"Improved" Depend Protection With Tabs: Silver Lining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llayden

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
As it turns out, there is a small and fleeting silver lining to the introduction of the "improved" Depend Protection With Tabs design. I just picked up a pack of the plastic backed version at Fred and Meyers for $5.89 It was marked as a closeout price, so one can surmise that the deal will not last long, and ushers in the dreaded cloth backed version.

But for now, let the good times roll. Although I like the plastic backed version, they are cheap and almost wholly ineffective against large voids but fit well and do protect a bit, this is actually closer to the price that I would put on them normally. I've always felt they were marked up too much for what they were.

Unfortunately, I use S/M, which I haven't seen at Fred Meyer's for some time. I get mine at Rite Aid, and while they've discounted them for their cardholders, I'm not one and would rather not do so.

Trevor said:
Unfortunately, I use S/M, which I haven't seen at Fred Meyer's for some time....

Really? My Freddy's has S/M.

Llayden said:
Really? My Freddy's has S/M.

I'll have another look but every one I've been to since the great Walgreens purge has only stocked large.

That's strange. Ever since then it's the only place that carries both sizes around here. I wear the S/M mostly, but find that sometimes I get a better fit out of the L's sometimes, dunno why.

had photographs developed at a Fred Meyer in Salt Lake City once decent place. this was back in the early to mid 90's .boy that ground water is veerrrrryyyy salty there. Nice town though. Hilton at the airport was a nice place for Breakfast buffet .

The Walmart near where I live still has the plastic backed Protection with Tabs, so I've stocked up a bit while they are still around. Based on how often I wear, my new stash will probably last me over a year.

It makes me wonder if Depend is losing a good share of the actual diaper market. They've been focused on making products too discreet. They have nothing to cover overnight users. It's not because of the plastic backing being an issue. It's the fact that they are so thin and don't absorb enough for a lot of users.

When will companies realize that discretion isn't a factor at some point any more. Some people need the extra protection at the cost of discretion.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
It makes me wonder if Depend is losing a good share of the actual diaper market. They've been focused on making products too discreet. They have nothing to cover overnight users. It's not because of the plastic backing being an issue. It's the fact that they are so thin and don't absorb enough for a lot of users.

When will companies realize that discretion isn't a factor at some point any more. Some people need the extra protection at the cost of discretion.

I agree! That's why it doesn't make any sense to me. They have a whole line up of discrete options, why did they have to change the one product that was designed for maximum use? If you need discrete, use one of their other products!

I sent the following to them on their contact us form "I am not a normal Depend user but when I saw that you had redesigned the Protection with Tabs line to have a soft outer cover and velcro I was hopeful that it would be better than the old plastic backed ones. I was sadly disappointed. While the "cloth" back is very soft, the velcro is strong, and the leg guards are nice that is where my praise ends. When used they do not seem to absorb very fast leaving a wet feeling which will lead to a diaper rash. The backing ripped where the velcro attached. You took away the rear elastic that helped it not feel like it was going to fall off. The CVS / Walgreens brand of adult diapers is hands down a better product. It is sad that a store brand is better than a name brand in quality when the parent company of the name brand makes the best kids diapers in the US. Is it so hard to move the technology and knowledge from Huggies to Depend? I understand that you are trying to not relate the two products in the minds of consumers but come on! The Depend brand is un-Dependa-ble. What this tells me as a consumer is that you do not want to be in the adult incontinence products line and are making them as bad as possible. Take a look at European brands and the CVS / Walgreens tape on adult diapers and see what you need to improve."

They don't care about the briefs because they haven't ever advertised them and haven't made many changes beyond tapestries to the actual product in a couple of decades. This isn't their focus and they are continuously pushing for the protective underwear in any advertisement.

The only reason they probably are making a change is because they are the only major brand in US that still had plastic backing.

In all actuality, they were overpriced for such an disappointing product. Store brands were just as good if not better than Depend Max Briefs. You really only pay extra for the brand name.

The thing I hate about Kimberly Clark is the fact that they own so many patents for useful technology and they don't do anything to improve the diaper.

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
They don't care about the briefs because they haven't ever advertised them and haven't made many changes beyond tapestries to the actual product in a couple of decades. This isn't their focus and they are continuously pushing for the protective underwear in any advertisement.

The only reason they probably are making a change is because they are the only major brand in US that still had plastic backing.

In all actuality, they were overpriced for such an disappointing product. Store brands were just as good if not better than Depend Max Briefs. You really only pay extra for the brand name.

The thing I hate about Kimberly Clark is the fact that they own so many patents for useful technology and they don't do anything to improve the diaper.

Personally, I was paying extra for the plastic and I was happy to do so. They were still cheaper than any of the reasonable alternative products. Each of those alternative products I've tried (Tranquility ATNs, Northshore Supreme Light Briefs, Attends) might be better but they cost more and Depends filled the niche of what I needed very well. Now I'll have to pay a little more and order online besides. It's a bit unfair of me to complain about them not fulfilling my kink needs but they're not fulfilling the practical incontinence needs of a lot of other people, so I feel somewhat justified in my grumping.

That's exactly how I feel.

I haven't even notice this at all truthfully lol. These are my favorite diapers! :) usually I'm in such a rush to take one out of the package/bag and tape one up upon me :/. Due to the fact I am currently living with my grandmother/mom. I know that sounds confusing but she is my grandma but she went an adopted me from my real parents that are gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back