Making Your Own Kids Clothes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleAndrea

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
So I have been a sewer for a long time and have made pieces of clothing for myself before using modern patterns that are available but has anyone ever tried upsizing toddler patterns to adult sizes before?

I have recently bought 10 patterns for toddler clothes a few of which I think I could get away with wearing in public (I am female and look relatively young so I don't think anyone would bat an eye). I have never taken on a task of this magnitude before so I was just wondering if anyone has done it and what their experiences were with it. Thanks for any replies in advance.

I've tried this before, the size never came out right, it would always be too big in some places and too small/short in other places and I has the patterns blown up on a large scale printer. I ended up taking apart things that fit me & my girlfriend and making patterns out of them, but I've only done onesies, rompers, diaper covers, bibs and stuff like that. Hope this helps.

I'm actually thinking of using the slash and spread method using the difference between the measurements given in the toddler size and trying to increase them over a few steps to my measurements and seeing if that will work. There is the most adorable dress with a pinafore that I really want (this is not the one I will be wearing out). I have the original pattern from the 80s and I'm going to give it a shot, whats the worst that can happen I waste a few hours and a few yards of cheap fabric. My fingers are crossed. :smile:

I haven't tried making my own clothes yet (at least not with toddler patterns) but I have this pink jumper with cats all over it and I often wear little bows in my hair. Then again, I'm still in high school. A few people commented on it, but I don't think anyone really minded.
I think your best bet is using adult patterns and changing them a little bit, like making shirts a bit shorter or adding little ribbons, lace or buttons here and there. Childish themes like cats or owls would also be cute and in my opinion socially acceptable, what with the current fashion of putting cute owls on everything anyway.

I don't think simply enlarging toddler patterns would work, children have different proportions that adults, for example the torso/arm ratio. Toddlers are more compact, their bodies aren't as long compared to their size, their arms are shorter too. If you were to enlarge a shirt so that it would be long enough, it would look like an XXXL adult shirt or something, which is probably not what you're going for.

Sounds like a good idea, please let me know how it turns out, I'd love to make one of those for my gf.

I always wanted to learn how to sew my own clothes so I can customize to the way I like. I rarely find anything out there online that I actaully like... most of them are too much for my liking like too much ruffles, laces etc. I like modern girl clothing as well.

LovelyLily said:
I always wanted to learn how to sew my own clothes so I can customize to the way I like. I rarely find anything out there online that I actaully like... most of them are too much for my liking like too much ruffles, laces etc. I like modern girl clothing as well.

Maybe you can ask a relative or a friend to help you? My grandmother taught me the basics of sewing and from then on I figured the rest out myself. Though I don't often make clothes, I like sewing stuffed animals or clothes for dolls. Usually, if you have a pattern, there are instructions on each step and you just have to precisely follow them.

LovelyLily said:
I rarely find anything out there online that I actaully like...

Many of the things I find online or in the store that I like are not in my size. My mom could sew well, if there was a pattern. She always had trouble when trying to resize a pattern. My sister is pretty good at sewing as well. I, on the other hand, can barely sew a straight line! Although I can sew on a button or two :)

I'd love to learn the basics of sewing. There's a few things that I'd like to try to make, one being a large teddy bear and some clothes. But to ask my family would be out of the question, since it would be way out of character for me.

FluffyMastiff said:
I'd love to learn the basics of sewing. There's a few things that I'd like to try to make, one being a large teddy bear and some clothes. But to ask my family would be out of the question, since it would be way out of character for me.

I'm going to be honest, I taught myself for the most part. There are many different patterns out there some are made specifically for beginners, even stuffed animal patterns. Most if not all of them have as Shwanwnsee said earlier they have very detailed instructions and some even have black and white pictures so you can see what it is supposed to look like. I think it's one of the best things that I have ever taught myself.

It kind of makes you proud to wear something that you made yourself and there are always situations like this where the clothes that you want to wear simply just don't come in your size and you have to try and find a way around it. I have seen outfits that you can buy online but the prices they charge are insane and most of them are a little over the top. I just want something that looks authentic, perhaps some things that I can wear full-time and get away with in public which just can't happen with a lot of the clothing that you see for sale.

Recently I have been altering some of the clothing that I already own to make them a little more toddler friendly. Such as I have a pair of jeans that I just got a large pink flower iron on that will make them look exactly like a pair of toddler jeans that I saw at K-Mart. So excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back