When is the Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now+0.001 second or so, in human-comprehendable terms.

--sf

Zendot said:
Furthermore, past and future doesn't really exist, the past is just a memory and the future hasn't happened yet, and contrary to what most of us might think time isn't "moving", what happens is that everything is constantly changing, time is just a measure. What i'm trying to say is that the past isn't behinds us nor the future ahead of us, these are just ideas, concepts and memories. It's not that the past and future don't exist, they do but just as concepts, unlike the present.

I disagree. Time isn't constant, it changes depending on various variables such as the speed at which something is traveling, and gravitational forces. Something that is simply a measure or concept wouldn't change outside of human interaction.

brabbit1987 said:
I disagree. Time isn't constant, it changes depending on various variables such as the speed at which something is traveling, and gravitational forces. Something that is simply a measure or concept wouldn't change outside of human interaction.

I'm not sure I follow. I heard that before, I just don't see how that contradicts time being a measure.

Zendot said:
I'm not sure I follow. I heard that before, I just don't see how that contradicts time being a measure.

I am not saying it isn't a measurement, I am just pointing out how it's not just a measurement. Basically, I am saying it's more than a measure. Time exists. The past and future most certainly do exist. You claimed they do not. The fact time is able to be altered by gravity, is a testament that it does exist.

A ruler for example, you can heat it up and stretch it, but that doesn't change what an inch is. However, time ... if it's stretched through gravity does actually change how long a second is, a minute, an hour, etc. Not sure if I am making any sense. It's a pretty complicated subject. XD

brabbit1987 said:
I am not saying it isn't a measurement, I am just pointing out how it's not just a measurement. Basically, I am saying it's more than a measure. Time exists. The past and future most certainly do exist. You claimed they do not. The fact time is able to be altered by gravity, is a testament that it does exist.

A ruler for example, you can heat it up and stretch it, but that doesn't change what an inch is. However, time ... if it's stretched through gravity does actually change how long a second is, a minute, an hour, etc. Not sure if I am making any sense. It's a pretty complicated subject. XD

I still don't think it exists outside of our minds, as a concept or a measurement. I can understand what you're saying it's just... I don't see any proof backing it up, I'm not saying there isn't, but if there is, where is it? And I heard about it before, and there was even a time (ha!) where I agreed with it.

Zendot said:
I still don't think it exists outside of our minds, as a concept or a measurement. I can understand what you're saying it's just... I don't see any proof backing it up, I'm not saying there isn't, but if there is, where is it? And I heard about it before, and there was even a time (ha!) where I agreed with it.

Well we do need to adjust the time in orbit every so often due to the offset. They also have done tests using atomic clocks, which measure time extremely accurate and finely. They set them to the exact same time, and placed them in different locations, one closer to the surface of earth, and one further away. So it's not like there isn't any evidence of this. Also, it fits well within our understanding of physics. In other words, the math also points to this being the case.

brabbit1987 said:
Well we do need to adjust the time in orbit every so often due to the offset. They also have done tests using atomic clocks, which measure time extremely accurate and finely. They set them to the exact same time, and placed them in different locations, one closer to the surface of earth, and one further away. So it's not like there isn't any evidence of this. Also, it fits well within our understanding of physics. In other words, the math also points to this being the case.

Yes, and Einstein, in his theory of relativity, also mentions that. You might know more about this than I do, but those experiments only tell me that the clocks either ran faster or slower. Did they do that because time was faster or slower or because of other factors like magnetism or something else?

And even if time can be slowed or accelerated, you still can't go back to the past, because it doesn't exist, or jump to the "future" and return to the "present" because the future you just jumped has become, or rather is still, the present.

Zendot said:
Yes, and Einstein, in his theory of relativity, also mentions that. You might know more about this than I do, but those experiments only tell me that the clocks either ran faster or slower. Did they do that because time was faster or slower or because of other factors like magnetism or something else?

And even if time can be slowed or accelerated, you still can't go back to the past, because it doesn't exist, or jump to the "future" and return to the "present" because the future you just jumped has become, or rather is still, the present.

Ya, that is the point where I no longer know for sure. I would have to do more research into the subject, but I am going to go out on a limb here and figure they know what can and cannot effect these atomic clocks that they use. I mean generally speaking they will put in a ton of safe guards to make sure that what they are detecting isn't caused by outside factors. Just recently they detected a gravitational wave for example. They have the experiment going on all over the planet, so if all of them detect it, then they know it's real and not just some other outside factor such as a tremor.

At a certain point, I leave it up to scientists and trust them.

Now as for actually traveling to the past or future, I don't see why not. We are technically already moving forward in one direction, and it can be slowed down and speed up if the above is true. If time can be speed up, then you most certainly can go to the future at least. Reversing time however, not sure how something like that could even be done or if it's even possible. I know there is some hypothesis out there that if there was a parallel universe, that maybe their time is in reverse, but of course living in that universe to them, it would be moving forward and be reversing for us.

Apparently a computer simulation using our current model of physics of the big bang showed it should have created two universes. Course that is just something I read. So I would take it with a grain of salt. Something else to consider though is that for every positive there is a negative. If time is something that can be manipulated, a negative has to exist somewhere. So parallel universe hypothesis wouldn't allow for traveling in the past but still have the negative. Without the parallel universe, the negative is an unknown factor.

At the end of the day, you very well could be right. There might be some other factors we are not taking into consideration for the cause of the difference in times on these clocks. However, take into consideration that all of Einsteins theories have been correct thus far. Even when he thought he was wrong, he ended up being right.

brabbit1987 said:
Ya, that is the point where I no longer know for sure. I would have to do more research into the subject, but I am going to go out on a limb here and figure they know what can and cannot effect these atomic clocks that they use. I mean generally speaking they will put in a ton of safe guards to make sure that what they are detecting isn't caused by outside factors. Just recently they detected a gravitational wave for example. They have the experiment going on all over the planet, so if all of them detect it, then they know it's real and not just some other outside factor such as a tremor.

At a certain point, I leave it up to scientists and trust them.

Now as for actually traveling to the past or future, I don't see why not. We are technically already moving forward in one direction, and it can be slowed down and speed up if the above is true. If time can be speed up, then you most certainly can go to the future at least. Reversing time however, not sure how something like that could even be done or if it's even possible. I know there is some hypothesis out there that if there was a parallel universe, that maybe their time is in reverse, but of course living in that universe to them, it would be moving forward and be reversing for us.

Apparently a computer simulation using our current model of physics of the big bang showed it should have created two universes. Course that is just something I read. So I would take it with a grain of salt. Something else to consider though is that for every positive there is a negative. If time is something that can be manipulated, a negative has to exist somewhere. So parallel universe hypothesis wouldn't allow for traveling in the past but still have the negative. Without the parallel universe, the negative is an unknown factor.

At the end of the day, you very well could be right. There might be some other factors we are not taking into consideration for the cause of the difference in times on these clocks. However, take into consideration that all of Einsteins theories have been correct thus far. Even when he thought he was wrong, he ended up being right.
You know what I just thought about? Before we had mechanical clocks there were sun clocks, that measure time based on the position of the sun in the sky, it would be interesting doing that experiment with this type of clock. I have a feeling that there wouldn't be any discrepancy, but I could be wrong.

It has been nice talking about this subject with you. I find that for the most part, most of us just want to win arguments when entering a discussion, and not that I don't enjoy it too, but I prefer having discussions to learn and I am ok to admit that I was wrong or not 100% correct.

Enviado do meu C1905 através de Tapatalk

Zendot said:
You know what I just thought about? Before we had mechanical clocks there were sun clocks, that measure time based on the position of the sun in the sky, it would be interesting doing that experiment with this type of clock. I have a feeling that there wouldn't be any discrepancy, but I could be wrong.

It has been nice talking about this subject with you. I find that for the most part, most of us just want to win arguments when entering a discussion, and not that I don't enjoy it too, but I prefer having discussions to learn and I am ok to admit that I was wrong or not 100% correct.

Enviado do meu C1905 através de Tapatalk

Ya, I don't think the sun clocks would work since it's not actually keeping track of time, rather it's just keeping track of the position of the earth and sun and using shadows to estimate at what period in the day it is. Also, is light even effected by time? I don't know.

I can sometimes be in it to win an argument, but for things I am not sure on, such as this subject ... not so much. My knowledge on the matter is fairly limited to pretty much what I already told you and even that is just things I learned, but don't fully understand myself. It's a pretty complicated subject. XD

Technically the future never comes cause it will always be in front of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back