Followup to "Fun Ride" by bn3baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi private1 Was looking at the "kinderpack" and it's like the "ERGO" carrier that I have these are much the same and are ok. The carrier that I am looking for at a good price is the Deuter Kid Comfort III. This looks like a very comfortable carrier the down side it's not cheap so it will have to come used from a second hand story.View attachment 25735[/ATTACH]819DcW-+nvL__SL1500_.jpg.

Attachments

• 816fV-8A6YL__SL1500_.jpg
    816fV-8A6YL__SL1500_.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 75
I have a lot of the frame carriers, and the old "LL Kids" (made by Kelty) one is by far the best.

There are a few different versions of Ergo but, of the ones currently available, the fabric/style is the main difference. They're all the same size. There are four different sizes of the kinderpack, and the "preschool" one is about as close as one can get to fitting a small adult rider correctly.

I'm 5'0" 120lbs, roughly the size of a well-fed 12-year-old for comparison... I haven't bought a KP ($200 is a lot of money) but I have cloned the preschool one, same size, and it's really good.

I'm working on a scaled-up version for an absolute perfect fit but I'm not sure how it's going to fit the "adult," I may have to make some considerable style/shape/cut changes rather than simply scaling it.

Please forgive the double attachments... between the forum software and Debian Linux, something is on a mission to torture me.

Attachments

• 20160308 kp clone.jpg
    20160308 kp clone.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 111
private1 said:
I have a lot of the frame carriers, and the old "LL Kids" (made by Kelty) one is by far the best.

There are a few different versions of Ergo but, of the ones currently available, the fabric/style is the main difference. They're all the same size. There are four different sizes of the kinderpack, and the "preschool" one is about as close as one can get to fitting a small adult rider correctly.

I'm 5'0" 120lbs, roughly the size of a well-fed 12-year-old for comparison... I haven't bought a KP ($200 is a lot of money) but I have cloned the preschool one, same size, and it's really good.

I'm working on a scaled-up version for an absolute perfect fit but I'm not sure how it's going to fit the "adult," I may have to make some considerable style/shape/cut changes rather than simply scaling it.

Please forgive the double attachments... between the forum software and Debian Linux, something is on a mission to torture me.

Hi private1
I think this is what your looking for. I like it but would like the back rest a little higher Dose look like a fun ride.

https://youtu.be/JfdOAA6IFGE

Indeed.

It is now being scaled to 1.25x width and 1.50x height.

It's been a very long night - shoulder straps and waist thingy being attached tomorrow.

This is for all you baby wearing fans try this out for fun. I will go for the number one spot where Chris is and pass on the other kids. Could be a great ride.

bn3baby

https://youtu.be/R6FjX1y9C60

Ahh yes, that is one of my favorite videos.

Searching google for "adultwearing tag" (no quotes) brought up some inspiring images as well.

I hit a snag with my scaled-up kp in that I ran out of fabric and have been working ridiculous hours. I did pick up more material yesterday but am on the road again today. Hopefully will get it done tonight and post some photos.

Construction is complete, still struggling with time though.

Scaled-up version, test fit.

Given the time of day I don't have any friends here right now, and given the amount of alcohol consumed by my roommate this evening, he's not an option... but I wanted to get something up here, so here's a fit demonstration using a mannequin.

20160413 002742 22410.jpg20160413 010739 25710.jpg

I neglected to move the ladder. Oops.

Compared to the preschool kinderpack, this is 25% wider and 50% taller.

Next, bn3baby... I think it's you that had a diy-scaled Merry Muscles in another thread I found... I think you're going to wind up being a big inspiration here... I bought the baby-sized MM a while back... guess what my next sewing project is? :)

Wow that is a really cool carrier well done private1. Can we see more photos of how you made and when can I go for a ride.

The super Merry Muscles I had made by Forever A Kid. Sent photos of mu Special Needs Merry Muscles and it was scaled up from there. It dose need some padding but it's fun. I did make some changes to the Special Needs Merry Muscles and I find it a better ride.

Also have a baby Trekker that is a good ride.DSCN6974.jpg

Pics 1

Well, I didn't take any pictures during the construction -- BUT, as luck would have it, it didn't come out perfectly. There were some problems, but I continued assembling anyway just for a "proof of concept." It worked out, and I have a second one already in progress, having learned from my mistakes on the first one.

In this first batch of images, try to ignore the extra pieces of (red) material around the seams where the waistband meets the main body. I made a bad decision with regard to finishing the edges of the waistband (specifically, I decided not to bother) and they started tearing in that spot. The second one I am building (some pics will be in the next reply) will be assembled differently and will thus avoid this problem, but for the "proof" one, I just had to sew some extra material over the tearing area to reinforce it.

First, meet Cameron. He should be about 6'4", but due to a tragic manufacturing decision, was decapitated at birth. Weighing in at only 30 pounds, but with a body strong as fiberglass, Cameron was completely unfazed when a 130-pound "child" fell asleep on his back for two hours.

When Cameron moved in, my two roommates - one male one female - had a fight over whose boyfriend he was going to be. Somehow he was not traumatized, and in fact he outlasted both roommates. He is still a resident of my home, and will be helping to show this carrier in several images.

cameron.jpg

Now on to the carrier itself. The body is made of some sort of thin denim material. You can make it out of just about anything, but this is the weight-supporting layer, so please choose something strong. I purchased all of the fabric involved from JoAnn Fabric.

As you view the seam detail where the waistband meets the body, please try to remember that this is not the final "perfect" product.

20160413_220532.jpg20160413_220439.jpg

The inside of the carrier is made of a lighter knit material. Both the inner and outer layers are made in the same three-panel configuration: a center panel and two side panels. Each layer is made separately and then they are sewn together "inside-out". This is the point at which I should have attached the waistband and shoulder straps (I will in the second version). The carrier is then flipped the "right" way, and another row of stitching is added at each seam where panels meet, to ensure that the inner and outer layers do not slide around relative to one another.

20160413_220730.jpg

Here are some pictures of the carrier in position, without a person in it:

20160413_220918.jpg20160413_221002.jpg20160413_220928.jpg

And a good detail image of the seams between panels:

20160413_221009.jpg

The side and shoulder fasteners -- note that there is a slight tear next to the shoulder strap: I made the same mistake here as I did on the waistband, and this is being corrected in the second version. I COULD reinforce this one... actually I probably will. Remember that I realized my error early on, but just kept going - I really just wanted something to test and see if my size/scaling was correct before I put a whole lot of effort into fixing the issues.

20160413_221024.jpg20160413_221032.jpg

Here are some details of the fastener used for the waistband. It's nothing high-tech or fancy.

20160413_221126.jpg20160413_221137.jpg

And last but not least, here is the shoulder/side strap configuration from the other side:

20160413_221216.jpg

I wasn't sure exactly what you wanted pictures of - I hope these are helpful. If there are any other specific parts or details you would like to see, by all means, let me know.

I will be posting a batch of pics of the new "in progress" one shortly, and next time I can get a day off from work I'll get a friend over here for a video.

Pics 2

Here are some pics of where we are with the second edition.

whole 1.jpgwhole 2.jpgliner inside.jpgliner outside.jpg

You will need to use your imagination in narration and captioning, as it is rather late and I am rather tired.

Here are some details of the improved seams. They are all "hidden" seams, in that the "ugly" side is covered by the other layer of fabric when it is all put together:

seam full.jpgseam main.jpgseam three.jpgseam waist.jpg

Patterns and workspace:

pattern waist.jpgpattern side.jpgpattern center.jpgwork.jpg

Lastly, the bits used for the side straps/fasteners and the padding used inside the waistband and shoulder straps.

The original KP also has some padding around the child's legs, which I intend to imitate with more of the same material.

strap.jpgpadding material.jpg

work pieces.jpg

That's great work I am impressed. Thanks for showing how it went together and look forward to the next edition. Would like to see the new one modeled with the baby using to see what it looks like from all sides. How I really want a ride but sadly I will have to be happy with baby carriers as I don't know how to drive a sewing machine.

Been thinking about getting something like Cameron my self now I will have to get at it.

We baby have fun don't we.

bn3baby said:
How I really want a ride but sadly I will have to be happy with baby carriers as I don't know how to drive a sewing machine.

Neither did I a few months ago... bought it for $5 at goodwill, read the manual to figure out how to put the thread in, then just started making it up as I went.

I might not be opposed to making and shipping these... I'd have to total up what the materials actually cost me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back