Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware of IRS impersonator tax scam (United States)

Default Beware of IRS impersonator tax scam (United States)

I didn't get taken by this, it was a far too pathetic attempt at a scam, but I'll put it out as a warning to everyone else. There are automated systems calling phone numbers telling you that the IRS has a lawsuit pending against you and to call back right away to get it dealt with.

They called me twice yesterday, and then once this morning at 6:30 before I was even out of bed. I was bored yesterday and called back to have fun. This morning, the call at 6:30 before I was fully awake pissed me off. I had my morning commute today to call back, it was on.

Let's go through some of the details:
    1. They had me call a Fort Lauderdale area code to get in touch with IRS offices in Washington DC.
    2. The people you talk to have thick, THICK accents from India, so bad you can barely understand them. When asked for their names, I got Ray Benson, Mike Wang, and other similar names that are inconsistent. I work with several people from India, with an accent like that, you may be first-generation American, but you won't have an American name yet.
    3. The VOIP connection that they use to put you in touch with the call center in India is pathetically bad. You can hear other people in the background, sometimes it just breaks up entirely.
    4. They tell you that the IRS has a lawsuit against you. The IRS doesn't file lawsuits, they file claims. They'll garnish your wages, or do any of a thousand other things to get money from you, but a lawsuit isn't one of them.
    5. They threaten you with sending out an arrest warrant if you don't take care of this right now. If it's a lawsuit, why is there a threat of an arrest warrant? Is it criminal charges?
    6. They give conflicting reports of what years they have audited (since when does the IRS conduct an audit without notifying you?) and also the amount that you owe.
    7. They want you to stay on the phone while you take care of payment RIGHT NOW! If you don't do it in the next hour, they're releasing the arrest warrant (gasp!).

I could hardly keep from laughing at how pathetic the attempt was. I had them hang up on me more than once when they realized I knew it was a scam, so I called back (long commute and I was pissed off at them).

Be warned that these people are trying this crap, though it's a joke. If you get a phone call, report it to the Treasury Department at: https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/conta...ort_scam.shtml so that they get shut down ASAP.

If anyone is bored and wants to have fun, I'll happily post the phone number!

I recognize the numbers I'm likely to get calls from. When I get an unknown, especially from a different area code, I answer "FBI Electronic Fraud Unit, how can I help you?" That generally ends it if its not a robocall. Robocalls, I hang up before they get too far, unless they're unusually amusing.

My favorite bad Indian call is the one that purports to be from the "Windows Service Center", telling me I need to give them control of my computer to fix a virus... As if a customer service person would actually call instead of me having to spend a couple hours of my life navigating an automated menu then waiting on hold for the privilege of talking to Habib.

We've had those people call here before. My mom called them back and told the guy, who I think was also from another country, that she knew it was a scam. He was like, ''If it's a scam why did you call back?'' I think he eventually hung up on her.

I get these calls all the time. They are pretty fun to play with. I have to admit, in recent years, the robots have gotten increasingly hostile and snobby. Only makes it more amusing though.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaStarshine View Post
    We've had those people call here before. My mom called them back and told the guy, who I think was also from another country, that she knew it was a scam. He was like, ''If it's a scam why did you call back?'' I think he eventually hung up on her.
    Does she realize that she probably paid about a hundred dollars in service charges just so she could get a "take that" in?

Quote Originally Posted by NateSean View Post
    Does she realize that she probably paid about a hundred dollars in service charges just so she could get a "take that" in?
    Hmm? Don't see how she could have been charged anything. It's not like she gave away her credit card number, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by NateSean View Post
    The scam almost always originates from a number inside the country that then connects you to a VOIP connection to some call center in India or the like, so there are no charges beyond normal in-country long distance that you might have. With free long distance, the calls cost nothing.

I answer no other telephone #'s, other than my specific contacts in the local Autism Disability Community.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    I recognize the numbers I'm likely to get calls from. When I get an unknown, especially from a different area code, I answer "FBI Electronic Fraud Unit, how can I help you?" That generally ends it if its not a robocall. Robocalls, I hang up before they get too far, unless they're unusually amusing.

My favorite bad Indian call is the one that purports to be from the "Windows Service Center", telling me I need to give them control of my computer to fix a virus... As if a customer service person would actually call instead of me having to spend a couple hours of my life navigating an automated menu then waiting on hold for the privilege of talking to Habib.
    I've done this but identified myself as Homeland Security.

Our local news service warned us of these idiots. I did get such a call last year and I was pretty unmerciful with them. I love the unreal names along with the Indian accents. One of those names sounded like the notorious, Mike Hunt. I almost like getting these phone calls if a real person is on the line because I string them along with all sorts of nonsense.

I hate scammers who prey on us disabled and elderly.