Bambino has a contest for artwork on their new diaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sciencedude

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
It seems that they may have a name on their webpage. But now there is a contest for artwork!

I'm soooo in!!!! Thanks for the info! I just wish that they gave a little more in the way of instructions for what they are looking for.

I'd so go for it, but I can only draw traditional artwork, which they can't take. :/

Soooo tempting! Artwork that gets to be used to design their new line of diapers AND you get a year's worth of diapers. It'll be hard to not put aside some projects to take a crack at this.

kinda wondering if they're doing this because an artist would charge more than what 12 cases of diapers costs them. (remember, those cases cost them around 1/3 to 1/4 what you pay) Just sayin', this contest may be taking work away from good artists like Marci.

bambinod said:
kinda wondering if they're doing this because an artist would charge more than what 12 cases of diapers costs them. (remember, those cases cost them around 1/3 to 1/4 what you pay) Just sayin', this contest may be taking work away from good artists like Marci.

Correct me if I'm wrong.....but your outlook seems a little cynicle. If they had to pay an artist traditionally, then people would get upset at a higher cost for the product that had to be used to pay said artist. I find a contest to be a fun way to include undiscovered talent among the community, not just those who may be well known and have backing. Its also a great way to get people excited about a fun new product/design. People like Marci can choose to participate or not...but you can't guarantee that any particular artist would have gotten the job even if there wasn't a contest. The best part about a contest is that if you don't like it....you don't have to be involved. Seems fair to me.

tobdy1986 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong.....but your outlook seems a little cynicle.

Oh it probably is. I honestly don't have a credible idea of what an artist gets paid for something like this. I would hope for a commercial production, where you are selling rights to a company to use for manufacturing, it should fetch a good price. (and of course they'd expect talent and good work) Mabye $500-2000? Remember, they don't want you to scan in a drawing, they want vector art. That raises the bar significantly, they want art that can be zoomed and computer printed at the manufaturer. A lot of artists are using higher end drawing tools, but just because they can do vectors doesn't mean they can make high quality art. And this is a one-time-job. Artists have to balance the frequncy of their sales and the price of their work, so one-off jobs for businesses have to pay more.

So lets say my back-of-the-napkin figure of $500-2000 is reasonable. A case of large Teddy is $85. Lets continue speculating on cost, $35 for the case and $20 for shipping, they pay $55 and clear $30 for all their expenses per case. So the prize costs Bambino $660 for twelve cases. You can see where an artist that's expecting closer to the average of $1200 would see this as a bit of a lowball. But that's Bambino's cost - the "actual retail value" of the prize is actually $1020. Make no mistake, Bambino is giving themselves a serious discount by giving away product instead of cash, it's a smart move to try. But if you were going to buy the diapers anyway, that doesn't matter to you. $1000 is still a bit of a lowball for what they're getting.

Anyway, that's just the sort of numbers that were flying around in my head when I read the news. I'm probably off at least a little bit on several important factors, possibly enough to swing it in the other direction completely. And that's why I thought I'd bring it up here, to discuss and see if I'm making reasonable assumptions. Don't shoot the messenger, he's just asking a question.

bambinod said:
Oh it probably is. I honestly don't have a credible idea of what an artist gets paid for something like this. I would hope for a commercial production, where you are selling rights to a company to use for manufacturing, it should fetch a good price. (and of course they'd expect talent and good work) Mabye $500-2000? Remember, they don't want you to scan in a drawing, they want vector art. That raises the bar significantly, they want art that can be zoomed and computer printed at the manufaturer. A lot of artists are using higher end drawing tools, but just because they can do vectors doesn't mean they can make high quality art. And this is a one-time-job. Artists have to balance the frequncy of their sales and the price of their work, so one-off jobs for businesses have to pay more.

So lets say my back-of-the-napkin figure of $500-2000 is reasonable. A case of large Teddy is $85. Lets continue speculating on cost, $35 for the case and $20 for shipping, they pay $55 and clear $30 for all their expenses per case. So the prize costs Bambino $660 for twelve cases. You can see where an artist that's expecting closer to the average of $1200 would see this as a bit of a lowball. But that's Bambino's cost - the "actual retail value" of the prize is actually $1020. Make no mistake, Bambino is giving themselves a serious discount by giving away product instead of cash, it's a smart move to try. But if you were going to buy the diapers anyway, that doesn't matter to you. $1000 is still a bit of a lowball for what they're getting.

Anyway, that's just the sort of numbers that were flying around in my head when I read the news. I'm probably off at least a little bit on several important factors, possibly enough to swing it in the other direction completely. And that's why I thought I'd bring it up here, to discuss and see if I'm making reasonable assumptions. Don't shoot the messenger, he's just asking a question.

But why is that cynical, even if you're right? Look at it this way: the artist, whoever they are, receives the equivalent of $1020 in diapers, presumably $1020 they would have spent anyway if they're the sort of person to be enticed by the contest in the first place. So we can say that for the winning artist, they receive essentially $1020 for their work. If you're right that the price is variable, this might be a slight discount, but could just as easily be a premium over a typical $500 commission, and is certainly more than a new or undiscovered artist would charge for such a commission.

On Bambino's end, you're right that the diapers are cheaper for them than they are for us. One might argue whether that's fair since they also give up the profit they would have made on each sale assuming they could sell every case they make, but we'll ignore that. If Bambino spends the $660 for the cases, then cool, it cost them less than an expensive commission.

But that ends up being good for everyone. Let's say a commission would have cost $800. Bambino saves $140 and the artist makes $220. That's awesome, what a great idea to hold a contest!

ArchieRoni said:
But that ends up being good for everyone. Let's say a commission would have cost $800. Bambino saves $140 and the artist makes $220. That's awesome, what a great idea to hold a contest!

I'm talking about artists that do art for a living, not recreational artists. Your advantages only apply if the person was actually going to be buying 12 cases of diapers that year, which I would imagine VERY few artists do. (and probably very few DLs here either! how many cases do you buy a year?) Otherwise the prize is a huge red herring, and they'll have to try to find someone locally to sell the cases to, at a considerable loss over retail most likely. You might find a few people locally to buy a case for $50 ea, but you're likely to get stuck with a few by the end of the year and your average will be down around $40 ea by the time you get them all sold. So you'd have made $480 on a job that normally nets $500-$2,000, plus had to get paid in small installments throughout the year, plus put in effort to flip the cases. I can't imagine any serious artist considering doing that, or at least not regretting it after the fact.

So don't expect to see submissions from anyone like Marci. I'm not saying we won't get some good art from someone here in the community - there's quite a few people that make good art and nice badges and are known DLs - but the math suggests it's going to restrict the entrants.

Further restricting things - how many times have we heard of people not being able to figure out how to get even a few bags of diapers past helicopter parents? Now consider... 12... CASES.... That's going to have to scare off a few more talented artists.

Someone's going to win, don't get me wrong there, I agree with that. But there are quite a few people that aren't going to be willing to play the game for various reasons. Some of them we may miss more than others - the professional artists - and in that case we're losers too. So it's looking like it's far from an "everybody wins" scenario.

I would be interested in that to get the year of free diapers. I'm not very artistic however since there is a prize involved that I would enjoy I want to enter.

bambinod said:
Further restricting things - how many times have we heard of people not being able to figure out how to get even a few bags of diapers past helicopter parents? Now consider... 12... CASES.... That's going to have to scare off a few more talented artists.

That's the reason I didn't enter the naming contest. A big box showing up every month and no corresponding charge on my parents' credit card bill? That'd go over as well as hell.

I sent my first entry last night! Wish me luck! I'm going to do some more too. Still a few weeks left until the deadline.

I wouldn't do it for the diapers, but rather to finally achieve my dreams of being a respected arteeest within the AB/DL community.

Cloud said:
I wouldn't do it for the diapers, but rather to finally achieve my dreams of being a respected arteeest within the AB/DL community.

I'm doing it for both. lol

I'm currently working on my next submission.

Although I don't think it'll happen, I'd like to see a gallery of all the submissions after they're done with the contest. Hopefully they do some sort of public vote to at least pick from the best three etc.

bambinod said:
Although I don't think it'll happen, I'd like to see a gallery of all the submissions after they're done with the contest. Hopefully they do some sort of public vote to at least pick from the best three etc.

I just finished my next entry. I just want to wait for my hubby to see it first before I send it. No matter what happens...I'll post all of my entries once the contest is completed. ;)

I'm submitting a piece myself. I'll try and remember to share my art here when the contest is over as well.
I'm hoping for the best. I could use the year of diapers! ^^;

Despite not being a digital artist - not at all - I downloaded a vector-art app and submitted a piece. In the very very unlikely scenario that I won, I'd be having the diapers shipped to my cuddle buddy though. It's not that I don't want them, I just can't have big boxes showing up here every month or my parents will question me. :/

The contest has ended. I submitted 4 designs (well, 1 was an alteration of another of my entries) so 3 1/2 i guess. lol Wish me luck!

I'm so excited I can't wait to try this diaper!!!!!! I love the diapers at bambino I hope this one holds alot of pee and is super cute!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back