Status
Not open for further replies.

tai

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
  3. Other
We are made of stars. Thus, we are of the heavens and earth. For what exist outside for everyone to see is a reflection of thyself. Gaze into thy mind and see the universe which lays before thee.

A thought occurs. Humans, who are the dominate species of the world that have master land, sea, sky and space. Who have mastered the art of war have yet to master peace. Our diplomacy is a joke all over the world yet people of the modern world don't really seem to care. I wonder will humans ever learn from history or will we eventually destroy ourselves.

Frankly, I'm pissed. surely there must be something we can all do.

Last edited:
It may be horrible to say, but it seems we as humans will always be at conflict and therefore, the only way we may be at peace is our overall destruction. As one thing thing ends, so does another start.

Its part of the human experience. Always has and always will.

Every culture, every race, since the beginning of time has had war. People who think it can stop and "why cant we all be peaceful", aren't being honest with themselves. They cant admit that it is part of every human. Lying, hating, jealousy, loathing, impatience, we are all GUILTY of it.

I only have to drive down the road to see that there really is no hope for world peace. I mean.... just look at the way most of us drive. Impatient, one ups man ship, breaking the law, lying..... hiring layers to cover lie's.....

yeah... no hope.

Jesus died over 2000 years ago. The rest of us are flawed.

I think we have learned to be more peaceful just for our own benefit. I'm not sure we'll ever get to the point where we refuse to use violence to get what we want, but humans are more peaceful overall than they were and I think it will continue. Expect bumps along the way, but self-interest inclines us to be better.

I don't think it's possible to get to a point where you could consider it peaceful where no one fights and always gets along, no bigotry of any kind. I do believe though there will be a point where it will be significantly less than what it is today.

Nature in itself is oft a violent and vicious thing. However it is also beautiful thing which gives back for everything it takes. If "peace" ever came I doubt it would be in the form we would want. Balance in all things, it's not just a guideline, it's the law of physics.

Haziim said:
Nature in itself is oft a violent and vicious thing. However it is also beautiful thing which gives back for everything it takes. If "peace" ever came I doubt it would be in the form we would want. Balance in all things, it's not just a guideline, it's the law of physics.

Don't know how much nature and peace has to do with the law of physics lol. The eco system requires a balance for sure, but that I think would be better related to the law of nature, rather than physics.

I am just being overly technical.

Heh, yeah, but still valid. I have a bad habit of seeing patterns in the sand that amount to just the winds of change. That and I'm a sucker for thermodynamics :p.

Anyways what really is peace?

Haziim said:
Heh, yeah, but still valid. I have a bad habit of seeing patterns in the sand that amount to just the winds of change. That and I'm a sucker for thermodynamics :p.

Anyways what really is peace?

That is a good question. I feel peace is actually pretty subjective, which is one of the reasons I feel it's nearly impossible to achieve it.

I hope that one day there will be world peace, but I think it would be impossible to achieve it.

Too many conflicts with other countries, and sadly there will always be violent people, but I hope that one day that we will love and accept one and another.

I'm embarrassed to say I clicked "no". It's certainly not a reality in our time. Maybe human kind will eventually advance to where they see the futility in violence, but we're a long way from there. I think education is the key, but half the world is under educated, or not educated at all. We have a long way to go.

Trevor said:
I think we have learned to be more peaceful just for our own benefit. I'm not sure we'll ever get to the point where we refuse to use violence to get what we want, but humans are more peaceful overall than they were and I think it will continue. Expect bumps along the way, but self-interest inclines us to be better.

I'll give you this but while everyone is greedy, it's what you selfish for that make all the difference. the one undeniable fact of human beings is that humans number one instinct is survival. but as our knowledge increased so did our view of the world and that was how empires and nations were form. as we began to think more and more humans began to realise that the more one has power over something. the more standing one has in this world. eventually as this keeps happening the divide between rich and poor rises. how can we sutstain this tower when eventually society will end up collapsing on itself. in order for a species to advance it must constantly evolve. and as with the body, so, must the mind . That being said doesn't it seem necessary for us to be thinking about this a bit more if it can become a mutual benefit.

Figuring this out may be the biggest Game any human can play?

True, humans are like animals and like animals most war are for resources to live. what's wrong with that is that often times people must learn that as when we hurt others in turn we will be hurt. how can we solve that if all we do is rely on our world leaders to guide us when we still haven't realise is that unless we work together well eventually cause problems for ourselves in the end.

Think about it when as the need for product increases with people so will the price of living. as that increases we will try to increase our standing of living with increase of wages. but as the need increases how much will basic necessities be in the next decade. we should be thinking how can we make the situation better instead of what we will need to do to survive to the next day. and that starts with society's willingness to change.

I often wonder that myself. humans really don't give that much thought to the concept amazingly enough except when there kids.

Maxx said:
Nope, not possible.

At the macro level there may be peace in the sense of no armed conflict between nations for periods of time. That's happened in the past. Its even possible that there could be a one-world government at some point. Even then, there are bound to be conflicts between individuals, between individuals and groups, and the government versus individuals/groups that feel they're being screwed, think they can do it better, or simply don't like being told what to do.

People are individuals and don't see eye to eye on everything.

Of course it's possible - it doesn't break any known laws of physics does it? A state of peace exists between any two states, groups and individuals much more often than a state of violent conflict. It's just incredibly unlikely that a world-wide state of peace could exist at any one instant and last for any length of time. It also gets more unlikely if we use a more expansive human security definition of peace of the kind you're suggesting - it would also be the definition I would choose. The more states and people there are in the world the more likely a conflict is to arise between two or more of them and prevent us from reaching a state of world wide peace.

However if you take the Steven Pinker optimistic view you'd say the reason we are able to have so many people living and states existing in our world is because (in part) we've found better and better ways to co-operate, prevent and resolve conflicts. We're just less aware of peace and co-operation because (for understandable reasons) conflict commands much more of our attention.

I'm not making world peace part of my contingency plans, but it is possible even if it's highly improbable.

- - - Updated - - -

dogboy said:
I'm embarrassed to say I clicked "no". It's certainly not a reality in our time. Maybe human kind will eventually advance to where they see the futility in violence, but we're a long way from there. I think education is the key, but half the world is under educated, or not educated at all. We have a long way to go.

Coming from the UK, I will say that in the three centuries our nation has existed we have found violence has been far from futile, in fact we've got a hell of a lot out of it... (have you seen the British Museum? and that's just the start!) We may have hit diminishing returns now, but over time I think we're still well into credit from our use of violence. This is part of the problem. Violence often does get you what you want, as long as you are stronger and better able to use it than your opponent. You can't educate people out of the use of violence, but you can use education to prevent conflicts and enable people to use non-violent means of resolving their disputes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back