Not open for further replies.

Sapphyre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I'm wondering if anyone else is excited for the release of the final sequel, "Ravager", this month... or the remaster of the original '79 classic later this year.

I saw the original "Phantasm" as a kid, and it has haunted me ever since. To be honest, I don't particularly care for the sequels... but the original is one of my favorite horror films of all time. The cast and crew really had fun making that movie, and that sense of fun comes through in the film.

That, together with its utter originality and heartfelt theme of loss, made it a favorite. Anyone else?

"BOY!!!!!"

... really? No one is familiar with Phantasm? o.o;;

I remember the commercials but I was too young to be seeing it in the theater. Unlike a number of movies in that category, I never got around to seeing it as an adult.

Trevor said:
I remember the commercials but I was too young to be seeing it in the theater. Unlike a number of movies in that category, I never got around to seeing it as an adult.

By modern standards, it's not very scary. But it's very atmospheric, and entirely unique.

It's on the top shelf of my horror collection, right next to Poltergeist and Pontypool.

Sapphyre said:
By modern standards, it's not very scary. But it's very atmospheric, and entirely unique.

It's on the top shelf of my horror collection, right next to Poltergeist and Pontypool.

I'm not familiar with Pontypool at all but any comparison with Poltergeist seems like praise to me. I don't generally find horror movies very scary. More often, they're going for the shock or grotesque. I will put Phantasm on my list.

Trevor said:
I'm not familiar with Pontypool at all but any comparison with Poltergeist seems like praise to me. I don't generally find horror movies very scary. More often, they're going for the shock or grotesque. I will put Phantasm on my list.

You should add Pontypool as well. It's an indy film, but exceptionally good. I suppose it technically falls into the "zombie" genre, although that's rather unfair to it. Like Phantasm, it is its own thing. It takes place almost entirely in a small town talk radio station, and the viewers learn of what's happening exclusively by description. There is a kind of mind virus that is spread by language. I.E. spread by description. Which obviously complicates things...

Sapphyre said:
You should add Pontypool as well. It's an indy film, but exceptionally good. I suppose it technically falls into the "zombie" genre, although that's rather unfair to it. Like Phantasm, it is its own thing. It takes place almost entirely in a small town talk radio station, and the viewers learn of what's happening exclusively by description. There is a kind of mind virus that is spread by language. I.E. spread by description. Which obviously complicates things...

I meant to get back to this earlier. I looked up Pontypool and decided on my own it was worth seeing, since I'm a zombie fan going back to the original Night of the Living Dead (mostly that one, really). I just checked Netflix and for whatever reason, Phantasm isn't available even as a disc until December. Pontypool is good to go right now, so that'll get bumped up to the top.

I loved the original Phantasm. It was weird, creepy and very spooky. I also loved the hemi-cuda in the story.

Trevor said:
I meant to get back to this earlier. I looked up Pontypool and decided on my own it was worth seeing, since I'm a zombie fan going back to the original Night of the Living Dead (mostly that one, really). I just checked Netflix and for whatever reason, Phantasm isn't available even as a disc until December. Pontypool is good to go right now, so that'll get bumped up to the top.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. ^_^ Pontypool is clever and surprisingly layered. You'll probably need to see it more than once to pick up on everything; there was quite a bit that I missed the first time around.

Sorry to hear that Phantasm is so hard to find at the moment. I have it on DVD from some time ago...

- - - Updated - - -

dogboy said:
I loved the original Phantasm. It was weird, creepy and very spooky. I also loved the hemi-cuda in the story.

The car was almost its own character... ^_^

- - - Updated - - -

Trevor said:

Also just FYI... the author of the story on which the film is based makes a cameo appearance in Pontypool, as "Lawrence of Arabia". It's an amusing sequence...

Sapphyre said:
Sorry to hear that Phantasm is so hard to find at the moment. I have it on DVD from some time ago...

i've got the boxset; never got around to watching them, though (must've been a late-night, post-work, bargain-bucket impulse-buy):biggrin:
i can't even think where i've stashed them :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back