Mental research behind Adult Baby life.

Would you want to see professional research on the Adult Baby lifestyle and/or fetish?

• Yes

Votes: 52 66.7%
  • undecided

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyger

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
Professional research discussing the complexity of the Adult Baby lifestyle and fetish is limited. If that research were to happen, multiple outcomes could result. Therapists would likely be more capable of assisting an Adult Baby (in self acceptance, life management, stress coping or whatever), but we might also see negative attention fall on the community as well. Both good and bad could result.

If you had the choice, would you want to see professional research be conducted to explore and understand the Adult Baby lifestyle and fetish?

If you are also a Diaper Lover refer to this thread.

yes professional research into why we choose to live this way would be interesting. I think that the researchers would need to unbiased so if the out come is good or bad it is fair.

Im not sure if we need everything here in life explained. To me it sometimes seams like we humans, thing there needs to be an explanation to everything. Maybe we should just embrace the good stuff in life that makes us happy, as long as it dosen't hurt anyone else physically i can't be anyone else's problem ;) But when thats said, I my self do try to find out why i ended up with this lifestyle witch my AB life have become :) So i choose -> undecided <- :D , It's going to be interesting to see what majority is going for. Just my thoughts :)

/Little Tigger :)

It would be interesting, I don't think as such it could ever really be explained why we are AB's DL's and what not, but I think it could give us better understand of how we ended up here, better understanding of the big problems that we by large as a community face, ie mental health challenges that may not be as prevalent in other communities. Maybe even help "outsiders" understand we aren't the boogie people under the bed after the children, we will do no harm them.

Before I start rambling on though, I will just say, a fair unbiased study on the ABDL populous could be very insightful.

Yes, I would. I have always wanted to understand the why behind me. But from reading these forums, I have concluded the why is to vast to fully understand. We are such a large and varied group of people from many different experiences and social upbringing. I have only recently learn to accept it but in the back of my mind I still ask the "why'.

I'm less interested in having causes/origins explained. What I'd like to see is some research into outcomes and possibly negative results of being an active ABDL. Having creditable, peer-reviewed research to point to would be very helpful for both ABDLs with problems and the professionals assisting them with those issues. I think the bigger problem is defining what is or is not ABDL.

Traemo said:
I'm less interested in having causes/origins explained. What I'd like to see is some research into outcomes and possibly negative results of being an active ABDL. Having creditable, peer-reviewed research to point to would be very helpful for both ABDLs with problems and the professionals assisting them with those issues. I think the bigger problem is defining what is or is not ABDL.

I would think the negative results would vary a lot of ABDLs. In that case, I think you would have to narrow the research. For example, I only regress about 1 day a week and I do it alone where others then to regress more. The negative has to be social aspects and possible health aspects. I see that widely varying on how much that regression occurs. I think you make some good points so I am curious more about what your thinking?

I would participate in the research if it would help me find a place where I was happy and well cared for.

I put "undecided." My enthusiasm for it would depend a lot on what the research was aiming to discover/confirm. On one hand, understanding the origins of these desires--specifically these desires (I emphasize that because I don't want another debate on "imprinting", the genetics of sexuality, etc.)--would be very interesting. On the other hand, research into the social aspects of AB/DL, while interesting to some, could easily devolve into a freak show that ends up amplifying negative stereotypes. It would really need to be done with care.

So, yeah. Not sure.

I'm going to have to disagree with the OP on this one unfortunately. Yes, having research is good for the medical field to be able to have an understanding about various different things. However, when we look at the psychiatric field it is more about what are issues that are common and are causing issues for patients. Unfortunately ABDLism doesn't really fit into the category. Most psychiatrists/psychologists aren't familiar with it (and that is in part of not having an understanding about it) and this is related to the amount of people they see with this issue. There are probably a number of people that they see with other issues. Most of the time ABDLism doesn't actually cause any major issues (there are always some issues that come to light for being involved in this but most negativity around this is related to coming out/being discovered).

So unfortunately there isn't much of a drive for a need to research into ABDL, mostly because people who work in that field don't see enough of it to need to be able to find out more about it.

I am a non-sexual ABDL. I try to abstain from a release as long as I can. Any help on this would be nice even if it was from medical or psychiatry. My mother is a therapist and she leans on the fact that my connection to diapers is sensory. She also tells me that my imagination is creative. Both my father and mother are very supportive. My father has more interest in my book that I am writing but thats another story.
In short yes because anything to help me understand why I need this to relax after a stressful day would be nice.

MatalicPebble said:
I am a non-sexual ABDL. I try to abstain from a release as long as I can. Any help on this would be nice even if it was from medical or psychiatry. My mother is a therapist and she leans on the fact that my connection to diapers is sensory. She also tells me that my imagination is creative. Both my father and mother are very supportive. My father has more interest in my book that I am writing but thats another story.
In short yes because anything to help me understand why I need this to relax after a stressful day would be nice.

I have to say, it sounds like you have awesome parents.

I would support it, and I support it because I think it helps people understand themselves better and maybe helps the world understand us too (though in a minor way). Even if a study ends up being negative or has findings that people don't agree with, I think that studying a topic academically is an effort worth doing, and strange results can often spur more studies either to contrast or confirm the results.

And honestly, almost all of us do ask ourselves questions like "why are we like this?" "Is this okay?" and "what should we do to lead a healthy life?" On a support forum, our answers necessarily are to tell people not to try and dwell on their past, and instead focus on the behaviors that make them happy and allow them to live well. But that doesn't mean that some of the big questions aren't worth answering, if for no other reason than to seek some new insight into the human brain and how it functions. So yeah, I'd like to see studies if they could be done.

littleboyof40 said:
. I think you make some good points so I am curious more about what your thinking?
I'd like to see an academic/clinical review survey of the community with an emphasis on outcomes and co-morbidity. That is, how does being an ABDL effect longer term health, both physical and mental. Additionally, an examination of other health issues to see what, if any, show statistically significant variance from that of the wider population. The intent would be to create a better picture of ABDLism for providers to use, not to provide any sort of judgement of ABDLism as a whole. Regression would certainly have to be one aspect of the study but not, I suspect, the focus. The initial, possibly greatest problem, would be defining what is or is not ABDL behavior, lifestyle, etc, and then creating working definitions of related habits and behavior. For instance, what constitutes actual regression vice behaving immaturely? Or is there no difference? How do you control the data to account for the presence or absence of a caretaker? Do you need to control for that? In gathering the data to use for the analysis, do you require clinical observation by the researchers or is self-reporting valid enough?

It wouldn't be easy to do the research (just look at Bittergrey's work) but I think for the ABDL community as a whole having a peer-reviewed and comprehensive data available would be a good thing.

I voted Yes, because it would be interesting to have some academic study on why so many of us - from hugely different backgrounds, and with hugely different circumstances - share this interest.

The results might also be helpful if there were statistics we could quote, for occasions when we choose to discuss this phenomenon with non-ABDLs. Heck, just having some scientific validation might actually be a comfort for some of us.

However, I'd also be sceptical that mental research could find some universal truth about us as a community. ABDL is often a deeply personal thing, and there's probably as many different reasons why people turn to ABDL as there are members of our community!

I voted NO! I have been doing this for too long. But I still like it.

No more therapists as to me. I had GF psychologist, and she was... Cant't explain me without risk of censoring. I needn't therapy. I hate live alone - yes, it sucks - but I'm afraid of coming out. I did it and no any positive feedback. So my crap to me.

BabyToddler said:
I voted NO! I have been doing this for too long. But I still like it.

I don't know if the question is being misunderstood, but I am not aiming to get research to have us all fixed, I'm aiming to get research so therapists and families have better official information to source to so they and ABDL's can find a healthy way of approaching the topic and finding understanding.

- - - Updated - - -

CrazySmoker said:
No more therapists as to me. I had GF psychologist, and she was... Cant't explain me without risk of censoring. I needn't therapy. I hate live alone - yes, it sucks - but I'm afraid of coming out. I did it and no any positive feedback. So my crap to me.

Up top

- - - Updated - - -

Maxx said:
I voted no. I don't see how a study would change anything for me as I have no intention or desire to seek any sort of therapy on the issue.

I know what I like, and don't really care about the why's and wherefores.

Up top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back