Not open for further replies.

DLMelissa

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Other
It looks like Tykables are taking some flak for having an ABDL store in Mount Prospect, Illinois. I was just on facebook, and one of the news articles talked about protesting at the store.

Here is a page on what's happening if you're interested.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...op-selling-diapers-soothers-cribs-ADULTS.html

Hopefully we can give Tykables some support in their work, and put the minds of the "normal" people at ease.

I know this might be an unpopular opinion here, but I can't be the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea, even from purely a business perspective. I support Tykables right to sell their products, but opening a public storefront on a busy street in an average middle-class suburb of Chicago catering to fetishists? That's nuts. What were they thinking? How many random people are going to walk into this store and have no idea what they're selling? Or worse assume that they're selling children's products? And how many of us would actually want to be seen in public shopping at this store? How many AB/DLs do you think are "out" and wouldn't care if all their friends and family, or the public at large, knew that they purchase products from this company? What did Tykables think was going to happen when they opened a public storefront? That thousands of regular people on the street would visit their store, learn about their products, and go home with cases of diapers? Maybe I'll be proven wrong, in fact I hope I'll be proven wrong, but at this point I just don't see things going well for this particular business venture of theirs.

I feel like driving over now and picking up some before the shop gets shut down, it is only one town over.

INTrePid said:
I know this might be an unpopular opinion here, but I can't be the only one who thinks this is a terrible idea, even from purely a business perspective. I support Tykables right to sell their products, but opening a public storefront on a busy street in an average middle-class suburb of Chicago catering to fetishists? That's nuts. What were they thinking? How many random people are going to walk into this store and have no idea what they're selling? Or worse assume that they're selling children's products? And how many of us would actually want to be seen in public shopping at this store? How many AB/DLs do you think are "out" and wouldn't care if all their friends and family, or the public at large, knew that they purchase products from this company? What did Tykables think was going to happen when they opened a public storefront? That thousands of regular people on the street would visit their store, learn about their products, and go home with cases of diapers? Maybe I'll be proven wrong, in fact I hope I'll be proven wrong, but at this point I just don't see things going well for this particular business venture of theirs.

Randos aren't going to be walking in though. You can only enter by appointment and you can't see inside. It's all covered up. They also picked an area with low foot traffic. I think they did their best to be relatively unobstrusive.

I have to wonder how this compares to thr Rearz storefront in Canada though.

I never thought I'd see the day something like this would happen in a real sense aside from fantasy stories and maybe the holodeck if that ever gets invented. I think the people who are disliking this store need to mind their own business, no one complains about other types of fetish stores, so why do people care about this? I think its a great thing, as long as it doesn't start making the AB/DL Community look bad I say keep at it, I'd like to see more of these kinds of stores, maybe selling multiple ab/dl brands of diapers and other supplies.

This story actually made the Drudge Report today, a news website that gets ten million visitors daily and had almost 9 billion hits in 2015. So yeah, this story just got a lot more exposure and this doesn't help the ABDL image in the least.

Good job, Tykables guys. If my girlfriend didn't like the Overnights so much I'd probably just switch her back to ABU and Dry 24/7s full time.

puppyfat said:
I have to wonder how this compares to thr Rearz storefront in Canada though.

It doesn't. If they did what Rearz did, this probably isn't a huge story. They could have been just a medical supply store that also sells fetish diapers, and maybe that draws attention to ABDL without actually doing any harm. But all the oversize furniture and the idea that you can go in and play...while none of us in the community are going to have a huge problem with it, it's extremely weird to the average, or vanilla, person. I'd probably be weirded out by it if I didn't wear diapers myself.

Rears doesn't have the crib and high chair for shock value...that's where Tykables went wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

AddyShadows said:
I never thought I'd see the day something like this would happen in a real sense aside from fantasy stories and maybe the holodeck if that ever gets invented. I think the people who are disliking this store need to mind their own business, no one complains about other types of fetish stores, so why do people care about this? I think its a great thing, as long as it doesn't start making the AB/DL Community look bad I say keep at it, I'd like to see more of these kinds of stores, maybe selling multiple ab/dl brands of diapers and other supplies.

But that's the problem...it DOES make the community look bad. If it was just ABDL diapers and supplies...ok, no problem. But do have any idea what's going to go through people's heads when they see and hear about this? People are instantly going to think pedophilia because the name has "tyke" in it, and despite the adult sized furniture, it is still baby furniture.

This COULD have been a great idea. Rearz does it with no problem. And you can go to the ABU warehouse with no problem. But this...this is going to end up as a disaster for the ABDL image and it really pisses me off.

Thank you puppyfat for the rundown on their store.

Everyone's entitled to feel how they feel and like or dislike as its true to the individual but people in this community condemning Tykables for doing their own thing are just as sick as those crazy protestors and no better than an ignorant mob weilding burning torches.

silentdreamer1996 said:
I feel like driving over now and picking up some before the shop gets shut down, it is only one town over.

Lol !! Hello fellow Chicagoan

Argent said:
Thank you puppyfat for the rundown on their store.

Everyone's entitled to feel how they feel and like or dislike as its true to the individual but people in this community condemning Tykables for doing their own thing are just as sick as those crazy protestors and no better than an ignorant mob weilding burning torches.

How exactly are we sick for looking out for the greater good of our community? Just because it's a cool concept for people with our fetish does not make it a good idea, at all.

I don't quite understand why some people are condemning Tykables either and I don't think they're the ones to blame. Now if they had people modelling diapers in the windows that would be one thing, but it seems they were being fairly discrete about going about their business. It's the people raising the fuss that made it big news, along with the fact that everyone likes a weird story.

Here's the thing: the vast majority of people that this is going to make a bad impression on is people who would have been offended and put off if they discovered the ab/dl community in some other way. They wouldn't have needed a news report to form that impression. And honestly folks, should we really care that much about what those people think of us? I surely don't. If they're too ignorant and closed-minded to say different strokes for different folks and go on with their lives, they're not worth my time worrying about.

As liberal as Chicago's politicians are, I would say they should just mind their own business and let people do what they want, as long as they're not harming anybody else.

KimbaStarshine said:
Here's the thing: the vast majority of people that this is going to make a bad impression on is people who would have been offended and put off if they discovered the ab/dl community in some other way. They wouldn't have needed a news report to form that impression. And honestly folks, should we really care that much about what those people think of us? I surely don't. If they're too ignorant and closed-minded to say different strokes for different folks and go on with their lives, they're not worth my time worrying about.
I agree with this, and I'll add that I can't be too bothered by online "haters". It takes so little effort to be one of those that I often doubt their veracity. People are bored more than anything, and strange things like this are an opportunity for them to take the stage and try to entertain each other. Whatever.

I've been very skeptical of the Tykables business plan from the get-go, and find myself a bit mystified by this latest twist, but neither am I buying the doomsday angle it. Some of us have skin like tissue paper, apparently.

Well, the deal is this: The article mentions that some of his customers buy the diapers for medical reasons. And I hate to admit this, but his design is the most sensible, and practical of any adult diaper I've seen on the market. The tapes hold well, and they are refastenable. Absorbency is on par with any premium brand. They are thin, they are fully featured, they have excellent quality control, and they are affordable. I prefer a thicker "brief", but that is because of my neurological issues. But during the day and on a limited budget, I'll take what works. And these WORK! Although the Dry 24/7's are more comfortable, the Tykables work better than the Dry 24/7's and are more discrete. Teddy bears and sleepy lions? What ever. It just camouflages better.

I think it's interesting, don't see anything too wrong about it. The coverage itself wasn't to bad either.

So in a recent update from hearing locally, they are being allowed to stay there, but they have to keep the screens up and keep a strict hold on their "entrance by appointment" policy.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't help but laugh at the haters, they are appalled by this, yet they have a Spencer's in their town. I'm sorry but really? They freak over the harmless and ignore the sex toys and such of Spencer's XD

silentdreamer1996 said:
So in a recent update from hearing locally, they are being allowed to stay there, but they have to keep the screens up and keep a strict hold on their "entrance by appointment" policy.

People worry about something new. More than they do about things that a known quantity ironically. They'll figure it out and things will settle down.

I actually think they might have made a mistake making it 18+ only though. That kind of restriction, rather than coming across as conscientious, makes it seem like there might be something to hide. It's a diaper warehouse and a store with wacky decoration, there's nothing sinister about it.

Also, in case it hasn't been noticed, this topic spawned two separate threads, and there are a few different responses in each. Other one is at https://www.adisc.org/forum/showthread.php/101278-Tykables-Exposed

The problem is they opened up in random illinois. They should've opened up in the French Quarter down here, they'd have been next to way "worse" from a vanilla perspective and might have had a better shot.

Random to you, it is two town over from me. Truth be told, they would've been better setting it up in Schaumburg, they tend to be more laid back.

Carolus said:
The problem is they opened up in random illinois. They should've opened up in the French Quarter down here, they'd have been next to way "worse" from a vanilla perspective and might have had a better shot.

This is definitely a big factor. I'm not too familiar with the characteristics and personalities of all the Chicago 'burbs, but I don't ever recall Mount Prospect being known as a liberal, socially progressive, kink-friendly place to set up shop like Folsom Street in San Francisco. Or the French Quarter in New Orleans.

I'm a little less critical now though after reading more about what they're actually using the location for and that they're only letting people in by appointment. I was thinking this was basically a standard retail storefront, but it seems they're using it primary for office space, pickups, and storage. The problem is that they chose to rent a retail storefront on a major roadway between other retail businesses. I doubt people would be complaining if they'd instead rented an office building or a warehouse for their operations. This article does a better job explaining it than any other I've read. http://chicagoist.com/2016/06/09/some_adults_have_to_wear.php

I've been waiting for the mainstream media to get a hold of this news since the day Tykables opened their store. Honestly, I'm surprised it took this long.

I think it's possible that Tykables came on too strong with their concept. As mentioned, Rearz is a great example of how to make the ABDL store concept work. Opening a store with a crib and playpen "nursery" is simply too much for the general non-abdl public to comprehend without jumping to incorrect conclusions about what it is we do and like. The general non-ABDL public needs to take baby steps (pun intended!).

In a way, this might end up being good for us. This could ignite national dialogue about ABDL's; which means major news outlets will enlist the help of sexologist and psychologist to research ABDLism. In the end, America as a whole may be educated about ABDL's; including how it is in no way related to pedophilia. Best case scenario, we may finally gain some degree of acceptance.

My opinion: I could give a s**t what the rest of America thinks of my fetish either way. I keep it to myself and have no desire to let anyone outside of ADISC know about it; except my wife who already knows. Just like any other fetish, there's no reason to flaunt it and try to force people to understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back