Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else "stuck"?

Misatoismywaifu

Default Anyone else "stuck"?

I graduated High School Post Recession and there was no work anywhere except 7.25 an hour part time. The town I escaped from to join the army when I was 20, with delusions of grandeur and hoping to make a career out of it. Things didn't work out, came back to this shitty town and I'm stuck living with my parents again. This is incredibly humiliating and I want out but can't afford to. There's no jobs paying a living wage anywhere and to make matters worse, the town has turned into the hood, complete with bloods, crips, gang warfare and drugs rampant. I'm really pissed off right now, I want to escape this shitty town and move back to where I grew up, not my parents and stay there for the rest of my life. I want to drop a down payment on a new vehicle, a home, etc. I have the credit to do it but not the $ the root of all evil. I just don't know how to move forward at this point. I'm pretty sure when I look back, the 20s will be officially the shittiest years of my life. I'm simply irritated, I have no healthcare, want to live on my own and do my own thing but 7.25 is a fucking joke. I'm in the rural part of the area and the internet is so slow, in between applying for grants and work, my only escapes (Netflix, Online gaming) I had to cancel memberships for because the ISP(Windstream) is simply so incompetent it's nauseating. Damn it all.

My area hasn't been that nice of a place to live since before I was born, when the steel mills started closing down and there went the jobs. I understand your situation. With college not an option, and only a high-school diploma, it's pretty rough unless you wanna have a bunch of kids and live in the projects on welfare. I only recently got my first paying job in over two years. It pays a dollar over minimum wage, but I'm only getting six fucking hours a week when I wanted twelve. On the other hand though, I gotta keep my income low enough to keep my mother on Medicaid so she can take all her pills. (I get it too, but I don't need medications.)

So yep. I'll probably never move out of my parents' house while they're alive unless I move in with someone else.

I know this feeling extremely well. I hate it too. Some days I want to crush someone's skull in. I'm sadden to say I have yet to find an answer out of his hell hole. I want all the same things. A house or apartment, and a decent job. I hate mine, but I'm forced to continue work it. I'm sorry about your inner turmoil. Just know you're not alone in this circle of hell.

This is probably what happens to the majority of people. When I graduated from college, I took the job of my dreams which paid $6000. a year putting me in the poverty level of the economy. I had as an apartment, the upstairs of an old house. My parents bought my car, but there were many days I had to walk to work because I had run out of money and so I was on empty in more ways than one.

But here's the thing. I eventually got raises. I established myself as a professional musician. Then I sent my resume out and got better jobs. My first job was 450 miles away from home. Most people have to move away from home in order to find employment. It's that kind of market. Then you probably will have to move again if you want to advance. Some people have to move out of the country in order to advance. Some people like my daughter, get lucky and live and work where they always wanted. It depends on your major and what you are skilled at doing.

But expect to move and work for damn little money. Congratulations, you're a member of the 99 percent. That's why everyone is pissed off and people like Trump and Bernie Saunders have gained traction. But if you have a plan for initial employment and then advancement, life does get better, just not at once, but over the many years of working.

I'm kind of in the same boat, whereas I'm in my junior year of college studying Recording Arts and Technology (think record producer, audio engineer, etc). I'm 20 years old and life is by no means going "fast" yet even though it feels like it. When I transferred out of my Comp. Sci. school to study music and recording, I did it with my parents blessing and being fully aware of the fact that I wouldn't make as much money right off the bat (or ever) as an IT server technician. I was doing this because I know it's what I'm good at and what I love.

The idea of money and every does make me extremely nervous, but I have been told time and time again by my folks, my GF/mommy, and her parents that they would never let me live homeless on the streets. Doesn't stop me from wanting and needing to be independent though, as I would hate to be even a temporary leech between jobs.

I can't personally know exactly what you're going through, but I can feel the frustration. Hang in there, and all of us always are open to listening if that's what you need, ever <3

Misatoismywaifu

I really don't ask for much. Just enough to do my thing. I want to smack my mom when she tries running her mouth sometimes because she hasn't worked a day in her life. I'm starting to hate anyone older than 40 too. I'm jealous of all the rich assholes buying beachfront property and their 5th F250 truck and here Iam just sort of trying to exist another day thankful when I can afford new things. The American Dream is a Pipe Dream now.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBabyMagicain View Post
    I know this feeling extremely well. I hate it too. Some days I want to crush someone's skull in. I'm sadden to say I have yet to find an answer out of his hell hole. I want all the same things. A house or apartment, and a decent job. I hate mine, but I'm forced to continue work it. I'm sorry about your inner turmoil. Just know you're not alone in this circle of hell.
    I aggree 100% With both of you and I want the same things, Right now i am in college and struggling, but still i will push forward and succeed.

Funny you should mention F250's. Only had one of them and didn't like it - too small. Have owned several used F-350's. Last month, I was feeling stuck driving a borrowed suburban nearly as old as me because I could not afford to fix my own little beater. This month, I got my rig fixed, got my finances in better shape, and was looking at used F-350's and Suburbans to replace my little junker.

Feeling stuck and being stuck is not the same thing. Having an F-350 get stuck underneath you is a disturbing feeling: 4 tons of steel suddenly dropping and stopping really messes up a day for me. How do you get it moving again? Get help to put the tires on solid ground and pulling it back to a good place. Life is the same way. There are times when things seem to have fallen into a hole and won't move. In those times, we need to ask for help out and on to solid ground. I got unstuck last week; the effort to get there started more than two years ago.

Those people with the nice houses and F-250's, have you asked any of them for their story? Around here, no one is given an F-250. Some may use a company truck to drive home, but there is a reason for it. Crummy drivers take the crummy home so they can pick up the crew on the way to work the next morning. Every person I know with the big Fords work hard every day to own their truck. Many of them use the truck for work and need the big rig to get it done. Many others saved over a lifetime to relax in their older years. Their truck gets them around to the places they never could go while they were working full time.

Comparing your life to others further along in their journey or on another path will not help you. It would be better to figure out how to get moving toward your own goal. The American dream still exists. My family and I have seen it even in recent years. It never was easy, but it is possible.

I hope you both find the help you need to get unstuck and moving toward your goal.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicFidelity View Post
    I really don't ask for much. Just enough to do my thing. I want to smack my mom when she tries running her mouth sometimes because she hasn't worked a day in her life. I'm starting to hate anyone older than 40 too. I'm jealous of all the rich assholes buying beachfront property and their 5th F250 truck and here Iam just sort of trying to exist another day thankful when I can afford new things. The American Dream is a Pipe Dream now.
    Isn't it a little ironic that you're hating people who have done exactly what you want to do? Wouldn't it be a little more productive to figure out how they did it and emulate them?

Graduated high school in 2011 with an OP 3 (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank ~95) - sufficient to get into any course except dental science, vet science and physiotherapy.

Took a Bachelor of Music from 2012 to 2014. Did it because I wanted to, and because my guidance councilor outright told me that it was only important for me to have a bachelor's degree, and that even an arts degree would be acceptable.

Hated it. I want to work in modern music and theatre and my major ended up teaching basically extremely dry pre-1950 classical music to the exclusion of all else. Had no motivation to work. Had wildly varying grades (from a 6.8 out of 7 in Semester 2 2012 to barely scraping a 4.1 out of 7 in Semester 2 2014). Developed clinical depression.

Currently employed with a choir and making a decent and regular rate - nothing massive (~$75 a week) but good for effectively casual work, plus they pay me for all hours I work including irregular hours. Three theatre shows lined up which will bring in some cash.

Going back to university in July to begin a bachelor's degree in business. The expectation is that I will be the sole breadwinner for my family and I will somehow magically turn around our luck on the stock market (getting a regular, paying job is considered absolutely verboten). It's anyone's guess whether our finances will hold out long enough for me to finish my degree before we get kicked out and have to live under a bridge, never mind lasting long enough to find a job.