Thread: Donating Blood

Default Donating Blood

Hey, so I donated blood today for the first time. Now Im probably one of the last people on the planet who should be donating blood since

A: Needles freak me out and I hate blood.

B: Im technically not allowed to thanks to the FDAs stupid ban on anyone whos had gay sex within the last year (I know there's a lot of controversy about this rule and whether it's OK to lie about that. That's not what I'm intending for this thread to be about).

But thanks to one of my co-workers dad getting cancer and needing blood transfusions, hes been getting everyone to donate and I just couldnt say no.

So I donate, and I already mentioned that I hate needles. And yeah, Im visibly uncomfortable during the process. Im shaking, breathing heavily, and I was asked multiple times if I was OK (and no, free pretzels dont ease me). If theres any way to crush a squeeze ball too hard, I probably did it. So yeah, no point in saying Its not as bad as you think it is. It is for me.

So its all over. My co-worker comes up, thanks me for donating, saying Its a great help, and asks for me to help him out and donate again. I say yes since Id feel way too guilty to say No (especially when my blood type is the type most desired). But thinking back on it, I just dont think I can do it again. Though I have 16 weeks before I am eligible to donate again, so I have time. But I just dont know how to backtrack and say Sorry. Cant help you out without feeling guilty about it (or get rid of this fear and just do it again).

Well you could use the valid excuse your physician told you not to.
    When i became a Firefighter we automaticly sign up for blood and tissue donation,about 14 years ago i got "the call" that someone needed my bone marrow no problem until they sent a questionare updating them on my health, because i developed diabetes since my last update i was prohibited from donating, i was kinda crushed about it,that i was a match for somone they needed me and i could not donate.
    A year or so later i found out why i was a match and who it was for,it was my long lost older sister who is now dead. I will never be eligible to donate as i was given a permanent exclusion due to diabetes but it must have really sucked for her ,WE HAVE FOUND A PERFECT MATCH!! but you cant have it. So anyway you can gracefully decline the second time around and "save face" with just a simple my Doctor has disalowed donations due to my own health, if they press you why, just say B12 deficient anemia, it requires shots and will go away usually but in the mean time you are excluded, which is all valid and you do not have to say you are phobic.
    Me i am a completely gutless dental phobe, i took my other half to have colonoscopy they use an odor less colorless sanitizer the same one dentists use but my phobic body new it was there somehow and it took them 4 hours of mainlining Lorazepam in my IV to get me to start blinking again, i am pathetic to say the least. Hope this helps you!

I've tried, got turned down because my heart rate is too low (resting rate around 40). No, there's nothing wrong, that's a result of decades of endurance training. I could get a note from my doctor, but then I'd have to find a doctor, make an appointment....

Needles make me nervous anyway.

A warning to all, in some states it's a felony to make false statements when donating blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsmax View Post
    So it’s all over. My co-worker comes up, thanks me for donating, saying “It’s a great help”, and asks for me to help him out and donate again. I say yes since I’d feel way too guilty to say “No” (especially when my blood type is the type most desired). But thinking back on it, I just don’t think I can do it again. Though I have 16 weeks before I am eligible to donate again, so I have time. But I just don’t know how to backtrack and say “Sorry. Can’t help you out” without feeling guilty about it (or get rid of this fear and just do it again).
    There's a ton of reasons which you can use here. I'm in a bit different situation - I really want to donate blood, I used to do that a lot. But now, for about two years, I wasn't able because I had a tattoo (six months off), a cold (a month off, although it depends on medication and local rules) and vaccination (sic! why even?). Then I got private medical insurance which covered dental care, so I started going to the dentist and getting all my teeth fixed up. It's not permitted to donate blood for three months after a dental procedure and I'm going there every month, so I won't be donating soon.

Google the regulations that are in order in your area and you'll have excuses for days! It's very seldom worth to do things that cause so much stress as blood donation does to you, so you have every right to get out of that situation. Of course ideal situation would be to confront your co-worker and say how it is, but it all depends on the person, if they're understanding and if you're willing to share that with them.

Take care.

If you donate blood, I've wanted to but I come close to passing out for normal blood tests.

I donated for a number of years when Desert Storm came around. I wanted to be able to help the soldiers in some way. Then I kept donating for years until I started working three jobs. Needles don't bother me nor does blood. I put my wife on her hemodialysis machine every other night.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've definitely calmed down and am far less freaked out than I was on Friday when I donated. I'm not nearly as worried as like I said in the original post, I wouldn't even be able to donate again for 16 weeks. I'm not even sure if I'll still be there in 16 weeks, and I most certainly hope my co-worker's Dad is better by then, and that this isn't even something to worry about then. But if I'm still there, and this comes up again then, I just hope I can get over my inability to say "No" to other people, which is not only what convinced a guy with needle phobia like myself to donate blood, but extends FAR beyond this situation. But yeah, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I hate needles but blood doesn't bother me at all. I've been donating for about 3-5 years now. I always did it for selfish reasons. free movie ticket vouchers, baskin-robbin pints. But since the red cross took over my blood bank they've been reserving tickets for contests and baskin-robbins is gone. So now, I got nothing to spend my "reward" points on.

Anyways, point is you don't have to do it purely out of charity.

I am more than willing to donate but am not allowed to because of something that happened in my childhood. It's one of those things that even if I donated, one of the tests they do on incoming blood would show up positive and it would be thrown out.

What happened was that my mother (who was a nurse) contracted Hepatitis C and my sister and I were given a shot of antibodies to prevent us from becoming infected. With those antibodies in my blood, I cannot donate.