Not open for further replies.

LittleICme

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
How does the ABU compare to the Dry 24/7? They look very similar.

I have not tried the ABU Space/Simple diaper yet. Very interested to do so.

I have tried the medium Dry 24/7. like it alot. sizing is larger than the Abena M4. Absorbency level is very good. Finding that I am not a huge fan of elastic waistbands due to leaking-like I can never get the diaper tight enough.

Is the ABU Space better than the Dry 24/7?

Last edited:
The Space, Simple, and Little Paws are identical models, that only differ in their shell artwork. The simple is all white except for a handful of very sparse, small, black ABU logos on the tape panel, it has no wetness indicator. The paws wings are a plaid green/blue, with the bulk of the diaper being white. There are paw-tracks down both gutters that fade when wet, and there are padded pups playing on the front panel. (marci's art I believe) The space are a full-shell artwork, with nothing specific added to the front tape panel, and the entire diaper is a medium blue, you'd need to go look at some pics for a better idea of what it looks like as there's a lot going on.

The simple are slightly cheaper than the equally-priced space and paws. They're probably just passing on the added manufacturing cost for the shell art printing. If looks don't matter at all for you, just get the simple, since they feel and perform identically. ABU also sells stickers, which are basically a purpose-made sticker to put on the tape panel to give the simple (or any other diaper really) whatever custom look you'd like to see on your diaper. I'd call that a great idea, it allows ABU to effectively carry a huge variety of differnet models of diaper at very little added cost to them - having to keep a large variety in stock is usually very epxpensive. Right now though all they have are various different babyfur themes along with one dinosaur. (again I'd bet all the art is Marci) It'd be a good idea for them to come up with a wider general variety, which we may see later. (sissy, baby, dom, etc, the themes typically paired with diapers)

Also, if you're just looking for a discrete diaper that you're worried about being seen in, just sticking with the plain simple is a good route to go. The corrugated elastic folding in the back can easily be mistaken for white boxers at any distance if your shirt comes untucked. But you're gonna have a poofy crotch/butt and at least a slight waddle, regardless, they're thick 'n wide! ;)

How about the level of the crinkle?
How about general fit and comfort?
How about performance?

LittleICme said:
How about the level of the crinkle?
How about general fit and comfort?
How about performance?

Fit is ... wide. Wide crotch, wide padding front and back. The tapes are fairly widely spaced on both sides so they do a good job of working to independently fit around the legs and around the waist. Comfort is somewhat subjective I suppose, but I find them very comfortable myself.

Performance is excellent. This seems to be an area the industry has really started to get figured out, with fast wicking and high capacity. To be honest, I have YET to manage to fill one of these closer than 5' from the back top of the padding, and that still amazes me. They swell a fair amount, but with the extra wide crotch they don't "seal off" flow to the back as some others will. I think these might be the best performing diapers available right now.

I decided to dig into my stash just now to test crinkle, because that's one of those things that is difficult to compare from one day to the next. To be subjective, I just pulled them out of the stacks where they had been laying on their side, allowed to fluff up on their own. I compared an original Crinklz, a version 2 Crinklz (based on comficare) as well as a paws and a SDK version 2. I've heard two people comment they don't like how the Crinklz forsaked their name and got quieter. I just held the diapers out in front of me one at a time, sideways, top facing me, one end in each hand, and gave them a rapid twist back and forth several times, to flex the diaper, and compared sounds. (this is much more consistent and controlled than putting them on and walking around etc)

What I found was a little surprising. The original and the revision 2 Crinklz were identical in sound. I could not tell them apart, and they were quite loud. The paws and the SDK2's were also identical sounding, but noticeably quieter. I believe the biggest factor in crinkle sound in a diaper is the material the shell is made from, and to a lesser degree, the padding within and how it's glued down. The paws/sdk shell feel and appear identical. The old and new Crinklz shells look and feel different, but I think the outer shell itself is unchanged, but the padding below is quite different, giving them a different feel, but not a different sound.

Without audio gear and much better controlled conditions, it'd be hard to get a very precise judgement on sound. I think the best I could do here would be to say "low, medium, or high". Crinklz1/2: high. paws/simple/space/sdk2/cushies2: medium.

I'd also point out that the tape panel is a sepate sound issue. Tape panels don't usually contribute much to the sound because the stiffer material just doesn't make much noise when twisted. BUT I've found a hard tape panel does make a loud sound when pressed on, like if I press in on my fly. Even very quiet diapers like Waddlers make a very noticeable loud sound from that. In that regard, the paws/simple/space have a thinner/stiffer/harder panel and rate High, whereas the crinklz1/2 both rate medium with no panel and the sdk2/cushies2 rate LOW actually, because of their very thick and rubbery panel.

This bit of testing was quite educational for me ;)

oh and a bit of a correction of sorts... there IS a difference between the tape panels on the paws/simple/space. All three appear to use the same panel AND same shell, but there's some sort of manufacturing difference (maybe in the glue or the stretching) that makes the space and simple look more "wrinkled", but only the space is actually louder. I don't know why this is, but it's a noticeable difference. You can feel a wrinkle in both the space and simple's tape panel as applied. But only the space is louder as a result. It's weird, and may also be something that varies from run to run.

So since there are two factors at work that can be measured, I'm going to a scale of 1-5, 5 being loudest.
SDK2/Cushies2: 2
Simple/Paws: 3
Crinklz1/Crinklz2: 4

ec07_for_science.jpg

I've been in Space for the past three days, and it was the most pleasant experience of my life. Granted, I haven't really tried any other diapers yet, so comparatively, this might not be the best review, but I'll still give it a shot!

Like Bambinod said, Space/Pawz/Simples are WIDE and swell noticeably when wet. The dry diaper is poofy and slightly crinkly, just enough for you to know what it is, but to the uninitiated, hearing it mixed with seeing the bulge will definitely give the secret away if you're going for stealthy wearing. Despite this, they are VERY soft and comfortable. Very fun to snuggle up in and get cozy <3

When wet, as stated, they swell. Noticeably. From my experience, the scent of the #1 is very well concealed and the liquid is efficiently and quickly wicked from the front down. For me personally, the swelling forces my small hips to into a waddle. Between the waddle and the wetness, I was able to hear me crinkling down the hallway with my headphone on. Again, this is just from personal experience!

Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend the Space/Pawz/Simple. From everything I've read, the common opinion is that they are the finest diapers you can get your hands on!

Received my sample of space and simple 3 days ago and these reviews are making me want to try them on next. Got some id slips medium and wet every inch of it last night and did not leak.
Now in an m4 and on it's way to being very wet. I am very happy now that i can get into mediums now.

WABX said:
Received my sample of space and simple 3 days ago and these reviews are making me want to try them on next. Got some id slips medium and wet every inch of it last night and did not leak.
Now in an m4 and on it's way to being very wet. I am very happy now that i can get into mediums now.

Do it do it do it PLEASE try them next!!

We've all done a great job of answering other questions but not the OP's questions directly.

Having worn the 24/7 and the ABU Simple, I can say the following:
- The Simple is a tad wider in the crotch than the 24/7, which means a bit more waddle. This may or may not be a good thing depending on what you prefer/are aiming for
- The Simple swells more than the 24/7 does
- Capacity is quite similar between both
- Both appear to have lots of SAP because they absorb and lock it in; whereas pulp has a lot of "press out" that results in leaks when sitting
- Both do quite well at holding together and not clumping up, whereas others eg the M4 the padding tends to clump and fall into other parts of the diaper
- I prefer the Simple's resealable tape panel over the "2nd chance" tapes of the 24/7
- I've never had the tapes on a Simple pop, but had many 24/7 tapes pop.
- Both are quite similar in terms of crinkle
- I personally prefer the fit of the Simple; I'm a slim build with 32" waist and the Medium fits me well
- The 24/7 was significantly cheaper per diaper than the Simple is; until Padding Plus Australia ceased stocking the 24/7 [emoji45]
- Overall, they're both excellent diapers and blow M4s and similar products out the water. Both are great choices. It comes down to your preferences.

LittleICme said:
How does the ABU compare to the Dry 24/7? They look very similar.

I have not tried the ABU Space/Simple diaper yet. Very interested to do so.

I have tried the medium Dry 24/7. like it alot. sizing is larger than the Abena M4. Absorbency level is very good. Finding that I am not a huge fan of elastic waistbands due to leaking-like I can never get the diaper tight enough.

Is the ABU Space better than the Dry 24/7?

Shaunikins321 said:
We've all done a great job of answering other questions but not the OP's questions directly.

Having worn the 24/7 and the ABU Simple, I can say the following:
- The Simple is a tad wider in the crotch than the 24/7, which means a bit more waddle. This may or may not be a good thing depending on what you prefer/are aiming for
- The Simple swells more than the 24/7 does
- Capacity is quite similar between both
- Both appear to have lots of SAP because they absorb and lock it in; whereas pulp has a lot of "press out" that results in leaks when sitting
- Both do quite well at holding together and not clumping up, whereas others eg the M4 the padding tends to clump and fall into other parts of the diaper
- I prefer the Simple's resealable tape panel over the "2nd chance" tapes of the 24/7
- I've never had the tapes on a Simple pop, but had many 24/7 tapes pop.
- Both are quite similar in terms of crinkle
- I personally prefer the fit of the Simple; I'm a slim build with 32" waist and the Medium fits me well
- The 24/7 was significantly cheaper per diaper than the Simple is; until Padding Plus Australia ceased stocking the 24/7 [emoji45]
- Overall, they're both excellent diapers and blow M4s and similar products out the water. Both are great choices. It comes down to your preferences.

Thank you very much!
Sounds like the ABU may have a SLIGHT advantage/preference, but may not be worth the cost difference over the 24/7

LittleICme said:
Sounds like the ABU may have a SLIGHT advantage/preference, but may not be worth the cost difference over the 24/7

Specific differences I've noticed comparing the ABU space/paws/simple with one each sitting in front of me right now:

- ABU have a shorter amount of "dead space" in the front and back where there is no padding before the end of the diaper (3" vs 3.75" front, 3" vs 4.25 back)
- ABU have a wider crotch (7" vs 7.5")
- ABU leak guards are taller (3" vs 2.5")
- ABU leg gathers are wider (3" vs 2")
- ABU has a slick, thick tape panel on the front, the 24/7 has no tape panel and uses double tapes instead
- the double tapes on the 24/7 tend to be a bit more prickly on my wrists as I sleep on my back with my hands on my thighs. The tapes are often folded during production, and I have to straighten them out before applying. For some reason this never seems to happen on the ABU, the tapes are always kept flat. I've also been frustrated numerous times by tapes that were partially peeld up and stuck somewhere on the diaper during folding. Few things are more annoying than being in a hurry and tearing a hole in your diaper as you quickly try to unfold it because a tape was stuck down somewhere werid. They need to tweak their folding machine to safeguard the tapes.

differences discovered during use:

- ABU is higher capacity than the 24/7, by around 5-10oz. the dry thickness and weight are very close, but the ABU swell more and aren't as stiff, suggesting higher quality SAP
- ABU tapes are a lot more reliable (the 24/7's tapes pop from time to time) and to my surprise can be moved multiple times without issues. I've never had one come off.
- the white (2nd) tapes on the 24/7 don't stick nearly as well as the blue. the blue seem to go down and be there forever. If you get a pop, it's usually when the white has popped off the blue, or you've need to move it and peeled and relocated the white and later it pops off from its new location. I've also tried just iniitially not using the blue tape and removing it before ever diapering up, and the white tapes are still prone to popping. they apparently don't use enough adhesive on the white tapes. (they're less likely to pop when left on the blue tapes than when stuck down on the diaper shell)

Don't get me wrong, the 24/7 are great diapers, they were my preferred overnight diaper for a long time and I have quite a few of them onhand. But given the choice for overnight, I'll pick ABU every time. The price difference is about $1.68 vs $1.99 / pc. I beleve that's easily worth all you get. ("it's a no-brainer")

oh and a correction on my previoius post: the Little Paws animal artwork is not limited to the tape panel, the critters run along the sides from front to back, with the paw tracks in the middle, front to back. And the paws do not fade when wet, there are no wetness indicators on them or the simple. Just the green aliens washing out on the Space.

Thanks Bambinod and everyone!
I will give them a try next time I order overnight diapers.

In a space diaper right now. Best thing between my legs along with a women. Reminds me of the early dry 24/7. I don't care for the print.

I ordered my first batch of Space, SDKV, and Simples. I can't wait. Last week I got a sample pack of Dry 24/7 from XPMedical. They really good now. I was not a fan before the redesign. I will be able to get a good side-by-side of the 24/7 and the Simple tomorrow.

WABX said:
"...Best thing between my legs along with a women..."

Funny. It gave me a chuckle.

I'm my last experience with Dry 24/7 they've been deteriorating in quality. I've gotten a case that seemed to have a significantly reduced capacity. The padding fell apart so badly. The plastic backing was very rough and really did a number on my inner thighs. It's been awhile since I've bought any, about 6 months. If they were fixed since then, I don't know.

Judging upon what I've last tried, and an ABU Simple that I'm wearing as I post this, is better. Even Before the bad case, ABU Simple is better.

It's a lot more comfortable, not as stiff, fits better, longer. The crinkle of ABU Simple is quieter than Dry 24/7.

I used to buy Dry 24/7 exclusively for a couple of years, but the inconsistency finally got to me and decided to change. I went back to Bambino, and then tried the new ABU diapers and fell in love and never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back