Windows 10 is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
The thing that pisses me off the most about windows 10 is the fact it updates at random literally killing your internet connection.

I wake up in the morning to find that my internet is completely useless, pages taking 20 minutes to load etc, (as usual I suspect its updating) so I go to my task manager to find that windows is chewing up 15MBPS on a fucking update at random. WTF.

I've been having this problem ever since I adopted windows 10 even on a metered connection, windows hogs 15mbps to itself, so I could be browsing the internet doing a important assignment randomly browse the internet to find that windows itself is using 90% of my god damn bandwidth.

This is so god damn annoying, It makes browsing the internet useless for me, happens on every internet connection I use, as soon as windows updates it goes from 15mbps to 0.20kbps all because it's updating, I'm not sure if they adopted a bittorrent model for the updates, but god fucking dammit it's like someone is downloading 100 torrents at once on my god damn internet connection, but it turns out it's just windows 10 updating.

Oh you just reinstalled windows 10? lets just eat 90% of your bandwith so you can't download the drivers you actually need, and end up waiting an hour for the god damn thing to finish updating without your concent.

It's still eating 15mbps on a update wtf.

Can't you set Windows to update at 3:00 a.m. or sometime you'rs sleeping? That's how mine is set up. That said, their updates have screwed up my laptop. For some odd reason, an update disabled my laptop's ability to connect to the internet, changing a lot of internal settings. It cost me $50.00 to get it fixed. The update didn't affect my desktop computer so go figure except my laptop is a Lenova and my desktop is a Dell.

It takes a long time to bring my desktop back up after the updates and shutdowns. That too is annoying.

dogboy said:
Can't you set Windows to update at 3:00 a.m. or sometime you'rs sleeping? That's how mine is set up. That said, their updates have screwed up my laptop. For some odd reason, an update disabled my laptop's ability to connect to the internet, changing a lot of internal settings. It cost me $50.00 to get it fixed. The update didn't affect my desktop computer so go figure except my laptop is a Lenova and my desktop is a Dell.

It takes a long time to bring my desktop back up after the updates and shutdowns. That too is annoying.

I think I do actually, shuts down at 3:00AM to update, but updating itself is at random, :p kind of stupid how windows 10 just does it without your permission I wonder if they could push spyware out like this, hmm...

Also another way of me telling that windows is updating is when I go to speedtest.net my ping goes from 20 to 304 or some crap.

Binary said:
I've got the home version sadly :(

It quite literally says "but even Home editions of Windows 10 give you a way to stop updates from automatically downloading."

I suggest you read it all.

MarchinBunny said:
It quite literally says "but even Home editions of Windows 10 give you a way to stop updates from automatically downloading."

I suggest you read it all.

Yes, but It doesn't seem to work for me, as for some reason windows is treating my VPN as a Ethernet connection and ignoring the metered connection setting, the rest seems to be aimed towards professional editions. :/ That article is actually the first thing I tried :p.

If yall had the pro version of Windows
You could update the group policy
U need to go th the group policy editor and
Go to computer configuration\ administration templates\ Windows components \windows updates
And disable the auto update

derpywhooves94 said:
If yall had the pro version of Windows
You could update the group policy
U need to go th the group policy editor and
Go to computer configuration\ administration templates\ Windows components \windows updates
And disable the auto update

Actually, apparently, it no longer works since the anniversary update to windows 10. The option is still there, but for whatever reason doesn't work. *shrugs*

- - - Updated - - -

Binary said:
Yes, but It doesn't seem to work for me, as for some reason windows is treating my VPN as a Ethernet connection and ignoring the metered connection setting, the rest seems to be aimed towards professional editions. :/ That article is actually the first thing I tried :p.

You don't seem to be reading the whole thing. There is a registry tweak you can use. >.>

MarchinBunny said:
Actually, apparently, it no longer works since the anniversary update to windows 10. The option is still there, but for whatever reason doesn't work. *shrugs*

- - - Updated - - -

You don't seem to be reading the whole thing. There is a registry tweak you can use. >.>

I did xD.... doesn't work lol even downloaded the ones from the site, won't write the value for some reason :(

http://imgur.com/a/6Fcp0

Binary said:
I did xD.... doesn't work lol

Did you make sure to restart after changing these settings and such? Also, did you make sure the setting Allow VPN over metered networks is on? It's located under Network & Internet, then under VPN.

MarchinBunny said:
Did you make sure to restart after changing these settings and such? Also, did you make sure the setting Allow VPN over metered networks is on? It's located under Network & Internet, then under VPN.

Windows is preventing me from editing or changing that value in the registry lol, even the reg files downloaded off the site refuse to work.

http://imgur.com/a/6Fcp0

Binary said:
Nope.. same error.

I don't know what to tell you. That should work because the error you are getting is a permissions error. Once you have appropriate permissions ... should have no error. x.x
I don't suppose running it as administrator helps?

MarchinBunny said:
I don't know what to tell you. That should work because the error you are getting is a permissions error. Once you have appropriate permissions ... should have no error. x.x
I don't suppose running it as administrator helps?

Don't know, maybe it's due to avast or something, I'll install the professional edition of windows instead.

Ok, installed windows 10 pro, wow that's quite good :D

some reason I have a genuine licence for both lol.

Yeah updating is horrible in Windows 10. I use Windows 7 and have no intention of upgrading until 2020 when support is dropped.

Milko said:
Yeah updating is horrible in Windows 10. I use Windows 7 and have no intention of upgrading until 2020 when support is dropped.

It's not actually that bad as long as you know how to change things the way you like them. Frankly, the benefits of windows 10 compared to previous versions is more than enough to cover the slight downsides you can find with 10 compared to past versions. Not to mention they gave away 10 for free to all windows 7 and 8 users the first year. Not only that but with each update to 10 it just keeps getting better. At this point in time I think windows 10 is already far better than any other version. Both in performance and useability.

With Windows 10 home go into the control panel, settings, updates, turn updates off (manual) it will give you several warning saying this is not recommended are you sure you wish to continue just keep clicking yes. I no internet connection can vary based on your geographical location but I've got the lowest tier internet available in my area and I still don't have issues with updates bogging down the web

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back