8th Annual Solar panel Brag.

egor

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I almost forgot to take the annual reading to see how I am doing on my solar investment.

So as of today I have produced 601 days or 1.64 years of my own power in the last 8 years. Plus I have put 0.37 years of power back on the grid. The other way to look at this is I have used 601 days of the power and 136 days like putting the power into a battery.

So on a $25,000 investment I have gotten $21930.19 back from it in 8 Years.

• Love
Reactions: Diaperpee8, BobbiSueEllen, fleckothefennec and 1 other person
Hey, that sounds pretty good! Almost at break-even ;)

Reactions: BobbiSueEllen
Well done. Eventually you'll be over the hump and into the plus column.

egor said:
I almost forgot to take the annual reading to see how I am doing on my solar investment.

So as of today I have produced 601 days or 1.64 years of my own power in the last 8 years. Plus I have put 0.37 years of power back on the grid. The other way to look at this is I have used 601 days of the power and 136 days like putting the power into a battery.

That's great 😁

My panels provided all my power needs including a small freezer this summer. Only had to run my generator around once a month.

The days are too short now and the forest is blocking too much light so I'm having to run my generator a bit.

Soon though I will be investing in a "stream engine" and will have all the power I could ever want 😀

so without it you would be almost $1000 a month for electricity? is this for just your house or are you running a business that uses a lot of electricity?

Last edited:
  • Thinking
tommytemper said:
so without it you would be almost $1000 a month for electricity? is this for just your house or are you running a business that uses a lot of electricity?
I do not understand your math?

I guess I should add most of the money gained is the tax credits and annual incentives for the first 6 years.

Last edited:
I didn't know that the tax credits and incentives were included in it, personally I would have subtracted the tax deduction from the install cost. I was just figuring 1.64 years plus .37 years = 2.01 years worth of electricity. So $21930.19/24(months) would be $913.75 per month. Which is closer to $900 but originaly I was just estimating it in me head.

Whoa, wait a sec. $25K eight years ago is not the same as the $21K in payback dollars. You are forgetting the time value of money and the investment you could have bought 8 years ago for $25K. Plus that solar power system is a depreciating liability. Just some food for thought.

egor said:

So it is once again time for my annual brag.

On my $25,000 investment I have gotten $22359.61 back in 9 years

So I have made 674 days of my own power and 153 days of power into the grid.

So with ruff estimates in about 6 years I should reach the point of the solar panels paying for themselves

Reactions: LePew, dogboy and ade
Back