iPhone 7: are you getting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustysniper29

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So the iPhone 7 is coming out next week, is anyone planning on getting it? From what I've heard the iPhone 8 is going to be much better (screen rounding onto the sides of the phones, professional grade camera, better audio, etc.) I just wanted to hear what you guys thought.

Nah.
I've tried both IOS and Android and prefer Android by a long shot.
I'm not a fan of Apple since they release phone after phone meaning the new iPhone 7 you just bought will be obsolete within a few years.

nope. dont need cutting edge phones. complete waste of time/money/resources.

Nope. I'd be happy to have one, but I've found that the best insurance on these things is to just buy cheapies. I'm currently using a $60 AT&T GoPhone (Windows) which is just fine for my needs. I'm sure I'll accidentally break it at some point, as I've done with several previous phones, and then I'll be out another $60. Spending $600+ on something so small that then needs a fat case, insurance, etc., is just not something I can rationalize.

i have a 4s still so i'm looking forward to upgrading to a 6 for cheap haha!

Nah got a Iphone 5S and really hate the appalling battery life despite being bought new.
Think I'll get the new sony waterproof phone next or samsung which are great.

Funny though my Ipad 4 has amazing battery life and was 2nd hand.

The Iphone 8 will have a child's voice that will randomly say disturbing things, especially in the middle of the night. There will be no way to turn it off, and it's battery will recharge itself from your bodies energy.

Nope. I very much dislike iOS and Apple products in general.

All the distaste for Apple in this forum is really funny to me XD
I expected at least a few people to be excited about the iPhone 7

I'm not getting the 7. I do like Apple stuff and consider myself somewhat of an Apple snob though. I went all out when the 6 came out and sprung for the 128gb. Now that I have it I'm set and don't see a need to upgrade for a while.

With that said I really like Samsung hardware as well (which is ironic cause most iPhones are made with Samsung hardware) and I liked Windows until Windows 8 came out followed by Windows 10 which was a big F up in my opinion.

But anyway, back to the 7. I do think it's kinda funny how much attention iPhone releases get, but getting rid of the headphone jack was a terrible idea and makes the phone significantly less appealing.

First off-there was nothing wrong with it. It did a good job fulfilling its purpose - transmitting an audio signal to speakers. It wasn't bottlenecking audio quality and took up a relatively small amount of space on and inside the phone.

Sure, I use Bluetooth when I really can't afford the (usually minor) inconvenience of being plugged in. But I always prefer wired over wireless whenever possible and have the option of going wired. The fact that "upgrading" would result in giving up this feature and flexibility goes against my idea of what an upgrade is.

Secondly, now my favorite headphones and ear buds I've invested in are now pretty much useless with the new iPhone unless I use an adapter (which is much less elegant and convenient than just being able to be plugged directly into the phone).

My biggest issue with it though is that they literally took it out for no reason what so ever except for the fact that they're Apple. They knew people used and liked the headphone jack and got rid of it without any benefit. It doesn't make the phone smaller or significantly lighter. It doesn't help battery life. It doesn't dramatically change the way the phone looks. The absence of it doesn't help in any way. It just makes it a less capable piece of hardware.

The lightning connection can transfer data faster than micro USB and doesn't need to be oriented a certain way to be plugged in at least. And it still uses USB on the other end.

But no headphone jack, seriously? Someone at Apple was literally like "Hey, you know that thing that everyone uses and isn't causing any problems what so ever as far as design and usability go? We're going to get rid of that."

Sent using Tapatalk on my iPhone

TheCaptain said:
My biggest issue with it though is that they literally took it out for no reason what so ever except for the fact that they're Apple. They knew people used and liked the headphone jack and got rid of it without any benefit. It doesn't make the phone smaller or significantly lighter. It doesn't help battery life. It doesn't dramatically change the way the phone looks. The absence of it doesn't help in any way. It just makes it a less capable piece of hardware.

Right or wrong, Apple has and would argue with you on all those points.

That being said, I'm on my 3rd iPhone, a 6s. I've had a 4 and a 5 (didn't like the 5, bad battery and it tended to lock up and crash). I usually keep mine for 3 years before trading so I imagine I'll be upgrading to an 8 or 8s.

All my connections are Bluetooth now so the loss of the headphone jack really doesn't bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@AAO

Of course Apple would argue with me, that wouldn't make their reasoning any more (or less) valid than mine.

So you use Bluetooth for all your audio connections, that's awesome and it sounds like the new iPhone will at least meet, if not exceed your needs.

However, there's still a large amount of people, like myself, who use both wired and wireless or don't use Bluetooth at all. What about us? Are we just SOL and should adapt our behaviours and habits to accommodate the exclusion of this tried and true feature? That's the sign of a bad product. A good product should ideally satisfy all our needs, we shouldn't have to adapt to make it work. It's like Apple telling all of us who like having the option of a wired connection that we're wrong and will have to give up what we've been using and like IF we want to invest into their newest hardware.

The thing is though, that I'm happy with the iPhone 6s AND you're happy with the iPhone 6s. I'm happy with the iPhone 6 AND you're happy with the iPhone 6. It kinda sounded like maybe you got a lemon when you got the 5 or something, but that's aside the point. The iPhone 6s, 6, 5s, 4 would meet both our expectations and needs.

Now their latest piece of hardware only has one of us satisfied with no real benefit to either of us. It really just results in a loss for those that like to use wired connections.

Edit: I want to add, Apple has stated their reasoning behind removing it and honestly, it really doesn't explain why they did it or even offer the benefits of doing so. Maybe there are details I'm missing, I'd love to see something that justifies it. I do like Apple, this is just such a blatantly not smart move on their part. I expect more from them and trust them to make smart decisions and come out with tech that makes life easier and more enjoyable. This rocks my faith in them.

Sent using Tapatalk on my iPhone

Last edited:
The only logical reasoning for removing the headphone port would be to force everyone to have to buy another licensed/proprietary adapter to use the nice headphones they already have. Money, that's pretty much always the reason behind these decisions. It would not surprise me if a manager came up with the requirement and all the engineers pushed back (and lost).

Also, I'm not an Apple hater. I used to have iPhones, and I have a MBP (early 2011 model that I still use fine) and like the Apple MacOS (it helps that I like Unix and Linux as well).

I don't understand why anyone would buy a new phone if their existing one still works. What is it that the iPhone 7 can do that other phones can't? And are these new unique features really worth spending hundreds and hundreds of pounds on?

I've had a total of 4 cell phones since 2005, and I only paid for two of them (the other two were part of the 2 year service plan, so subsidized). I have not broken any of them and have passed them down to family as I upgrade, but generally I wait at least 2-3 upgrade cycles before changing.

I don't understand people that need to upgrade every time. The changes are usually pretty minimal.

@TheCaptain

This is a serious questions since I no longer use a wired connection: Will it bother you to use the Lightning connector adapter.

As to why they took the jack out they say it made more room for processor, the battery and better speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha. No! I'm a Samsung Galaxy baby.

tiny said:
I don't understand why anyone would buy a new phone if their existing one still works. What is it that the iPhone 7 can do that other phones can't? And are these new unique features really worth spending hundreds and hundreds of pounds on?

In this case, no not really.

I use an iPhone because the device itself does a bunch of stuff that's useful for me. I answer email with it, can use one of the Google apps to join teleconferences for work without needing to be in the office, listen to music, play a number of games, use the calendar and reminders to handle my schedule, take photos, use it for directions, and a bunch of minor things I'm not even remembering. So I need some kind of smart phone because of the major role the device plays in my life, and I've been using Apple for a while so I'm comfortable and familiar with its setup and layout and I see no reason to switch.

But I don't upgrade every cycle at all. My first phone was a 4, and I upgraded from that to a 5s when they stopped supporting the operating system (and was pretty angry about it. My 4 was fine until I updated the OS and then it lagged like crazy and I had to revert it, which then meant I needed a new phone because no updates=security risk). I went from 5s to 6s because I had actually filled my entire 5s with stuff (mostly video and pictures) and since I needed a new one I decided to go with the latest one. It was also right on the tail end of the cell phone company subsidies, so I got the 6s at a 75% discount.

And now...well, the 7 is waterproof, that's cool. But it's basically the same phone so I see no need to upgrade. I'll probably wait until the 8 unless they pull a jerk move and mess up the OS again, in which case I'd contemplate jumping ship entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back