Cloth Washable Diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodnitesco96

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'm a huge fan of disposable diapers since I feel like they're "proper diapers" but who's tried like washable or reusable diapers? I've seen them a lot but I just don't think they'd give the same feeling as a disposable would? I might be wrong cause I've never tried them, but if anybody has, I'm honestly interested on what they think of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, there's pros and cons for the both of them. If you're looking for something to replace something like ABU, you'd need a really thick cloth diaper.

Cloth diapers are great, this is coming from someone who's brought up with disposables. I love disposables. I grew to love cloth as well. They are more expensive initially, but pay themselves off quite quickly.

Disposables can become quite expensive. Especially if you want them to be thicker, you can add booster pads or whatever, but your $2 ABU diaper could become a $4 diaper. Then after you've had your fun or can no longer wear because of something else, it's pretty much wasted if you haven't fully used it (how most of us feel). Of course the things we like about disposables differ from one person to the next.
Disposables are convenient. You use then and throw them away.

Are cloth diapers different? Yes, they are. Are they not enjoyable? Of course they are.
Why would you not enjoy cloth diapers? This depends on what you expect out of a cloth diaper. This depends on if you wouldn't mind the extra laundry, the extra steps it takes to put on a cloth diaper. You may not like the wet feeling.

I'm sure you've seen the cloth diapers available across the internet, and I'm sure the ones you've seen are probably those cute All In One (AIO) cloth diapers that make it almost as easy as a disposable diaper. They don't have a high capacity and they breakdown rather quickly. You can't really thicken them too much because they will begin to fit awkwardly, more likely to leak if you don't wear plastic pants over them. They are more for looks and a bit of thickness, but don't provide good capacities. The Velcro usually deteriorates quickly and can irritate skin if exposed to it.

My personal preference for cloth diapers would be Prefold cloth diapers. They are more effective, longer lasting, easier to clean, cheaper to replace. You can customize the thickness without feeling wasteful. You don't have to use pins, there's alternatives to those that make it a breeze to put on. You can purchase many different plastic pants with different prints or colors.

A few things about cloth diapers that make them a great alternative to disposables are, the padding didn't bunch up or fall apart. The crotch doesn't thin out when walking, or being generally active. The bulkiness doesn't disappear, it stays put and forces you to waddle. You can customize how they fit you, if they are too high, you can fold it down to fit lower, if you want extra capacity, you can add toddler prefolds to increase it.

Just don't assume that a single cloth diaper can hold as much as a top tier disposable. It will require multiple layers to replicate. Also do some research to learn how to properly care for them before you just jump in. Cloth diapers should be washed and dried multiple times before use to allow them to fluff up and become more absorbent, washout natural oils and make it softer.

To actually know if you'd like it or not, you'd have to try it, but you'd have to give it a realistic chance, by doing the research, and taking the proper actions.

You can start by purchasing an adult prefold, a dozen toddler prefolds, plastic pants, boingo fasteners, and if messing is something you're in to, you should by liners to reduce staining. It will be an initial investment, but, it will last a long time when you take proper care for them. You can wear them when you're out of disposables, or just want something for a short time without wasting.

Reactions: oleman72
I like both depending on my mood. For the most part I wear disposable nappies but sometimes I just feel the need for a lovely thick terry nappy and noisy plastic pants. The feel of a bulky wet terry nappy and the sound of those crinkly plastic pants just makes me feel so relaxed and happy.

I started with washable diapers. Back when I first got in to diaper wearing, you just couldn't buy disposables. The best that were on the market were sort of pant and pad systems that didn't look like diapers to me and didn't work for me. I started with old towels pinned on and plastic pants made out of trashbags. I got plastic pants next. I then ordered cloth diapers from Montgomery Ward and Sears but they weren't really that great either. About then the early disposables started hitting the drugs stores and Sears. Did that for a long time before I realized you could buy diaper fabric at the fabric stores. I bought some and sort of crudely fashioned diapers with it. My wife later made a whole bunch of prefolds for me after I conrnered the market in diaper fabric at the local fabric stores. I also have a few I bought from companies like Angel Fluff. I also have some all-in-one types from a few suppliers.

Lots of great suggestions above. Like Metalman and willnotwill, I quite enjoy prefolds, but they're definitely on the "retro" side, at least if you're pinning and wearing them with pull-on plastic panties. (Although that's what I like to do.) If you're after a more modern, disposable-like appearance, you might investigate "pocket diapers", which are basically waterproof covers with pockets inside for inserting your own padding. Or you can just lay the padding down the middle of the cover. Snap-EZ and Dependeco both make adult pocket diapers, and I expect there are others. Both of those are available with purpose-made reusable pads, but are just as easily used with prefolds and other cloth diapers, and that's probably what I'd do. Just make sure you size whatever padding you use so that it doesn't have much/any extra length.

The biggest difference between dispees and cloth , with cloth when you are wet you feel wet, there is no fake "stay dry liner" I also use Angelfluff diapers they are the best I have found , if you take the plunge and try cloth , the most crucial thing to do is measure correctly and decide how high a rise you want .bikini cut are virtually useless, I would recommend a high rise contour if you plan on wearing them under clothes well out, if you just wear them at home you can just get full size cloth , and make sure you order you PPS one size larger than the cloth diaper.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Dependco AIO are great i have 4 one star wars r2d2 2 frozen and a pink one and i love them, also have 4 booster pads from her aswell. you will need to wash them at least once before use as their absorbency increases with each wash and i hang dry them takes about 1 day.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
Well, there's pros and cons for the both of them. If you're looking for something to replace something like ABU, you'd need a really thick cloth diaper.

Cloth diapers are great, this is coming from someone who's brought up with disposables. I love disposables. I grew to love cloth as well. They are more expensive initially, but pay themselves off quite quickly.

Disposables can become quite expensive. Especially if you want them to be thicker, you can add booster pads or whatever, but your $2 ABU diaper could become a $4 diaper. Then after you've had your fun or can no longer wear because of something else, it's pretty much wasted if you haven't fully used it (how most of us feel). Of course the things we like about disposables differ from one person to the next.
Disposables are convenient. You use then and throw them away.

Are cloth diapers different? Yes, they are. Are they not enjoyable? Of course they are.
Why would you not enjoy cloth diapers? This depends on what you expect out of a cloth diaper. This depends on if you wouldn't mind the extra laundry, the extra steps it takes to put on a cloth diaper. You may not like the wet feeling.

I'm sure you've seen the cloth diapers available across the internet, and I'm sure the ones you've seen are probably those cute All In One (AIO) cloth diapers that make it almost as easy as a disposable diaper. They don't have a high capacity and they breakdown rather quickly. You can't really thicken them too much because they will begin to fit awkwardly, more likely to leak if you don't wear plastic pants over them. They are more for looks and a bit of thickness, but don't provide good capacities. The Velcro usually deteriorates quickly and can irritate skin if exposed to it.

My personal preference for cloth diapers would be Prefold cloth diapers. They are more effective, longer lasting, easier to clean, cheaper to replace. You can customize the thickness without feeling wasteful. You don't have to use pins, there's alternatives to those that make it a breeze to put on. You can purchase many different plastic pants with different prints or colors.

A few things about cloth diapers that make them a great alternative to disposables are, the padding didn't bunch up or fall apart. The crotch doesn't thin out when walking, or being generally active. The bulkiness doesn't disappear, it stays put and forces you to waddle. You can customize how they fit you, if they are too high, you can fold it down to fit lower, if you want extra capacity, you can add toddler prefolds to increase it.

Just don't assume that a single cloth diaper can hold as much as a top tier disposable. It will require multiple layers to replicate. Also do some research to learn how to properly care for them before you just jump in. Cloth diapers should be washed and dried multiple times before use to allow them to fluff up and become more absorbent, washout natural oils and make it softer.

To actually know if you'd like it or not, you'd have to try it, but you'd have to give it a realistic chance, by doing the research, and taking the proper actions.

You can start by purchasing an adult prefold, a dozen toddler prefolds, plastic pants, boingo fasteners, and if messing is something you're in to, you should by liners to reduce staining. It will be an initial investment, but, it will last a long time when you take proper care for them. You can wear them when you're out of disposables, or just want something for a short time without wasting.

This is super advice - thank you so much! This is definitely the path I've been thinking about. Only problem as I see it that plastic pants are really not that secure a leaking barriere unless one could come up with some taping technique to close them satisfactorily.

jguy said:
This is super advice - thank you so much! This is definitely the path I've been thinking about. Only problem as I see it that plastic pants are really not that secure a leaking barriere unless one could come up with some taping technique to close them satisfactorily.

I don't know what you're basing that on. Most plastic pants are better than most disposable. Even the AIOs tend to work better. But the plastic either in cloth or disposable is secondary to making sure the absorbant material is picking up the liquid. If the padding/SAP/cloth isn't doing that, there's no way any plastic is going to stem leaks.

Keep in mind that cloth will shrink a lot. Up to 25% of the original size. So if you but a 36 inch, it will wash down to about 28. Don't scrimp on the size.
I fold mine in a trapezoidal shape, giving lots of fabric and snug fit up front. Almost never leaks in any position.
Plastic pants are not a long lasting item. The thicker ones (7mil) last much longer than the thins.

jguy said:
Plastic pants act as a shell for disposable diapers. There's all kinds of different ones across the internet. Of course it would be better to get one with a wider crotch so it forms a barrier system. That's why you should properly measure yourself prior to purchasing to get the best size available to you. This includes measuring around the legs, around the waist, to find something close to your size.

Plastic pants will leak eventually when the cloth diapers get filled to capacity. They don't act as a balloon trapping liquid, they just provide a water proof barrier. If they do leak they should've been changed already.

Shrinkage depends on what the fabric is. Since I use Snappis fasteners now primarily, I just fold in thirds. I fan the diaper out on the back but leave the front folded. The snappi bites into the two wings of the rear part of the diaper and the center of the front.

Another cloth option would be a pocket style diaper. 2 pieces, one fits in the cover as a soaker, and you can make them as thick as you want. They come apart for easy laundering, and fit almost as trim as a disposable. Hella cute, too. I was a long time user of prefolds and plastic pants. The pocket style diapers are usually pretty robust, and the ones I have also have permanent leakguards that actually work :)

Good thing, too.

No diaper design is perfect, regardless. Wet them enough and they will leak. If you are looking for a cloth option that is easy to change, doesn't require folding, the pocket diaper is the way to go. I still like prefolds and plastic pants, but these are great. PUL outer covering, flannel inner, and multilayered soaker. Easy as washing your socks.

Peace,
Alan

I have at least a dozen prefolded, as many or more soaker pads and a few dozen plastic or PUL outer coverings. There is a large selection of colors, prints, with or without ruffles, pull on or snap on. I love having choices. I prefer pinning them on as that is how I was raised and what was used on my children. That is the option of whom is doing the diapering. At first I ordered the prefolded diapers one at a time. There are choices of materials and sizes. Ordered the first one too small. Was able to use it later as a soaker. Found I prefer to wear them high so needed a large size. Would sat ordering to big is a better choice at first cause they can be folded and adjusted if necessary. Some brands are noticeably thicker. Those became my night time diapers. If you have an available washer and drier caring for them is no problem. The drier takes longer than a standard load of clothes. Am diapered almost 24/7 now. Almost because when possible I prefer not to have to deal with a messy cloth diaper. I do wear disposable from time to time. A top quality disposable holds more and takes care of the problem of what to do with a wet diaper when not at home. Should add that

I wear cloth diapers and plastic pants every night and a lot during the daytime. I save my disposables for when it would be inconvenient to change or keeping my wet or soiled diaper with me. They end up being a lot less expensive than disposables. They do work just as well but you have to take care of them--having a washer and dryer and a diaper pail helps a lot.

I find both cloth and disposables have their pluses and minuses as others have said. I think it mostly boils down to feel and convenience. Cloth does not feel like a disposable. When dry, cloth feels like you are wearing regular clothing and for some, this is a plus. When wet, cloth tends to feel wet. You can't avoid that. Again this can be a plus or minus depending on your preferences. Cloth will be cheaper in the long run. But for my DL side, nothing beats the feel of a squishy, wet, disposable. I have yet to experience that in a cloth product. Why not have both and enjoy what the situation and mood dictates?

I prefer cloth to disposable. I like Babykins All-In-one pullups. They are a lot bulkier, and therefore harder to disguise (especiallly if going out in public for guys). They are much warmer and comfortable when dry and if you pee them, you feel the wetness against your skin. They are fun to pee in sitting down as you feel the warm wetness along your bottom and front and then as it wics through the fabric up the sides until it is all saturated.. It's like having many layers of wet underwear on. (You have to try it!). They also hold a lot more liquid than disposable. I find with a couple of pairs of plastic pants over them and apairof plastic blloomers over them, it is pretty leakproof until you get them flooded. They are also a lot more economical in the long run as one will last months and many wettings.

I prefer cloth, mostly for environmental reasons but also just because I like the feeling. I was raised in disposables but have no memory of them so there's no nostalgia factor there for me. My favorites are pocket diapers, in which I can add as many stuffers as I'd like! Plus they come in super cute prints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bought mine from daily diapers store an adult/teen size its great and i can get extra soakers too

I have some double thickness terry training pants which I love to wear at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back