Star Trek Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

LstNwf

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Other
I haven't seen anyone discussing this yet, so if I missed it the mods can combine/close this post.

For those that missed it, CBS reveled a teaser for the upcoming series titled Star Trek Discovery at comic-con.

[video=youtube;QGsuM31IC-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGsuM31IC-Q[/video]​

The main comments coming out of it are that the CGI looks horrible and we are 6 months out from a debut with no real casting info or anything other then that short clip. They could be going for a more grungy look maybe? From what I have read, people are split on the design; either you hate it or you love it. I am in the camp that dislikes it. Its very obvious that this is not an original idea, but a rehash of a canned design that was proposed for the reboot of ST when TOS was canceled and made the jump to the big screen. People are even speculating a story where its a joint Klingon/Federation project given theres no real timeline yet.

Now I know they have stated that it wasn't the final design and things can change, but I dont see the ship changing that much with principal photography starting soon. I cant remember it out right, but im sure the Enterprise (Which I liked despite the usual view from fans) trailers (Akiraprise ftw lol) looked better then this.

Im not saying I wont give the show a chance. Quite the opposite; I am chomping at the bit to see ST on tv again, but that design just doesnt do it for me.

What do you guys think? Surely there are some trek fans on here.

I've been planning to watch it for many months and look forward to Trek coming back to the small screen.

I just hope they are going forward this time instead of recreating the past like the new movies.

I have sort of wandered away from Star Trek for the last decade or so though would try and give it a shot, any idea if this is original continuity or alt universe stuff like the recent movies?

Whatever they do I hope there is no stupid holodeck.

Argent said:
I have sort of wandered away from Star Trek for the last decade or so though would try and give it a shot, any idea if this is original continuity or alt universe stuff like the recent movies?

Whatever they do I hope there is no stupid holodeck.

They are saying its supposed to be in the Canon universe but details are slim aside from that. The word is they haven't even started casting yet which is slightly worrying since it's supposed to be on TV in 6 months. People are guessing either a story to bridge ENT and TOS or something following DS9.

Why does the ship look eerily familiar to the ship in phase 2?

Gundamexia725 said:
Why does the ship look eerily familiar to the ship in phase 2?

I've seen a lot of discussion saying just that since they debuted the teaser. I can't say I know much about it other then it was a canned design when they want to revive TOS on the big screen. Honestly to me that kills the idea of it being original if they are just gonna rehash a tried design. From what I read it was in a scene at Wolf 359?

I'm going to say something that's probably going to piss off a lot of people here but oh well.

As a long time fan of trek: The JJtrek films are not trek at all just good science fiction, they're the farthest thing from trek that is possible. Why is that relevant to this discussion you might ask? Trust me it is just go with it for now.

The new CBS star trek is NOT set in the JJtrek universe, to this I am very VERY happy, but; Keeping with the recent trend of non-trek decisions made by those who own the title (Turning trek into a cheap action film See:JJTrek) CBS is going to be making it exclusively available in North America on their pay-to-watch "service" and only air the pilot on actual TV.

THIS IS THE SINGLE MOST UNTREK THING YOU CAN DO THIS SIDE OF THE JJVERSE.

Star Trek is a platform to make important statements about how to better improve humanity in a positive constructive way while also discuss topics of importance in society. By making it pay to watch you kind of make the entire show hypocritical by making it capitalist. That's just my opinion.

All of that said: I like that they FINALLY got it into their heads that people want a damn over arching story WITH CONTINUITY. "Oh no no one wants continuity in voyager, no one wants it in DS9, no one wants it in Enterprise." Spoiler Alert: When they finally started adding continuity to those shows they actually started to get better.

So to summarize my post:

Continuity is the best thing since best of both worlds.

Pay-To-Watch is the worst mistake since Kai Winn's arc at the end of DS9.

AddyShadows said:
I'm going to say something that's probably going to piss off a lot of people here but oh well.

As a long time fan of trek: The JJtrek films are not trek at all just good science fiction, they're the farthest thing from trek that is possible. Why is that relevant to this discussion you might ask? Trust me it is just go with it for now.

The new CBS star trek is NOT set in the JJtrek universe, to this I am very VERY happy, but; Keeping with the recent trend of non-trek decisions made by those who own the title (Turning trek into a cheap action film See:JJTrek) CBS is going to be making it exclusively available in North America on their pay-to-watch "service" and only air the pilot on actual TV.

THIS IS THE SINGLE MOST UNTREK THING YOU CAN DO THIS SIDE OF THE JJVERSE.

Star Trek is a platform to make important statements about how to better improve humanity in a positive constructive way while also discuss topics of importance in society. By making it pay to watch you kind of make the entire show hypocritical by making it capitalist. That's just my opinion.

All of that said: I like that they FINALLY got it into their heads that people want a damn over arching story WITH CONTINUITY. "Oh no no one wants continuity in voyager, no one wants it in DS9, no one wants it in Enterprise." Spoiler Alert: When they finally started adding continuity to those shows they actually started to get better.

So to summarize my post:

Continuity is the best thing since best of both worlds.

Pay-To-Watch is the worst mistake since Kai Winn's arc at the end of DS9.

They actually announced last week that Bell Media is going to carry the episodes on TV stations worldwide; Space being the carrier station in Canada for example. I can see CBS keeping a tight hand on it though as they own the rights atm. I've seen that cause more issues then not as Star Trek Online has had issues with adding content because CBS didn't like it.

And I can see how the new stuff isn't 'proper' trek. You have a fan following like this it's bound to have its dislikes. The main reason I see defending the changes is that it brings in a more mainstream viewer then traditional ST would due to it being more action packed and honestly that being said I have fears that this new series won't get the ratings they want and will be dragged out like ENT was and die a slow death before it's cancelled.

LstNwf said:
They actually announced last week that Bell Media is going to carry the episodes on TV stations worldwide; Space being the carrier station in Canada for example. I can see CBS keeping a tight hand on it though as they own the rights atm. I've seen that cause more issues then not as Star Trek Online has had issues with adding content because CBS didn't like it.

And I can see how the new stuff isn't 'proper' trek. You have a fan following like this it's bound to have its dislikes. The main reason I see defending the changes is that it brings in a more mainstream viewer then traditional ST would due to it being more action packed and honestly that being said I have fears that this new series won't get the ratings they want and will be dragged out like ENT was and die a slow death before it's cancelled.

Oh don't get me wrong, I like a bit of action and some changes here and there, but you can't just do what the new movies did and remove the point entierly, fortunately its set in the cannon universe and not JJverse. Sometime between TMP and Tos according to what I've read.

Enterprise kinda sucked for the first two seasons, then when they actually had a good story arc put on them the show got good in seasons 3 and 4. They were even setting up for the Romulan War, the reason no one watched it anymore was because seasons 1 and 2 sucked so bad that by the time the show got good there was no fan base anymore. I actually liked enterprise's last two seasons, even if some of the episodes were kinda crappy.

Loved this movie.

I've never cared about the ships. I listen to my partner discuss things like ship design and inconsistent about lacells or however you spell it and I just tune out, to be honest. To me.. Star Trek is always about the sentient beings that make up the federation. About what it means to be alive, about the drama of interacting and getting to know things and beings different than yourself.

So yeah, I gleamed nothing from this trailer. I'm waiting to see what characters i'll be following through their travels.

That being said, the only bit I could possibly gleam from this is those apparent rumors that the design would imply a heavy Klingon influence in the upcoming series? If so then I admit a bit of immediate grump, I honestly feel Klingon culture has been explored to death. Would love some new alien races to follow and learn about.

To add a slight comment to the other discussion going on here, I loved all the other Star Trek series. I'm a fan of each and every one of them, with my favorite being an oddball in Deep Space Nine. People huff and whine about the new stuff too much. Absolutely not perfect, but not the blights on the series that people would have you believe. The original reboot movie and Into Darkness are about as good as the other weaker movies in the series. Would honestly rather watch them then some of the old ones. Beyond was very good, in fact and I would consider probably the best one after Star Trek IV.

Starrunner said:
-Snip- (To save space)

By all means you are entitled to any ranting or opinions you feel. It is after all Star Trek and you want to see it do well. Everyone is entitled to a viewpoint and expressing them :) That being said, I should state that my favorite of the series' was Voyager. I just enjoyed it more for reasons that I cant really explain. I did watch all of the others of course, but something with Voyager just stuck with me. And while the new movies and reboot get a lot of flack, I enjoy them because if anything it gets ST back into view again after falling away since ENT was canned.

Unfortunately that's where you'll see a lot of the issues. ST was never really a 'mainstream' idea. You were either into it and labeled a nerd or didn't like it and made fun of trek fans. Or you were hardcore Star Wars and took part in the usual arguments of which was better of the two. The reboot, while paved with good intentions do get a lot of negative buzz simply because they aren't what ST was from the start in the eyes of many and dare I say it blasphemous against ST canon. They did bring in more of the casual fans though.

Growing up, I was a member of an ST play-by-email RPG type group for many years. Stories were pieced together using the viewpoints of characters designed by people from all walks and some great fiction was the end result. I am hoping that the writers helming this are at least fans themselves and can use their imaginations to make ST great again. The new series will be watched in my household to at least give it a chance, hoping like you alluded to that it isn't just being done to bring in more money and capitalize off of the reboots popularity. I am not holding much hope atm however. Six months out and not even a cast list. :(

Last edited:
I read a lot of that info a few days back and I kind of came to the same view. I'm all for a new ST series, but I think this one has too much pointing to it being more for a casual fan and riding on the coat tails of the new movies.

The released details aren't really drawing me in. I'm not feeling the era given they tried the prequel idea before with ENT and die hard fans were up in arms. There is only so much tweaking you can do before there are 'new ideas' that are just rehash moments from other series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back