fussy)!

ABDL nappies are pretty expensive too so I've been looking for a more economical option. I love layers, loads and loads of soft layers with a mix of disposables and cotton so....

I use Molicare Slip Maxi PE Backed, 2 Ontex Maxi insert Pads in the middle (not the PE backed ones). Then on top I have my Bambinex Adult washable nappy. It's an all-in-one Velcro thing with polyurethane backing. Finally, I have a good old fluffy cotton square folded kite-style and pinned on with 4 pins.

Pure bliss!!!

BlankieLover said:
Ever since Abena stopped the PE backed M4 and Drylife don't seem to be making them any more, I switched to more "ABDL" style diapers. Some are nice but I've always loved the old M4s. I guess I'm old school like that. I also find the plastic backing to which the tabs are attached too thick and stiff on some of them and I find the rubbing of the thick material against my hips uncomfortable (yeah I know, I'm very particular and fussy)!

ABDL nappies are pretty expensive too so I've been looking for a more economical option. I love layers, loads and loads of soft layers with a mix of disposables and cotton so....

I use Molicare Slip Maxi PE Backed, 2 Ontex Maxi insert Pads in the middle (not the PE backed ones). Then on top I have my Bambinex Adult washable nappy. It's an all-in-one Velcro thing with polyurethane backing. Finally, I have a good old fluffy cotton square folded kite-style and pinned on with 4 pins.

Pure bliss!!!

I never heard of Abena stopping production of the PE shell M or L 4. As far as I am aware both are still being produced and available, insofar as I have heard.

I admit, I haven't bought any Abena (or anything else) in well over a year as the VA (FINALLY!!!) is providing me with the Megamax straight from Northshore. Prior to this occurring I was mostly relying on Betterdry and Betterdry "DAY" though I also was buying the Abena L4 for daytime wear before the Betterdry DAY was available. I've used the Abena & Molicare since 2004 when my issues started once i learned that "real" adult diapers existed as I was relying on what you see in stores because I thought I needed the slimmest diaper ever because everyone on Earth would "somehow" instantly know I was wearing a diaper which turned out to be one of the furthest things from the truth. People WILL definitely see soaking wet, dripping pants and puddles though. I learned that the hard way.

I just did a quick search and the PE Abena is available from a myriad of sellers.

Hope you find what you're looking for. IF you can't get the Abena where you're at, consider the Betterdry "DAY" as they're very comparable to the Abena, Molicare Maxi etc. and you get 60 in a case, making the price per diaper very comparable to the competition.

CptKirk

CptKirk said:
I never heard of Abena stopping production of the PE shell M or L 4. As far as I am aware both are still being produced and available, insofar as I have heard.

I admit, I haven't bought any Abena (or anything else) in well over a year as the VA (FINALLY!!!) is providing me with the Megamax straight from Northshore. Prior to this occurring I was mostly relying on Betterdry and Betterdry "DAY" though I also was buying the Abena L4 for daytime wear before the Betterdry DAY was available. I've used the Abena & Molicare since 2004 when my issues started once i learned that "real" adult diapers existed as I was relying on what you see in stores because I thought I needed the slimmest diaper ever because everyone on Earth would "somehow" instantly know I was wearing a diaper which turned out to be one of the furthest things from the truth. People WILL definitely see soaking wet, dripping pants and puddles though. I learned that the hard way.

I just did a quick search and the PE Abena is available from a myriad of sellers.

Hope you find what you're looking for. IF you can't get the Abena where you're at, consider the Betterdry "DAY" as they're very comparable to the Abena, Molicare Maxi etc. and you get 60 in a case, making the price per diaper very comparable to the competition.

CptKirk

Ah, I should mention I'm in the Northern Ireland, technically part of the UK but we're separated by the Irish sea. Abena here have drastically changed from the old 14 pack, PE-backed, to that annoying cotton-like outer to a complete redesign to be more like Tena, where you get 21 thin nappies per pack.

Betterdry are easy to get in the UK mainland and I love them, but shipping to Northern Ireland is eye-watering due to the couriers they use whereas eBay vendors selling medical nappies usually include free postage with cheap couriers like Evri or the national post service, Royal Mail.

They're made by Thrust Vector, who make Crinklz, so Crinklz are essentially Betterdry's with patterns. Jealous! Thanks for you help!

Last edited:
BlankieLover said:

Pure bliss!!!
I use Abena Abri-Form L4 24/7 and they are plastic-backed still I do not use cloth-like covered diapers

dpcare said:
I use Abena Abri-Form L4 24/7 and they are plastic-backed still I do not use cloth-like covered diapers

Yeah, neither do I, mainly cause they're not as snug and the tapes just don't stick very well.

Back