Cleaning bottles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBelleReturns

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
So I think I may have done something silly.. I used a cleaning product that has bleach in to disinfect my bottles to make sure they are extra clean (OCD), and I washed them 3 times with washing up liquid after but it still smells of the cleaning product.. my bottles tend to retain the smell of things like orange juice, hence why I used this cleaning product.. Do you think I will get sick if I use them? :(

Hi. Little Belleville.

Have you try soaking them overnight in Milton. This will clean them and take the smell out.
Or be like me and just wash them up and reuse. As can not what between bottles.

sisi said:

Hi. Little Belleville.

Have you try soaking them overnight in Milton. This will clean them and take the smell out.
Or be like me and just wash them up and reuse. As can not what between bottles.

I will try that :) Thank you! I have washed them 3 times but I'm scared to drink from them in case I am drinking cleaning solution :laugh:

Actually, Milton itself is a form of bleach. Both are aqueous solutions of Sodium Hypochlorite. Milton is simply sold at a lower concentration, with a bit of added salt. Provided that you've properly rinsed out the bottle, ideally with hot water, there shouldn't be any issue. In many municipalities, Sodium Hypochlorite is actually added to potable water at treatment works before it's pumped into the water main, so technically, you drink incredibly dilute bleach every day. While there are theoretical health risks from this, they have historically been regarded as extremely insignificant compared to the risk posed by water-borne pathogens like Cholera and Typhoid.

LittleBelle said:
So I think I may have done something silly.. I used a cleaning product that has bleach in to disinfect my bottles to make sure they are extra clean (OCD), and I washed them 3 times with washing up liquid after but it still smells of the cleaning product.. my bottles tend to retain the smell of things like orange juice, hence why I used this cleaning product.. Do you think I will get sick if I use them? :(

Just put them in boiling water for 30 minutes and they will be clean as new.

When I had IRL little and that happened the best way to clean them was to toss them, beside that was my wife's answer so every six months we either sized up or just replaced them because the nipples would get hard or leak by then. Both of my kids where chewers.

Akastus said:
Actually, Milton itself is a form of bleach. Both are aqueous solutions of Sodium Hypochlorite. Milton is simply sold at a lower concentration, with a bit of added salt. Provided that you've properly rinsed out the bottle, ideally with hot water, there shouldn't be any issue. In many municipalities, Sodium Hypochlorite is actually added to potable water at treatment works before it's pumped into the water main, so technically, you drink incredibly dilute bleach every day. While there are theoretical health risks from this, they have historically been regarded as extremely insignificant compared to the risk posed by water-borne pathogens like Cholera and Typhoid.

That makes me feel a little better, thank you :)

I use baking soda to clean my sports bottles and water bladders (camelbak) use a teaspoon in a small bottle with hot water. Shake and allow to soak for half an hour then rinse with hot water.

PaddedPaddler said:
I use baking soda to clean my sports bottles and water bladders (camelbak) use a teaspoon in a small bottle with hot water. Shake and allow to soak for half an hour then rinse with hot water.

This, and/or boiling. Aside from that, toss. My sippy cups , wihich are probably on the more expensive end (Nalgene), are only ~6/ea, and, though it would suck to throw them out, if the smell in them didn't come out, I would. While we're on this - Coffee doesn't come out very well!

EDIT: Evenflo still makes glass bottles - do you have those?

I use Playtex Drop-ins, just toss the liner and use a new liner.

Trisy said:
This, and/or boiling. Aside from that, toss. My sippy cups , wihich are probably on the more expensive end (Nalgene), are only ~6/ea, and, though it would suck to throw them out, if the smell in them didn't come out, I would. While we're on this - Coffee doesn't come out very well!

EDIT: Evenflo still makes glass bottles - do you have those?

Okay thank you :) I might actually try coffee to get rid of the cleaning smell :D I'm way too clumsy for glass bottles, I have an A* in breaking things :laugh:

LittleBelle said:
Okay thank you :) I might actually try coffee to get rid of the cleaning smell :D I'm way too clumsy for glass bottles, I have an A* in breaking things :laugh:

I'd be careful with that - Might end up with an awful combination like Orange Italian Roast! :lol:

The glass bottles are quite a bit more hardy than you'd think!

Glass should rid of smells quite easily I would have thought. Coffee is the worst! Once made a coffee in my Nalgene style bottle when out kayaking... had no other vessel to make it in. Forgot to clean it out for a couple of days and ended up throwing the bottle away as it was impossible to get the old coffee smell out (fresh coffee... amazing... old coffee.... yuck)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back