A humble attempt to explain why we are what we are...

It's abundantly clear there is no "one size fits all" explanation for why we are ABDL. I know many had traumatic events in their childhood that may have contributed. Others like myself had problems with toilet training, bedwetting and the like and formed attachments to diapers, especially those of us who were still wetting our beds during puberty and needed diapers for protection. But I do think Pierre has real insight into this as well. In my case at least, and for others I've chatted with over the years, my parents, especially my mother were very kind and supportive throughout my bedwetting, never harsh or critical, rather quite the opposite. It's clear I formed a close connection both to my mother and her kindness and to wearing diapers and rubber pants and wetting in them rather than using toilets.

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, mistykitty, Angelapinks and 1 other person
Maybe some of us are just born with these desires and tendencies, or maybe they have been imprinted on us at an early age and discovered later in life. I never started exploring my DL side until I hit puberty, and I never found my AB side until a few years ago when I fully accepted this side of me. My desires used to be strictly sexual but now I just enjoy being myself and embracing my little side, and my love for diapers is not always sexual. I find regressing very relaxing and stress relieving, and also fun!

I had a pretty good childhood. Even though we didn't always have a lot of money, my parents always went out of their way to keep me and my brother happy. My earliest memory of my AB/DL side is from when I was 7. I took one of my baby brother's diapers and hid it in my toy box. I didn't wear it and didn't know why I did it at the time. I also had an unexplained interest in diaper commercials growing up, which increased after puberty.

I love the scent of baby oil and baby powder. My mom put baby oil in the bath water for me as a kid, because I have always had dry skin. I used it myself when I got older and still use it now. There was always baby powder around when I was a kid, because of my younger brother. Maybe that explains why I like the smell.

Overall I think I was either born with these tendencies, or my early childhood experiences imprinted them on me. That's the best explanation I have for myself anyways. :)

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, mistykitty and littledub1955
Lyric said:
It's abundantly clear there is no "one size fits all" explanation for why we are ABDL.
I'm not so sure about that being "abundantly clear." Imagine you were physically wounded somehow. There are a million different circumstances that can lead to injury, but your body's biological functions will automatically start the healing process to repair the damage regardless of the cause. Medical intervention is often necessary in serious injuries, but that intervention is intended to make it easier for your body's natural healing ability to do its job, not to heal you on its own.

Switch to ABDL desires. If those desires are the result of a natural, biological function, then they are just as natural in origin as our other desires, like heterosexuality or motherly love. And, just like those socially acceptable desires, ABDL desires are not likely to be the direct result of some psychological disorder. I can't rule out that possibility in all cases because I know mental disorders can lead to hallucinations, addictions, and other phenomena, but, in nearly all cases, ABDL characteristics don't match the symptoms of those kinds of disorders.

Str88jacketabdl said:
My thoughts about it which you touched on are simply that diapers are in contact with our privates and we attach ourself to them because they simply feel good to wear.

This also may explain the huge disparity between female and male ABDL’s

Ehhh, nah, I never bought the disparity argument, nor the "it's because good touch" theory. That's way too simple.

I really don't believe there's that big an actual disparity. I think that the AMAB segment of the group is just much more heavily reported on than literally any other of the genders put together — speaking as a non-male tired of "where are all the girls" coming up all the time.

I just don't think the "privates are in contact" theory of more male ABDL's holds water. I mean, it completely ignores the fact that for a LOT of AFAB people, they still make good contact — remember, the clitoris is a thing that exists. If flush with blood (and sometimes not!), this organ makes loads of contact with the padding. And I know wetting myself gives that thing plenty of stimulation, with or without diapers, whether I want to feel it or not.

If it were just "the diapers touch your privates in a nice way" there'd be WAY more of us and probably more AFAB people than are usually reported, for the reason I just explained.

The 'good touch' theory of diapers is just too simple to hold up. It has too many things that are just plain too simplistic and reductive to work.

That's my 2¢ though. I may elaborate later but I have therapy in 3 minutes so yeah ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

• Love
Reactions: Kellycares and Edgewater
Pierre said:
You are absolutely right. But the need for regression doesn’t come necessary with an addiction to diapers. A lot of « littles »
do not wear diapers.
Also, we ain't all addicted. 💡

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater and PaddedRita
I want to add that there are many people who have childlike tendencies, or who regress, or who are like that because of having Autism (like me) where you can act like a child 98% of the time, or have Down Syndrome and likely hundreds of developmental or mental disabilities. I'm not sure if that crosses over into adult baby territory. If you don't wear diapers (I don't) but act like a child, do you qualify as an AB. It might be. I know that BitterGrey mentioned in a few overnight events he had planned, not ALL of the people who attended wore diapers. Some were age players but didn't wear diapers. Or if you genuinely act like a 3 or 4 year old through no fault of your own and can't help yourself due to being developmentally or intellectually or mentally disabled, does that qualify? I don't know, to be honest. But it may. If that is the case, there could be potentially be a LOT MORE adult babies than what you think or I think. Where do you draw the boundary?

- longallsboy

Reactions: Edgewater
Well the more I get into this and think back 60-some + Years those very early years and sometimes it is like an old camera where an incident or something from my past led me down this path. So when I was probably 2-3 I kind of remember our neighbor girl would my cloth diapers et and run me around in the stroller. Then we moved for my dad's job. Somewhere in there now I am 4-5 and some different girls say I do not know 4th -5th grades started using to play house and would diaper me and plastic (Cloth diapers.) Then I started school and I occasionally would wet the bed. Fast forward to 3rd grade we moved again and I do not know why but I remember my Baby Sister her bed was in my bedroom. I tried on her plastic pants a few times and I liked it. I also during this I remember one of my why I do not remember had some plastic panties that fit us and we tried them on and even fit us. I also had another that would help his brother deliver newspapers (now you know this is really old. LOL) Anyhow we delivering newspapers and this one house had a boy who was probably 12-13 his room window was right by the porch front door he was wearing diapers and plastic pants and it was not just a one-time thing every time we delivered he was wearing diapers. We moved again and now in other places where I have written about diapers and plastic panties I was babysitting my baby niece I took one of her Cloth diapers and put it on with my underpants oh my gosh I think this is what got me hooked on diapers they were so soft and felt so good I got a woody I think for the 1st time in my young life. For years I improvised I made diapers out of t-shirts or whatever, and I bought baby diapers for years buy using purge, etc you all know the deal we all have gone through this. Fast forward I am in my late 40s and my job takes me takes 400-500 miles from home I rent an apartment my wife stays back home as this job was only going to last 2-3 years. I am on the internet this is the late 90s or early 2000s I am on dial-up and searching the internet voila what do find but a diaper site and Adult Baby stores where you buy diapers and plastic pants I order and am really hooked so for a while I am alone I can and wet at home during the day night etc. But there are very few women on any of these sites. So I am keeping my secret to myself as I did not want to label myself a weirdo or pervert even today I am concerned about this. Then a few years I started not being able to hold my pee and started dripping trying to get to the potty. I find adult Pull-Ups underwear (Pee pants) because I find myself not just dripping but little spurts of pee so I start wearing Adult pull-ups. I get Covid and get hospitalized for a month and a half and put in a coma the wife is told they are concerned I will not make and as time goes on they tell her I am having bowel and other issues. I come out of a coma and for a day or two I do not pee and am drinking water. The drain with a catheter. They will not allow me out of my bed. Then I wet the bed waiting for the nurse. One night the nurse and of course I am already wet and cold as hospitals are inherently cold. She says the only is for me to wear diapers OK. I get home and sometimes I make it to the bathroom with just damp to sort of wet undies. I dig into my pull-ups and it goes to full-on wetting myself at this point I am seeing my GP Doctor and he just says whatever works for you. Now I am an old fart and wear 24/7 as I have become fully urinary incontinent and wear diapers and plastic pants 24/7 Yes sometimes I could get to the big boy potty but most times I have about 15 seconds of an urge and I am peeing in my diaper. That means as you all know I can get from my chair and maybe take one step before I am wetting my diapers. I attend many veteran meetings and at some of these I am up at the podium wearing a diaper and plastic pants and No One Knows I am Peeing my Diaper while Talking to them! Sorry, this was so long but I think I have finally put this whole diaper-wearing thing for me together yes I left out some of the things from other threads or blogs but I really wanted to go back to the early days and how I got hooked on the fetish and wearing off and on and now to being Incontinent and wearing Diapers and Plastic Pants 24/7.

Reactions: Edgewater and Angelapinks
I guess it's one of the very possibles ways to come into our club.

Reactions: Edgewater and Angelapinks
OmiOMy said:
Ehhh, nah, I never bought the disparity argument, nor the "it's because good touch" theory. That's way too simple.

I really don't believe there's that big an actual disparity. I think that the AMAB segment of the group is just much more heavily reported on than literally any other of the genders put together — speaking as a non-male tired of "where are all the girls" coming up all the time.

I just don't think the "privates are in contact" theory of more male ABDL's holds water. I mean, it completely ignores the fact that for a LOT of AFAB people, they still make good contact — remember, the clitoris is a thing that exists. If flush with blood (and sometimes not!), this organ makes loads of contact with the padding. And I know wetting myself gives that thing plenty of stimulation, with or without diapers, whether I want to feel it or not.

If it were just "the diapers touch your privates in a nice way" there'd be WAY more of us and probably more AFAB people than are usually reported, for the reason I just explained.

The 'good touch' theory of diapers is just too simple to hold up. It has too many things that are just plain too simplistic and reductive to work.

That's my 2¢ though. I may elaborate later but I have therapy in 3 minutes so yeah ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
It’s very simple explanation that holds water, but we’re each allowed to have our own opinions

This is the distilled summary of my psychological self-diagnosis. There is a 300-page book you can read (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NWV79R7/) which unlocked it for me. After many decades of searching, I have finally found an explanation which stands up.

The main discovery is that I have two personalities. One is a “fraction”.

Primary is the dominant “Adult” who is always there, always in control. The other persona is the “Baby”. The “Baby” is extraordinarily powerful. It shares consciousness but does not have executive power. It gets its way by providing comfort and pleasure to the “Adult”, but the “Adult” suppresses it mercilessly. Over time, an uneasy truce has developed between the two personalities – “Adult” allows “Baby” some of its demands in return for “Baby” feeding soothing and protective feelings to “Adult” whenever it is indulged. It is well aware that “Adult” depends on it to function properly. One example of this is that “Baby” has managed to convince “Adult” to permit the 24x7 wearing of nappies in exchange for peace and quiet (and endorphins).

“Baby” is not a fully functional personality. It is what is known as a “shard”, incapable of surviving on its own. In reality, both personalities are interdependent and would die without the other, but “Adult” has a better chance overall.

About one in a thousand people have Dissociation-driven multiples, and mine is the mildest form. I think I understand how my “Baby” shard came about.

I had a perfectly symbiotic relationship with my mother for the first year of my life. As the first child, I’m certain she outdid herself in anticipating and fulfilling my every need: that was in her nature. The literature about Attachment Theory says: “For not only young children but human beings of all ages are found to be at their happiest and able to deploy their talents to best advantage when they are confident that, standing behind them, there are one or more trusted persons who will come to their aid should difficulties arise. The trusted person provides the secure base from which his (or her) companion can operate.” [Bowlby, Attachment and Loss Volume 2: Separation p. 359] and further: “The period during which attachment behaviour is most readily activated, namely about six months to five years, is also the most sensitive in regard to the development of expectations of the availability of attachment figures…” [ibid]

Just over a year in, I had the rug pulled out from underneath me when my mother produced my younger sister. Suddenly I was no longer the centre of attention but, even worse, I came to this realisation only after what I imagine was an acute and brutal change to my environment/care when I was shunted into the custodianship of my paternal grandmother for the couple of days my mother was in hospital.

A broken bond is called an Insecure Attachment, and I lived it first-hand. There are several paths out of this dilemma for an infant. No matter which one is chosen, the effect is long-lasting: a reverse, negative impact on a child’s self-esteem and trust. Childhood attachment bonds are created or broken through the attunement of caregivers with their children, or the lack of it. A secure attachment is generated by the synchronisation of the caregiver’s attentiveness to her child and its needs. Attunement and the creation of a secure attachment begins and is at its most intimate from the first days of life. It continues in various forms through infancy, childhood and early adolescence. When the attuned caregiver acts on her accurate discernment of the infant’s needs, those needs are validated and the infant feels comforted and safe. Infants express outrage when their needs are not met (or inaccurately discerned and given the incorrect response). When a caregiver is persistently not attuned to her child, something goes powerfully awry.

Attunement is two-way. An infant is exquisitely attuned to his caregiver’s emotional state. It is a fundamental survival instinct for the infant to sustain the bond on which his very life depends. When the caregiver’s emotional state or availability changes, the infant adapts so as to repair the deficit and thus regain her availability. In other words, the infant compromises to get back into the caregiver’s good graces. A short, sharp shock broke the trust I had in my caregiver, possibly exacerbated by the “old-school”, harsher treatment I expect I must have received at the hands of my grandmother over a few days. If it did happen, it was a brutal trauma.

The strategy I used to surmount it was to spin off a shard personality (“Baby”), bury all my betrayal within it, and then suppress. I continued presenting myself as compliant and grateful although I was aware that things had permanently changed.

I desperately wanted to keep the best attachment possible with my mother, but I was not able to change her. She now had two infants to look after, and I would be correct in asserting that the younger one was now occupying most of her time. It is family lore that my sister was an extremely difficult and demanding baby. So, the only thing I had the power to change was myself. I suppressed my unmet needs and negative emotions inside “Baby” because I unconsciously perceived that they might invite emotional retaliation and threaten my relationship with my caregiver. I was only too glad to have her back, but disappointed at her reduced level of care. I hid these emotions behind a bland mask of acceptance and locked them away inside “Baby”.

This leads to the theory of Transitional Objects.

The psychological mechanism by which “Baby” derived emotional comfort after I found I had lost a significant portion of prior support was obviously my nappy. Transitional Objects are things like stuffed toys, security blankets and the like. My first TO helped me tolerate the temporary absences of my caregiver. This was not a simple case of a familiar but inanimate object: to me, the nappy was alive and represented and embodied my mother: the object was her! It was reinforced by her actions when changing me being no different than before – I experienced it as a path back to the good old days when I had had her undivided attention and the pleasure of being fussed over by her. Being put into a clean, dry nappy became the centre of my existence. I have no doubt the fixation with my waterproof pants came about because I compulsively touched them when she wasn’t there. They were her stand-in. Contact with my baby pants pacified “Baby” and gave the nascent “Adult” a way to assert control in the interests of self-preservation.

The transitional object changed when I got older. I was toilet trained at an appropriate age and never went back into nappies. There is a photo in the album of me with my literal security blanket. I still have it: my mother gave it to me with a lot of my other baby stuff, decades ago. I was quite elaborate with my security blanket ritual: I would suck on a small part of it to make it wet, then bite the wet patch into a point which I used to tickle my cheek as I went to sleep. The longer the process, the more it dried out and the more pronounced the tickle. I remember planning the steps out to get maximum advantage of the sensation versus time to achieve. This phase lasted until I was about 6. I know I stopped it before I went into Class 1 as a conscious decision: I was a “big boy” now!

“Baby” remained a deeply-buried part of my psyche, but it is only since I read this book that I have understood this. For example, I have fragmented memories of seeing my younger sisters dressed in their nappies and plastic pants and being jealous. My mother kept a box of old towelling nappies and baby pants in the linen cupboard just outside my bedroom and I do recall that I often took a pair of waterproof pants to bed and put them under my pillow. I used them in conjunction with the security blanket: one hand would be tickling my cheek while the other was caressing the baby pants hidden under my pillow, so I guess the baby underwear Transitional Object never really went away. This is classic Transitional Object theory: “Biological children first create Transitional Objects when they are between 4 and 12 months old, that is before they have language or abstract thought. Infants first create TOs when they realise that their primary caregiver is separate from themselves. In response to the anxiety created by that realisation, they endow an inanimate object, typically something with a soft texture which can be cuddled, with special properties.” [Winnicott, Transitional Objects and Transitional Phenomena, 1953]

For a DL (which I am), wearing nappies is a highly effective means of preventing or ameliorating anxiety: it is 100% self-soothing. Waterproofs are Transitional Objects. Unconsciously, the baby pants symbolically recreate the presence of the childhood caregiver and offer a fictionalised re-run of the traumatic scenario which has a better outcome.

I acted on my urges in my first year of school. I wore a glorious pair of textured, white PVC baby pants over my tighty-whities and was just bursting to show them off to somebody. I remember standing in line next to my best buddy Graeme after tea-break and pulling the waistband of my grey polyester shorts away from my belly to demonstrate what I was wearing. I figured he'd be just as excited about my bravery in wearing such an awesome non-standard undergarment, but I experienced my first (and last) outright rejection there: something I will never forget. I saw immediately that he wasn't going to understand - he laughed and dismissed them as "farty farts." It was the fastest climb-down and subject change I ever made, and I remember hoping he'd forget I'd ever mentioned it. Fortunately, six-year-old Graeme had the attention span of a goldfish: it was as if it had never happened, and he never brought it up again despite us remaining close pals for years. After that, I became more circumspect, concluding (falsely) I was on my own with this interest. I already had “Baby” well and truly suppressed, and at that time was not even aware of its existence. However, “Baby” launched its power-grab around puberty.

I was 14, and it happened in a roundabout way. From the age of 5, all I knew was that whenever I put a nappy on, I would immediately spring a complete boner – every time. I didn't know what it meant, and I was often frustrated by its propensity to get in the way of pinning my towelling diaper which was a precursor to the main act: those lovely white, plastic waterproofs. “Baby” was compelling me to wear this clothing, but I was not aware of him yet. Since I had outgrown my siblings' garments, I was committing significant resources to the purchase of outsized towelling nappies and the largest white nylon tricot pants I could find. Even so, they barely fit and I was starting to think of cutting them up and manufacturing my own. I was fortunate to live in a large home with more than an acre of wooded garden, and my bedroom was in a separate wing away from the rest of the family. This gave me the privacy I needed to carry out my depraved acts. I used to go for moonlit walks at night, wearing nothing but my nappy (and its rustling cover), exploring every nook and cranny of our garden, sitting for hours out in the darkness on a deckchair I had liberated from the pool deck, set up on our property's far boundary, overlooking the city in the valley below. There I would stroke and caress my waterproofs, weaving complex fantasies about everyone in the world one day being compelled to wear them in the interests of world peace.

My routine was pretty much the same each night. I would do my homework, show it to my parents so that they wouldn't come and check up on me later, then retire to my room. After a quick shower, I would stand in front of a full-length mirror and carefully pin on my fluffy white nappy, the prop I needed to pad out the ensemble to get the right look. The mirror was important so that I could get the pins in exactly the right position, a task which was always complicated by having to keep pushing my eager member back into the inviting folds of the nappy. The piece de resistance came next. I would unfold a pair of those glorious nylon waterproofs and roll the white material between my fingers to hear its characteristic crackling sound, then pull it over the bulging nappy.

Then, one night, I was busy dressing when my unruly appendage broke free of the nappy's waistband at the very moment I was pulling the waterproofs up and over the towelling, its head actually touching the rustling plastic. Time stood still as I experienced my very first climax. I hadn't even had a wet dream before (that I knew of), so it came as a complete surprise. After that, “Baby” was in the ascendent.

Nappies functioned to hold my persona together in its darkest hour (puberty and coming of age), both personalities pulling together against the external threats.

There are two types of anxiety: State and Trait. State Anxiety is transient and in defined circumstances (e.g. parachuting without the aeroplane being on fire, appearing on TV etc), while Trait is the underlying, ever-present part of personality which can be experienced in chronic and sometimes episodic form. I found “Baby” inoculated me from my Trait Anxiety through its conditioning to accept the ongoing comfort of being in nappies. I persist in this behaviour because it is highly effective at preventing or soothing my anxiety. I am a pretty anxious person even though I don’t show it.

Now that I discern “Baby” clearly, I know what I’m about. The final point of interest the author made is how the two personalities co-exist. “Baby” is always present and agitating for greater control. “Adult” will never let it happen. However, “Adult” cedes authority when it comes to pleasure – especially sexual pleasure – because of “Baby’s” proven track record there. The two personalities fully integrate at the moment of orgasm: the rift between them is healed until the period of refraction is complete. I can confirm this: I am at peace; completely at one with myself for at least 15 minutes after. Of course, “Adult” always tries reasserting itself by cleaning up the aftermath much sooner than “Baby” necessarily wants. “Baby” desires nothing more than to lie in bliss, grateful for a brief period of freedom. “Baby” needs gradual let-down – a measured retreat into subordinacy – and craves to revel in a short-lived period of wholeness. Instead, “Adult” officiously refastens the nappy, replaces waterproofs and gets rid of the evidence as quickly as possible.

Looking back on the various scripts I have made over the years, I can see “Baby’s” hand in all of them. It is very clear to me that any appeals to pleasure have to be routed via this shard and never to “Adult”. The first reaction of “Adult” is to reject: it’s all too much trouble / not necessary / not required, simultaneous with “Baby” jumping up and down, saying, “Please! Please! Please!” It’s like the “Adult” applying necessary discipline to an unruly child.

That’s me, anyway.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: steviet, DylanLewis, littlemoosey and 5 others
I disagree with the original post that started this thread. It is more than a matter of touching and coming into contact with diapers. To treat this as a purely sexual attachment with sexual contact as the basis of why these tendencies develop is slightly shallow. It seems deeper and more complex than that. While wearing diapers can be exciting to the touch and even be sexually stimulating , I find that sexual attachment on its own is not enough to explain the full range of tendencies and mental needs that people experience. It leaves questions unanswered. For instance, there are times when I have worn, when the sexual element of the experience meant nothing to me. In which times I was far more focused on other things such as just trying to feel like an innocent baby, or other times just relax and derive a sense of comfort and peace in lying down in a diaper. I wanted nothing to do with the sexual aspect at those times, sometimes wishing the sexual aspect would go away when trying to feel like an innocent child. There is a deeper more meaningful need that is trying to be realized and no amount of orgasm or stimulation is satisfactory. These inner needs do not go away just because one has had an orgasm (if that is the situation). Now maybe for some people who are purely diaper lovers, maybe their tendencies developed completely in a sexual way.. but that certainly isn’t the case for everyone.

ABDL has a unique duality to it that makes it confusing and complex. Diapers are both comforting and arousing, either emotionally or physically or both. Both at the same time is really tricky to deal with. A common factor that causes feelings with themes both of innocence and sexually. It's what causes the icky feelings that ABDLs know and is also why general public will always think it's icky.

I've been enjoying it for many years and am well past the shame and self acceptance phases and I *still* hate those things crossing over. It's like leave me alone I'm just wanting to be small and cute right now go away.

The "A" and the "B" in endless perpetual conflict. I need "B" stuff to satisfy "A" stuff but I don't like "A" stuff contaminating and defiling "B" stuff. It's not even just sexual stuff. I'm incessantly washing and drowning my little stuff in Dreft and baby power because I don't even like smelling my adult body scents in them.

🥴😵‍💫 What a awful curse. 😆

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Edgewater, mistykitty, Happy2BeInNappies2 and 1 other person
whiteplastic said:
This is the distilled summary of my psychological self-diagnosis. There is a 300-page book you can read (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NWV79R7/) which unlocked it for me. After many decades of searching, I have finally found an explanation which stands up.

The main discovery is that I have two personalities. One is a “fraction”.

Primary is the dominant “Adult” who is always there, always in control. The other persona is the “Baby”. The “Baby” is extraordinarily powerful. It shares consciousness but does not have executive power. It gets its way by providing comfort and pleasure to the “Adult”, but the “Adult” suppresses it mercilessly. Over time, an uneasy truce has developed between the two personalities – “Adult” allows “Baby” some of its demands in return for “Baby” feeding soothing and protective feelings to “Adult” whenever it is indulged. It is well aware that “Adult” depends on it to function properly. One example of this is that “Baby” has managed to convince “Adult” to permit the 24x7 wearing of nappies in exchange for peace and quiet (and endorphins).

“Baby” is not a fully functional personality. It is what is known as a “shard”, incapable of surviving on its own. In reality, both personalities are interdependent and would die without the other, but “Adult” has a better chance overall.

About one in a thousand people have Dissociation-driven multiples, and mine is the mildest form. I think I understand how my “Baby” shard came about.

I had a perfectly symbiotic relationship with my mother for the first year of my life. As the first child, I’m certain she outdid herself in anticipating and fulfilling my every need: that was in her nature. The literature about Attachment Theory says: “For not only young children but human beings of all ages are found to be at their happiest and able to deploy their talents to best advantage when they are confident that, standing behind them, there are one or more trusted persons who will come to their aid should difficulties arise. The trusted person provides the secure base from which his (or her) companion can operate.” [Bowlby, Attachment and Loss Volume 2: Separation p. 359] and further: “The period during which attachment behaviour is most readily activated, namely about six months to five years, is also the most sensitive in regard to the development of expectations of the availability of attachment figures…” [ibid]

Just over a year in, I had the rug pulled out from underneath me when my mother produced my younger sister. Suddenly I was no longer the centre of attention but, even worse, I came to this realisation only after what I imagine was an acute and brutal change to my environment/care when I was shunted into the custodianship of my paternal grandmother for the couple of days my mother was in hospital.

A broken bond is called an Insecure Attachment, and I lived it first-hand. There are several paths out of this dilemma for an infant. No matter which one is chosen, the effect is long-lasting: a reverse, negative impact on a child’s self-esteem and trust. Childhood attachment bonds are created or broken through the attunement of caregivers with their children, or the lack of it. A secure attachment is generated by the synchronisation of the caregiver’s attentiveness to her child and its needs. Attunement and the creation of a secure attachment begins and is at its most intimate from the first days of life. It continues in various forms through infancy, childhood and early adolescence. When the attuned caregiver acts on her accurate discernment of the infant’s needs, those needs are validated and the infant feels comforted and safe. Infants express outrage when their needs are not met (or inaccurately discerned and given the incorrect response). When a caregiver is persistently not attuned to her child, something goes powerfully awry.

Attunement is two-way. An infant is exquisitely attuned to his caregiver’s emotional state. It is a fundamental survival instinct for the infant to sustain the bond on which his very life depends. When the caregiver’s emotional state or availability changes, the infant adapts so as to repair the deficit and thus regain her availability. In other words, the infant compromises to get back into the caregiver’s good graces. A short, sharp shock broke the trust I had in my caregiver, possibly exacerbated by the “old-school”, harsher treatment I expect I must have received at the hands of my grandmother over a few days. If it did happen, it was a brutal trauma.

The strategy I used to surmount it was to spin off a shard personality (“Baby”), bury all my betrayal within it, and then suppress. I continued presenting myself as compliant and grateful although I was aware that things had permanently changed.

I desperately wanted to keep the best attachment possible with my mother, but I was not able to change her. She now had two infants to look after, and I would be correct in asserting that the younger one was now occupying most of her time. It is family lore that my sister was an extremely difficult and demanding baby. So, the only thing I had the power to change was myself. I suppressed my unmet needs and negative emotions inside “Baby” because I unconsciously perceived that they might invite emotional retaliation and threaten my relationship with my caregiver. I was only too glad to have her back, but disappointed at her reduced level of care. I hid these emotions behind a bland mask of acceptance and locked them away inside “Baby”.

This leads to the theory of Transitional Objects.

The psychological mechanism by which “Baby” derived emotional comfort after I found I had lost a significant portion of prior support was obviously my nappy. Transitional Objects are things like stuffed toys, security blankets and the like. My first TO helped me tolerate the temporary absences of my caregiver. This was not a simple case of a familiar but inanimate object: to me, the nappy was alive and represented and embodied my mother: the object was her! It was reinforced by her actions when changing me being no different than before – I experienced it as a path back to the good old days when I had had her undivided attention and the pleasure of being fussed over by her. Being put into a clean, dry nappy became the centre of my existence. I have no doubt the fixation with my waterproof pants came about because I compulsively touched them when she wasn’t there. They were her stand-in. Contact with my baby pants pacified “Baby” and gave the nascent “Adult” a way to assert control in the interests of self-preservation.

The transitional object changed when I got older. I was toilet trained at an appropriate age and never went back into nappies. There is a photo in the album of me with my literal security blanket. I still have it: my mother gave it to me with a lot of my other baby stuff, decades ago. I was quite elaborate with my security blanket ritual: I would suck on a small part of it to make it wet, then bite the wet patch into a point which I used to tickle my cheek as I went to sleep. The longer the process, the more it dried out and the more pronounced the tickle. I remember planning the steps out to get maximum advantage of the sensation versus time to achieve. This phase lasted until I was about 6. I know I stopped it before I went into Class 1 as a conscious decision: I was a “big boy” now!

“Baby” remained a deeply-buried part of my psyche, but it is only since I read this book that I have understood this. For example, I have fragmented memories of seeing my younger sisters dressed in their nappies and plastic pants and being jealous. My mother kept a box of old towelling nappies and baby pants in the linen cupboard just outside my bedroom and I do recall that I often took a pair of waterproof pants to bed and put them under my pillow. I used them in conjunction with the security blanket: one hand would be tickling my cheek while the other was caressing the baby pants hidden under my pillow, so I guess the baby underwear Transitional Object never really went away. This is classic Transitional Object theory: “Biological children first create Transitional Objects when they are between 4 and 12 months old, that is before they have language or abstract thought. Infants first create TOs when they realise that their primary caregiver is separate from themselves. In response to the anxiety created by that realisation, they endow an inanimate object, typically something with a soft texture which can be cuddled, with special properties.” [Winnicott, Transitional Objects and Transitional Phenomena, 1953]

For a DL (which I am), wearing nappies is a highly effective means of preventing or ameliorating anxiety: it is 100% self-soothing. Waterproofs are Transitional Objects. Unconsciously, the baby pants symbolically recreate the presence of the childhood caregiver and offer a fictionalised re-run of the traumatic scenario which has a better outcome.

I acted on my urges in my first year of school. I wore a glorious pair of textured, white PVC baby pants over my tighty-whities and was just bursting to show them off to somebody. I remember standing in line next to my best buddy Graeme after tea-break and pulling the waistband of my grey polyester shorts away from my belly to demonstrate what I was wearing. I figured he'd be just as excited about my bravery in wearing such an awesome non-standard undergarment, but I experienced my first (and last) outright rejection there: something I will never forget. I saw immediately that he wasn't going to understand - he laughed and dismissed them as "farty farts." It was the fastest climb-down and subject change I ever made, and I remember hoping he'd forget I'd ever mentioned it. Fortunately, six-year-old Graeme had the attention span of a goldfish: it was as if it had never happened, and he never brought it up again despite us remaining close pals for years. After that, I became more circumspect, concluding (falsely) I was on my own with this interest. I already had “Baby” well and truly suppressed, and at that time was not even aware of its existence. However, “Baby” launched its power-grab around puberty.

I was 14, and it happened in a roundabout way. From the age of 5, all I knew was that whenever I put a nappy on, I would immediately spring a complete boner – every time. I didn't know what it meant, and I was often frustrated by its propensity to get in the way of pinning my towelling diaper which was a precursor to the main act: those lovely white, plastic waterproofs. “Baby” was compelling me to wear this clothing, but I was not aware of him yet. Since I had outgrown my siblings' garments, I was committing significant resources to the purchase of outsized towelling nappies and the largest white nylon tricot pants I could find. Even so, they barely fit and I was starting to think of cutting them up and manufacturing my own. I was fortunate to live in a large home with more than an acre of wooded garden, and my bedroom was in a separate wing away from the rest of the family. This gave me the privacy I needed to carry out my depraved acts. I used to go for moonlit walks at night, wearing nothing but my nappy (and its rustling cover), exploring every nook and cranny of our garden, sitting for hours out in the darkness on a deckchair I had liberated from the pool deck, set up on our property's far boundary, overlooking the city in the valley below. There I would stroke and caress my waterproofs, weaving complex fantasies about everyone in the world one day being compelled to wear them in the interests of world peace.

My routine was pretty much the same each night. I would do my homework, show it to my parents so that they wouldn't come and check up on me later, then retire to my room. After a quick shower, I would stand in front of a full-length mirror and carefully pin on my fluffy white nappy, the prop I needed to pad out the ensemble to get the right look. The mirror was important so that I could get the pins in exactly the right position, a task which was always complicated by having to keep pushing my eager member back into the inviting folds of the nappy. The piece de resistance came next. I would unfold a pair of those glorious nylon waterproofs and roll the white material between my fingers to hear its characteristic crackling sound, then pull it over the bulging nappy.

Then, one night, I was busy dressing when my unruly appendage broke free of the nappy's waistband at the very moment I was pulling the waterproofs up and over the towelling, its head actually touching the rustling plastic. Time stood still as I experienced my very first climax. I hadn't even had a wet dream before (that I knew of), so it came as a complete surprise. After that, “Baby” was in the ascendent.

Nappies functioned to hold my persona together in its darkest hour (puberty and coming of age), both personalities pulling together against the external threats.

There are two types of anxiety: State and Trait. State Anxiety is transient and in defined circumstances (e.g. parachuting without the aeroplane being on fire, appearing on TV etc), while Trait is the underlying, ever-present part of personality which can be experienced in chronic and sometimes episodic form. I found “Baby” inoculated me from my Trait Anxiety through its conditioning to accept the ongoing comfort of being in nappies. I persist in this behaviour because it is highly effective at preventing or soothing my anxiety. I am a pretty anxious person even though I don’t show it.

Now that I discern “Baby” clearly, I know what I’m about. The final point of interest the author made is how the two personalities co-exist. “Baby” is always present and agitating for greater control. “Adult” will never let it happen. However, “Adult” cedes authority when it comes to pleasure – especially sexual pleasure – because of “Baby’s” proven track record there. The two personalities fully integrate at the moment of orgasm: the rift between them is healed until the period of refraction is complete. I can confirm this: I am at peace; completely at one with myself for at least 15 minutes after. Of course, “Adult” always tries reasserting itself by cleaning up the aftermath much sooner than “Baby” necessarily wants. “Baby” desires nothing more than to lie in bliss, grateful for a brief period of freedom. “Baby” needs gradual let-down – a measured retreat into subordinacy – and craves to revel in a short-lived period of wholeness. Instead, “Adult” officiously refastens the nappy, replaces waterproofs and gets rid of the evidence as quickly as possible.

Looking back on the various scripts I have made over the years, I can see “Baby’s” hand in all of them. It is very clear to me that any appeals to pleasure have to be routed via this shard and never to “Adult”. The first reaction of “Adult” is to reject: it’s all too much trouble / not necessary / not required, simultaneous with “Baby” jumping up and down, saying, “Please! Please! Please!” It’s like the “Adult” applying necessary discipline to an unruly child.

That’s me, anyway.
Wow!!! In a lot of this, I see myself and the explanation makes sense to me about myself in your explanation of the who, why, what, etc. Thanks

Reactions: DylanLewis, whiteplastic and Edgewater
Pierre said:
I am in no way a psychologist, so I apologize in advance to the specialists. But like many of us, I naturally wonder about the origin of our addiction. A rather complete survey, online for several years on the Abkingdom website, offers some interesting information. One in particular catches our attention: the vast majority of those who participated (several thousands!), report a childhood without problems: no divorced parents (paradoxically, the divorce rate among ABDL parents seems to be much lower than the national average), no unhappy childhood, no rape or incest, in short, no trauma, in any case that has remained in memory and has not been repressed. The ratio of those who were enuretic during their childhood also seems very low. In short, all this seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Hence the idea that comes to my mind: what if, rather than a trauma in the negative sense, abuse, etc... It was in a way a "positive trauma": gestures or manipulations perhaps excessive - and unconscious… or not - from the mother, during the change or on the child in diapers, inducing during the first three or four years of our life, orgasms or micro-orgasms (we know that the children have them), and thus an influx of hormones of the pleasure (oxytocin, dopamine etc...), until creating an addiction. This would be explained all the more by the fact that boys, who are much more exposed to this type of stimulation, due to their physiology (and perhaps also due to the mother-son relationship, which is sometimes ambiguous), are in the vast majority among ABDLs. Our attachment to diapers would then be the result of the brutal weaning that would have occurred with potty training, when the organism had become accustomed to these overdoses of hormones. The fact that, as an adult, the desire for diapers is temporarily annihilated after an orgasm, could confirm this hypothesis. This is also why it would be almost impossible to "cure" oneself of it, it would be necessary to "disgust" in a way the organism of the hormones of pleasure... Good luck!

I humbly submit this to your wisdom.
I think, broadly speaking, this is correct. I think a neural pathway, as you described, of dopamine and oxytocin was created whether the individual has specific memories of it or not. I think it being ripped away via potty training created a longing to return for many people. I can definitely say that happened for me. I think what's significant after that is that mothers clearly were not able to recreate what was lost. I think for most kids in healthy relationships is that even if they are sad to lose the bonding time with diapering, it is made up for by mom in other ways. I think emotionally present mothers are still able to give their kids that closeness they need because they're present and aware of their kids needing it.

What's interesting to me is the causation by the people you describe who otherwise did not or are not aware of any trauma occurring. I'm curious as to what occurred there for most people to have a longing to regress, want diapers, etc.

longallsboy said:
I want to add that there are many people who have childlike tendencies, or who regress, or who are like that because of having Autism (like me) where you can act like a child 98% of the time, or have Down Syndrome and likely hundreds of developmental or mental disabilities. I'm not sure if that crosses over into adult baby territory. If you don't wear diapers (I don't) but act like a child, do you qualify as an AB. It might be. I know that BitterGrey mentioned in a few overnight events he had planned, not ALL of the people who attended wore diapers. Some were age players but didn't wear diapers. Or if you genuinely act like a 3 or 4 year old through no fault of your own and can't help yourself due to being developmentally or intellectually or mentally disabled, does that qualify? I don't know, to be honest. But it may. If that is the case, there could be potentially be a LOT MORE adult babies than what you think or I think. Where do you draw the boundary?

- longallsboy
I'm autistic, and I can say without a doubt my autism 100% contributes to my littleness.

As for the OP, I can also say that this is not even remotely sexual for me, and I have no diaper addiction, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and longallsboy
Shilohsaurus said:
I'm autistic, and I can say without a doubt my autism 100% contributes to my littleness.

As for the OP, I can also say that this is not even remotely sexual for me, and I have no diaper addiction, lol.

Well, yes I can totally see that, because one core symptom of Autism is immaturity and lack of certain social skills. The thing is, if you are like a child 98% of the time, is that even regression to begin with. If you usually act like a preschooler, then that isn't even actively setting aside your maturity. I can "pretend" to be an adult, but that facade falls fast and is really not that much better than a 4 year old pretending to be an adult. Sure I can act "normally" (whatever that may mean) in 35 minutes at a restaurant for lunch, but then so can most actual preschoolers. I've lunched with hundreds of preschoolers and young children in my life (some were family friends' children and their families when I was myself chronologically a child, but a lot were also friends of mine who were young children even when I was an "adult", like some preschoolers that would come to my library's Preschooler Storytime, that my children's librarian friend also ate with along with their mom or dad). I've seen probably tens of thousands of children eating lunch or dinner in my lifetime, and I have NEVER seen a child (even a toddler) throw themselves to the ground or carpet in a restaurant and have a tantrum while crying and kicking. Never. But just because they are okay during lunch doesn't mean they were fine the rest of the day. I've had waitresses tell me that I'm doing well with my Autism and adapted well. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Just because you observe me during a lunch for 40 minutes doesn't tell you how hard it is for me to navigate the world's social skills rules or how my life goes with my Autism. You never know if I might have a tantrum later. Based on those kinds of observations, one would think most 3 or 4 year olds never had tantrums, were always sweet and were more fun to hang around then most adults. Even some young children with Autism can hold it in for lunch. I have a friend who is a mom in eastern North Carolina, who has a FB blog about Autism, that has 4 children, 3 who are now teens. The youngest one is now 9 years old and he has both Classic Autism and ADHD. He's about at my level in severity, which is fairly severe, though he can talk okay, just like me. I talk very well, actually. About 5 1/2 years ago, during a big Thanksgiving lunch with family and friends in another region away from home, A (the Autistic son) was 4 years old and he behaved himself so well there. When his mom and immediate family got back to their hotel room, A had a meltdown, a crying fit, like kicking his mom in the head with a cute red double buckle T strap shoe (a T strap shoe like that is hard when kicked. A frequently wore a longall or jon jon before he was 5 years old and T strap buckle shoes), breaking glasses, mom had to hide in the bathroom, etc. By the way, dressing up little boys like that, using the longall / jon jon / T strap Mary Jane shoe route, is very common with a lot of moms in the Deep South, like in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas. Usually in wealthier families though.

Just because you act okay for 35 minutes doesn't mean anything. But back to what I was saying, if you do act like a 5 year old emotionally and socially 98% of the time, there's nothing to regress to. I don't even think that even qualifies as an "adult baby", and especially if you don't even wear diapers. If it does, there could be tens or hundreds of millions of people like that, that do not consider themselves ABs including most Autistic people, those with Down Syndrome, and other neurodevelopmental disorders or intellectual disabilities.

A lot of Autistic adults also get infantilized by others, whose intentions may not be always bad; they may have good intentions. I know some parents of some friends of mine who are young children, and a few are overprotective of me too as well. My actual parents are also quite overprotective of me as well. But when you are always treated like a child, what other way of life do you know? Some Autistic adults resent being treated like a child, while at the same time, understanding that not everyone who treats them like that has bad intentions or wants to be condescending towards them. If that is the only thing you've ever known, as much as you may not like it, it may be real scary trying to be out in the real world which can be rather cruel and unforgiving at times - to anyone, let alone someone who is developmentally disabled. I want to move to the Carolinas, which is thousands of miles away from where I currently live, but that's scary too, because I need community support. I lived 100 miles away at a university residence apartment / dorm, for a few years, but that isn't quite the same, and my parents' home was only 2 hours away. I'm not suggesting that everyone just stop holding my hand and do everything on my own, not at all. That is like throwing a baby lamb into a deep lake with no life preserver, or over a cruise ship into the extreme deep end of the middle of the ocean. I am not suggesting that at all, if you know what I mean.

Having Autism is just a very difficult disorder to deal with, all the way around. With my issues, it would have been much easier for me (I've even had parents of young children tell me this) if I had stayed little myself. I think people would be a lot more understanding of why I am the way I am, if I actually looked like a preschooler. Albeit as a proportional pituitary dwarf. Most people would consider dwarfism a disability. But in my case, with my Autism, there could be many advantages in being 3 feet 4 inches and weighing 40 pounds than being almost 6 feet tall and weighing 180 pounds. Most Autistic children are seen as somewhat cute, but Autistic adults usually aren't seen as cute and sometimes are seen as rather not so nice or even somewhat scary. There is plenty of more money thrown into research of children with Autism, than into researching or helping adults with it. It is like as if Autism only exists in childhood or as if Autistic children stay frozen in time as young kids. I wish. If it were only that easy. Even with movies, 90% of movies featuring Autistic people have Autistic children. It's unusual if Autistic adults are portrayed, though occasionally they are, as in like the series "The Good Doctor". But even there, that's assumption that all Autistic adults are savants and could be doctors, but that's obviously not always true either. I am sort of a semi - Autistic savant. I'm a walking encyclopedia of oldies and soft rock music. I know almost every song from the mid 1950s to early mid 1990s, at least anything that falls under oldies or soft rock music. I also have a great knowledge in Geography and know how to get to many places across the United States. I'm definitely a street map lover, for sure. I actually majored in Geography in college and I have a bachelor degree in Geography. Actually, A (the 9 year old I mentioned earlier), is also quite talented in the field of Geography. I'm thinking if he ever goes to college years from now, he might also end up majoring in Geography. I actually made it to the state finals level of the National Geography Bee (in my state, I was among 100 finalists) when I was in 8th grade, 33 years ago. It was held at a community college at my state's capital.

- longallsboy

Last edited:
As a member of the third group that makes up ADISC, I elect to follow the happenings, to a limited level, within the two primary groups: ABDL.

One of the common features within the two groups revolves around: Why am I ABDL?

The OP provided a huge insert into the vast space of 'WHY'. Does it explain the vast space that fills the universe of ABDL? NO! But, it does provide a very balanced view of its segment, and should be received in a positive light as that segment has been left unaddressed. From my very separate vantage point, The vastness of the ABDL universe, itself, defines the reality that there are far more than several explanations.

Congratulations Pierre for defining this segment of the ABDL universe. An area that has long been undefined!

Reactions: BabyBluePup
"this would be explained all the more by the fact that boys, who are much more exposed to this type of stimulation, due to their physiology (and perhaps also due to the mother-son relationship, which is sometimes ambiguous), are in the vast majority among ABDLs."
tell me you don't understand female physiology without telling me you don't understand female physiology XD

• Haha
Reactions: EmX and Edgewater
Pierre said:
I am in no way a psychologist, so I apologize in advance to the specialists. But like many of us, I naturally wonder about the origin of our addiction. A rather complete survey, online for several years on the Abkingdom website, offers some interesting information. One in particular catches our attention: the vast majority of those who participated (several thousands!), report a childhood without problems: no divorced parents (paradoxically, the divorce rate among ABDL parents seems to be much lower than the national average), no unhappy childhood, no rape or incest, in short, no trauma, in any case that has remained in memory and has not been repressed. The ratio of those who were enuretic during their childhood also seems very low. In short, all this seems a bit counter-intuitive.

Hence the idea that comes to my mind: what if, rather than a trauma in the negative sense, abuse, etc... It was in a way a "positive trauma": gestures or manipulations perhaps excessive - and unconscious… or not - from the mother, during the change or on the child in diapers, inducing during the first three or four years of our life, orgasms or micro-orgasms (we know that the children have them), and thus an influx of hormones of the pleasure (oxytocin, dopamine etc...), until creating an addiction. This would be explained all the more by the fact that boys, who are much more exposed to this type of stimulation, due to their physiology (and perhaps also due to the mother-son relationship, which is sometimes ambiguous), are in the vast majority among ABDLs. Our attachment to diapers would then be the result of the brutal weaning that would have occurred with potty training, when the organism had become accustomed to these overdoses of hormones. The fact that, as an adult, the desire for diapers is temporarily annihilated after an orgasm, could confirm this hypothesis. This is also why it would be almost impossible to "cure" oneself of it, it would be necessary to "disgust" in a way the organism of the hormones of pleasure... Good luck!

I humbly submit this to your wisdom.
I think you are massively overthinking this. Essentially there are many reasons as to why people wear diapers, but for the most part they fall into 4 categories:- Some people might fall into more than 1 or indeed move between them.

AB. Adult baby generally enjoy some form of regression, AB age varies from person to person, most, but not all, experience little or no sexual stimulation. Wearing diapers is a component of regression. Vast majority of AB's/littles find the process therapeutic in relieving stress and anxiety.

DL. Diaper lovers tend to wear diapers also for stress/anxiety, but may also experience sexual arousal/stimulation, (though not always).

ABDL. Combination of both of the above.

Incontinent or other disabilities leading to incontinence.

I am all of the above. :ROFLMAO:(y):giggle: Minus the sexual/kink element.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kellycares
Pierre said:
Hence the idea that comes to my mind: what if, rather than a trauma in the negative sense, abuse, etc... It was in a way a "positive trauma": gestures or manipulations perhaps excessive - and unconscious… or not - from the mother, during the change or on the child in diapers, inducing during the first three or four years of our life, orgasms or micro-orgasms (we know that the children have them), and thus an influx of hormones of the pleasure (oxytocin, dopamine etc...), until creating an addiction.
My theory that ABDL desires are an imprinted characteristic fits in well with those observations; positive or negative. Imprinting, itself, is not a theory but an observable, testable, phenomenon in animals (including humans). In humans the imprinting process is believed to be completed during the first 6 or 7 years of life. Imprinting involves some thing and/or activity present during those early years that cause strong, emotional attachments to those things either immediately or at some point later in life. The strong, emotional attachments we accept as 'normal', such as heterosexual desires, are probably also due to the imprinting process.

Reactions: ILuvDiapers
Back