Baby Formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurfinBeachBum

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Has anyone here tried the stuff? I bought some a few months ago, and tried to make myself drink it. It was utterly disgusting and whenever I eat or drink something bad it's as if I relapse to it. Can anyone here stomach the stuff? Have any tips either?

I can't even think of eating the stuff. My child had a spit up problem, and all I remember is the smell of regurgitated formula. Makes me wretch thinking about it.

I've heard it's not good.

If you look at other threads here you will find that there doesn't appear to be a middle ground. People either hate it or like it.

Also there are various brands and various types for each brand and they do taste different.

The only one I have tried is Similac which I though was ok. I drank it cold. It does have a distinct taste but it was ok. I got the ready-made version. I had two problems with it. It is expensive and once opened, must be finished in 48 (?) hours.

Some people like it warmed and some people mix it with other liquids.

the vanilla flavored enfamil isn't too terrible...but not really something you'll ever find yourself craving either.

SleepyTyrant said:
the vanilla flavored enfamil isn't too terrible...but not really something you'll ever find yourself craving either.

The Vanilla Enfamil he's talking about is the Enfragrow Stage3 - Toddler Formula. Best deal is on Amazon, and sometimes at Safeway, for about $17/canister. You'll want to use 4-5 scoops per 12/oz bottle for best taste.

I personally like it, it's not terrible, and you do get used to it over time.

I have milupa formula for ages 2+ and it doesn't taste bad, just a little bitter. I usually put some honey or hot chocolate powder in it to make it taste better. (Not sure if it's available outside of Germany though.)
But generally, unless you're lactose intolerant, I suggest just drinking normal milk. Formula usually has loads of extra nutritients that an adult's body simply doesn't need, and it can upset your tummy if you're unlucky. so yeah. You can try it out, and if you really like it, that's fine, but I don't think it's neccessary.

Schwanensee said:
I have milupa formula for ages 2+ and it doesn't taste bad, just a little bitter. I usually put some honey or hot chocolate powder in it to make it taste better. (Not sure if it's available outside of Germany though.)
But generally, unless you're lactose intolerant, I suggest just drinking normal milk. Formula usually has loads of extra nutritients that an adult's body simply doesn't need, and it can upset your tummy if you're unlucky. so yeah. You can try it out, and if you really like it, that's fine, but I don't think it's neccessary.

Important details, there - the loads of extra vitamins and minerals are actually quite useful to many, since most menstruating women are iron-deficient, and the general population as a whole could stand to have more vitamins A and D in their diet. The DHA and other specialized vitamins/minerals are water-soluble, and thus, it doesn't matter if you have too much.

The biggest risk, naturally, is the weight gain. Think about how much a toddler moves and what their metabolism is like. Now think about yours and what percentage of your day that you're active...

I'd suggest best use in conjuction with at least 3x week gym visits with some good cardio action and high reps of low weights to build lean muscle without bulking up. You'll get great definition this way, have good musculoskeletal tone, while still looking little.

PaddedPuppy said:
While a few bottles every now and then won't do any real harm, but if you regularly drink a lot you could find yourself making many unpleasant trips to the lavatory, gaining weight, or just feeling generally unwell.

I just want to emphasize this. I have no problem drinking a container of Similac in the 48 hours allowed but I only do this once every couple of months. Again, if you drink formula as a treat once-in-awhile, I don't think you will have any problems with any of the formula types. If you drink formula more often or have a specific medical problem, then you may need to adjust when, what and how you drink formula.

I don't get the weight gain...the one I have has about the same amount of calories as skimmed milk, so not that much at all. I was talking more about stuff like calcium, which can block your ability to absorb other minerals (I think).

I love the taste of low iron formula mmm :cloud9: I like to drink it from my baby bottle.

When I'm in baby mood, I drink formula at least twice a day- one when wake up in the morning, and one before I fall asleep- there's nothing like drinking a worm bottle in the crib, while the mobile above making it's move...
Sometimes that's my only nutrition for the day (then I drink every 3 hours).

As a baby for real 58 years ago, I was fed SIMILAC.
I did try drinking it again several years ago, but I thought it tasted yucky.
It is like how the Hell did I stand drinking SIMILAC decades ago as a baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back