so snuggies come with an expiration date...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerry

ADISC Moderator
Staff
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
I was about to throw away an empty Snuggies bag and I noticed an expiration date (two years from now) stamped on it. I've never heard of this before and frankly can't even fathom why a diaper would require such a thing. I checked my Tenas and Dry24s: no date on them.

Any clues?

Might just be a cute way of them keeping track of which packages to ship from the warehouse first. Ten years from now if they are still in business (and I've no reason to think they won't be) it would probably be best if they'd moved all their product from this year, as opposed to having some stack up in the back forever.

CodyRush said:
Might just be a cute way of them keeping track of which packages to ship from the warehouse first. Ten years from now if they are still in business (and I've no reason to think they won't be) it would probably be best if they'd moved all their product from this year, as opposed to having some stack up in the back forever.

I could go with that except that it was directly beneath a manufactured on​ date...

It could be on there because the adhesive on the tapes could start to lose grip. My question is where are
the diapers made?

My abena's have a shelf life on them. I assumed all diapers did.

Most disposable diapers have a shelf life of about 2-5 years, depending on the conditions they're stored in. If kept at a dry, cool and isolated place they can last more than 2 years, but after that oxidation will affect the padding and adhesive on the tapes. The adhesive won't work as well and the padding will discolor to a yellow hue. Beyond that not much else changes though, so if you don't mind the color and can staple or otherwise reinforce the tabs, they're still usable.

It's probably not something that the public should know about, a secret code for some unknown (but likely harmless) manufacturing process or inspection disguised as an expiration date. For us it's an expiration date, but to the manufacturers it's a code, a certain month/year/day might mean something different for the specific package. It's only relevant inside the factory so they slap a manufactured on date over it so that nobody wonders about it, but then again I could be totally wrong.

jeremyi said:
Most disposable diapers have a shelf life of about 2-5 years, depending on the conditions they're stored in. If kept at a dry, cool and isolated place they can last more than 2 years, but after that oxidation will affect the padding and adhesive on the tapes. The adhesive won't work as well and the padding will discolor to a yellow hue. Beyond that not much else changes though, so if you don't mind the color and can staple or otherwise reinforce the tabs, they're still usable.

These are Snuggies I'm talking about: they come with weak padding and lousy tapes! :)

(That's a tad unfair: the tapes stick; they just won't restick.​)

FauxPas said:
My abena's have a shelf life on them. I assumed all diapers did.

Same here. I've noticed use-by dates on a lot of different diapers. It seems like they started printing them around 8 to 10 years ago. I assumed it was some kind of new manufacturing standard that requires them for hygiene reasons (so that the diapers don't absorb so much moisture from the atmosphere that mould starts to grow).

I think all disposables will eventually degrade even if not used or taken out of the plastic. I'm using up some old Unique Wellnesses (the green ones) because they're just going to be useless soon. The plastic on them isn't great to begin with, so, might as well get my use out of them as a daytime diaper. The Snuggies plastic feels like it could dry out over time and crack easier.

But really, why would anyone hoard them for 2+ years? I'd rip through a case of Waddlers in a month.

Yeah, plastic degrades over time. Pee+weakened plastic=potential rip in the fabric of space-time. (Couldn't resist:) This is especially true of the lower-grade plastic-backed diapers.

I vaguely recall the related chemistry concept, but I'm too sleepy to spell it out...

Guess we don't have to about Snuggies clogging up landfills...

<snark>

MattiKins said:
I think all disposables will eventually degrade even if not used or taken out of the plastic. I'm using up some old Unique Wellnesses (the green ones) because they're just going to be useless soon. The plastic on them isn't great to begin with, so, might as well get my use out of them as a daytime diaper. The Snuggies plastic feels like it could dry out over time and crack easier.

But really, why would anyone hoard them for 2+ years? I'd rip through a case of Waddlers in a month.

Seriously. These diapers are ridiculously comfortable, especially with two on at once. WELL worth the price for the realistic "baby" experience. I just wish they would do discounts for bulk orders like the dreaded ABU did.

kerry said:
I could go with that except that it was directly beneath a manufactured on​ date...

I wasn't given that information :p

I remember having some Molicare super+ before.
I had a couple left of a order I got tucked away and forgotten for about 3 years.
Not sure if there was a expiration date or not.

The padding part was very dry and it broke up(the inside padding not outer shell) when opening it up to put it on.
After wearing for about 2 hours it was super broken up padding.
Like the padding part was brittle.

LOL! Touche, touche...

Diapers have always had an expiration date on them. It's not that they expire, but they might collect things being stored do long. The packages are not completely sealed and therefore its not digested top use them after so long. There's really nothing to worry about. Besides a bit of quality decrease, you usually have nothing to worry about.

I'm pretty sure this is the case for all diapers, just make sure they are used in a timely manner.

yes adhesive has a shelf-life. it breaks down, absorbs into the backing, or gets more difficult to release where it needs to. Tabs on the backs of tapes may pop easier, they may become more difficult (or impossible) to peel up to use, elastic for leak guards or waists may separate. the rubber in the elastics may break down and snap easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back