storeing cloth diapers between laundry days.

how many use the wet pail method for storeing diapers between wash days?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

poobrat

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
  5. Carer
  6. Other
hi for those of us who use cloth diapers,how many of you use the wet pail soaking method for cloth diapers ,between wash days?

- - - Updated - - -

I like both methods,i have no pets or little children in my home to get into these pails.

Here is what I do, in the AM, in the shower I first do a "hand washing" which is basically let them absorb all the water they can, wring them out, 3 times, hang them to dry, then when dry put them in the diaper pail, and do the laundry once a week, this helps reduce the smell.

babyboy said:
Here is what I do, in the AM, in the shower I first do a "hand washing" which is basically let them absorb all the water they can, wring them out, 3 times, hang them to dry, then when dry put them in the diaper pail, and do the laundry once a week, this helps reduce the smell.

Same here when I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants.

Ditto. I wash my diapers out during my morning shower and hang them up to dry in the basement. Then I wash them on laundry day.

Just be carefully I have on two occasions caught black mold trying to grow,that will turn a perfect diaper into Swiss cheese when washed. If kept wet and not submerged in water.

dogboy said:
Ditto. I wash my diapers out during my morning shower and hang them up to dry in the basement. Then I wash them on laundry day.

In my experience a good “shower washing” removes most if not all of the urine. Back when I didn’t have ready access to a washer I would do the shower thing, line dry and re-wear several times before formally washing.

I rinse mine in sink right after I take them off. Then soak them in the pail with hot water and detergent. I hand wash about 4 hours
later and line dry them.

I voted "wash as soon as used." That would be a rather punishing approach to cloth diapering if not for the fact that I often wear without wetting--without urinating. When our kids were babies, we cloth-diapered them and used a wet pail, half-full of a water/borax mixture. Solids were first dumped (as much as possible) into the toilet and flushed, then the diapers were put in the pail. We would wash them every 3-4 days. The diapers were a mixture of AIOs, pockets, and homemade contours with separate PUL covers. Most of these held up really well, and never had any residual stink after washing. We used (and still use) the All Free & Clear liquid detergent.

When I am using cloth diapers i always keep them in a pail with water and about a cup of vinegar until wash day.

I said never but that isn't quite true. I tend to wear disposables more so I tend to time my wearing of cloth diapers to my clothes washing schedule. This way I don't have wet diapers laying around. However, this doesn't always work out. For those times I use a dry bucket and wash as soon as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back