(UK) Exciting Waitrose Own-brand news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I may be jumping the gun here as I've not tried them but...Waitrose now has they're own brand of baby nappy. Okay okay some of you may have turned away at the word 'baby' - for those of you who stayed well done! They are manufactured in Germany and they look big! They sit really tall in the packaging so I reckon they'd be a good fit for a 'thinny' if you will. Now I know my waist size is just over being able to handle baby-sizes - that said I'm still quite skinny. To avoid going on and on I've not tried a for-babies brand for ages but I'm so tempted by these! (This means I may be purchasing relativlky soonish! Maybe one of you'll get the jump on me and that could happen - I really don't have a local Waitrose - but these looked too good to stay silent about! Would love to hear your thoughts and questions. bms

Sorry to burst your bubble, but they only go up to Size 6, 16Kg+. I had a look at them earlier today, and the wings are not very stretchy - they are barely elasticated at all. 24" waist at absolute maximum, almost certainly less in practise. These are no-frills nappies - no active-fit, no prints whatsoever apart from a green strip at the waistband with the number 6 on the left-hand-side. The construction is pretty good - soft lining, good standing leaks guards and leg elastic - though no elastic in the front or rear waistband. Not bad absorbency for a baby nappy (quick test with tap water). Bottom line, these may have a use as stuffers or boosters - 17p a nappy is pretty cheap - but I can't see any way that an adult would be able to wear one.

TBH, I'm surprised that Waitrose are offering this, given the kind of clientele that they attract. Yes, they do have no frills products, but I always got the feeling that they were targeted at genteel old ladies on a restricted income. This would seem to be targeted at people with babies, who are on a restricted income. Not exactly the market segment that Waitrose targets, or that would ordinarily choose to shop there.

Akastus said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but they only go up to Size 6, 16Kg+. I had a look at them earlier today, and the wings are not very stretchy - they are barely elasticated at all. 24" waist at absolute maximum, almost certainly less in practise. These are no-frills nappies - no active-fit, no prints whatsoever apart from a green strip at the waistband with the number 6 on the left-hand-side. The construction is pretty good - soft lining, good standing leaks guards and leg elastic - though no elastic in the front or rear waistband. Not bad absorbency for a baby nappy (quick test with tap water). Bottom line, these may have a use as stuffers or boosters - 17p a nappy is pretty cheap - but I can't see any way that an adult would be able to wear one.

TBH, I'm surprised that Waitrose are offering this, given the kind of clientele that they attract. Yes, they do have no frills products, but I always got the feeling that they were targeted at genteel old ladies on a restricted income. This would seem to be targeted at people with babies, who are on a restricted income. Not exactly the market segment that Waitrose targets, or that would ordinarily choose to shop there.

Yeah, blimey, was not expecting something like that from Waitrose! I still may try them out for myself anyway coz...I'm like that! I've never tried anything as a stuffer before so...there you go. Pleased we're on the same wavelength though concerning we've both clocked them and been intreeged! Thanks for the info'. bringmesunshine p.s don't suppose they're plastic-backed? wether they are or not I think it was the fact they're made in Germany that got me excited, as far as I remember there are more plastic-backed brands in Germany for both adults and infants and of course just-mentioned country is home to SaveExpress - another reason all this seemed promising!

No, sadly they are pretty standard cloth-backing. Has anyone seen plastic-backed baby nappies in the UK in recent years? I certainly haven't.

Akastus said:
No, sadly they are pretty standard cloth-backing. Has anyone seen plastic-backed baby nappies in the UK in recent years? I certainly haven't.

My memories not what it was (no idea how - I'm 22!) but I think Superdrug does/did an infant brand that was plastic-backed, I more confident of my memory that some supermarkets (or at least the big ones: Tescos, Sainsburies and Morrisons) have to plastic-back their economy/very cheap infant nappies (which sadly usually stop at size 5 or 5+) because they'd be ridiculously leaky otherwise (I'm like 95% sure these P-B store-brands are things you could track down for stuffer-use) - bad quol' and all that! Hope this info' helps enjoy the weather (sun and rain wher I'm currently - sorta nice!). bringmesunshine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back