ABU Space on long plane flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

dressesRbestest

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
So I have a super-long plane flight coming up soon (East coast of US to Hong Kong, and eventually back). I was planning on bringing a few ABU spaces with me for the flight. Has anybody worn one for a 12+hr long flight before? Any recommendations?

no real experience flying, but the space is a good choice I think for the trip.

dressesRbestest said:
So I have a super-long plane flight coming up soon (East coast of US to Hong Kong, and eventually back). I was planning on bringing a few ABU spaces with me for the flight. Has anybody worn one for a 12+hr long flight before? Any recommendations?

12 hour flight, no. 12 hours, yes. All I'd recommend is try not to absolutely guzzle fluid (even the Space has a limit), and make sure that you have a bowel movement before you put it on. Otherwise, it should be no different to wearing one anywhere else.

You might ask JoJo1993 for his experiences. He mentioned wearing one when he flew long-haul from Atlanta to Manchester (about 8.5 hours).

Akastus said:
12 hour flight, no. 12 hours, yes. All I'd recommend is try not to absolutely guzzle fluid (even the Space has a limit), and make sure that you have a bowel movement before you put it on. Otherwise, it should be no different to wearing one anywhere else.

You might ask JoJo1993 for his experiences. He mentioned wearing one when he flew long-haul from Atlanta to Manchester (about 8.5 hours).

This is great advice. Especially about making sure you go number two ahead of time.

I've worn diapers on the red eye from L.A. plenty of times. I rarely fly without out them out of convenience for my O.A.B. and leaks. Also, no matter how hard I try I can't get an isle seat. blech. I've always stripped myself of any garments right before the TSA, and re applied right after. If I'm having a leaky day, I just pray no one notices if something were to happen.

ABU diapers are pretty good for the most part, so I can see them holding up just fine on a long flight. With that said, don't be afraid to change. Bring a satchel or shoulder bag with you to hold your diapers and keep it under the seat in front of you. No one will immediately come to the 'diaper conclusion' if they see you toting a bag to the lavatory.

I've made the 13 hour flight to Asia didn't wear a diaper tho. You will probably have to change once if you have a premium diaper on. I recall that they played like 3 movies on the trip, hopefully u get good ones. When u gotta poop do it on the way to the bathroom or in it you don't want to make the plane smell bad.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I don't poop in my diaper so that won't be an issue. I figured I'd probably need to change at least once but I didn't think about bringing a shoulder bag for easy access. I have a few I could use.

I always wear regular clothes going thru the tsa to avoid any issues and change once I'm thru. I have this full length peasant skirt I like to wear while traveling (with pockets, Yay pockets!) so changing should be easy.

Thanks again for everyone being so super nice and helpful!

a premium diaper may last you 12 hrs, but there's going to be an odor problem much sooner than that. Although changing on a plane isn't pleasant, I think I'd actually either plan to change twice, or would just use the toilet normally as I often do at home and at work, while keeping my diaper mostly on.

Remember, don't make it a hassle, chore, really inconvenient, unpleasant, etc. Find a way to indulge while enjoying it or at least not being seriously inconvenienced.

I fly around 150,000 miles a year, including many long flights to both Europe and Asia. I am always thickly diapered. Thankfully, I am blessed to generally almost always fly in either First or Business Class when flying over the pond. My SOP is to wear a thick, premium diaper on the plane (like an Abena or Bellissimo or Dry 24/7). Then, after the meal service, I will change into my pajamas and layered diapers (usually add a Large Attends and baby diaper on top of the premium diaper). For the ultra long-hauls to Hong Kong, I'll usually add another diaper or 2 on top of that. If you're in coach, I'd recommend diapering up thickly ahead of the flight and limiting fluids. Hope this helps!

I was planning on bringing 4 diapers with me on the plane. If I need more supplies I can put them in my hubby's backpack (he spoils me like that). I suffer from minor urge IC and 95% of the time it isn't an issue, but had a REALLY close call on a plane once. The plan is to just use the bathroom normally, but I like knowing the diaper is there if I need it.

Hi how long are you going to stay Hk ? Am hopping if you have any Abu space diapers that you don't mind selling one or two to me , cause it's very hard for me to get across these diapers

Just remember if you are not pre-check, you will be going into the body scanner. The scanner is not a metal detector, its a whats in your pocket detector. It finds diapers all the time on people but I have noticed while operating it, it seems to hit much more on items that are damp. (wet hair, clothes if it is raining outside). If the scanner alarms in the groin they have to do a fairly thorough resolution pat down of the area between the hips and knees, front and back. My advice, go into screening dry, and if it alarms, ask for private screening once they have given you your advisement. TSA wont ever judge or make fun of you and despite what the news says, your safety and privacy is our concern.

Hope this helps
BabyBlue <-----Officer at Richmond International Airport

Reactions: KandiKit
Thanks for the advice BabyBlue. We are pre-check registered already but I always go thru security with my diapers in my bag then change later, just to be safe. Always good to know how the system works though.

Yep I certainly tested this! 2 hour drive to Indianapolis, 2 hour wait for the plane, 2 hour flight to Atlanta, 1.5 hour layover, 8.5 hour flight to Manchester, 1 to clear customs and drive home, then a 5 hour nap when I got home :p Held up just fine!

i would go with plastic pants over.. to catch any little drips..

dressesRbestest said:
Thanks for the advice BabyBlue. We are pre-check registered already but I always go thru security with my diapers in my bag then change later, just to be safe. Always good to know how the system works though.

Pre-Check is great. You will be going through a metal detector so wet or not it shouldn't alarm unless you have metal on you. Keys, change, cell phone, etc. Just push em in the x-ray machine, no beeps, have a great day.

Last trip from Brisbane to LAX I padded up just after dinner (about 2 hours into the flight) and stayed that way till I got to the Admirals Lounge in LAX....
Was going to take it off in the public toilets before going through TSA but for whatever reason I ended up going through TSA still in a fairly wet Snuggies overnight plain white.
The scanner definitely picked up the large mass of wetness on and around my butt, So all I did was quietly informed the TSA dude that I was in a diaper. He nodded and said ok, patted me down around that area fairly carefully without actually patting too much on my diaper and then said they had to do a residue test on my hands. All clear from that he sent me on my way :3
Not sure I'll do it again but you never know ^.^

I've worn an Abena M4 on a long haul (13 hour) flight and the return. Id recommend a bodystocking to hold things in place.

I didn't have to change, but I don't tend to wet loads anyway and know a premium diaper can last me 12 hours.

Id recommend changing just before boarding the flight so you have maximum capacity available. If you do have to change in the toilet it's not the end of the world.

puppyz said:
Last trip from Brisbane to LAX I padded up just after dinner (about 2 hours into the flight) and stayed that way till I got to the Admirals Lounge in LAX....
Was going to take it off in the public toilets before going through TSA but for whatever reason I ended up going through TSA still in a fairly wet Snuggies overnight plain white.
The scanner definitely picked up the large mass of wetness on and around my butt, So all I did was quietly informed the TSA dude that I was in a diaper. He nodded and said ok, patted me down around that area fairly carefully without actually patting too much on my diaper and then said they had to do a residue test on my hands. All clear from that he sent me on my way :3
Not sure I'll do it again but you never know ^.^
Pretty much identical scenario for me at Burbank, CA, except I was dry going through the scanner. The TSA agent asked me if I had something in my pocket, I said no, but had to admit I was wearing a diaper as well. He asked me if I wanted a private screening and since I was running late, I said no as long as they didn't have to lift up my shirt.

Closest call I've ever had.

I'm never going on a flight if I don't have to. I'll take a ship if needed to cross the ocean. I hate the security crap. Its BS.

MickeyM said:
I'm never going on a flight if I don't have to. I'll take a ship if needed to cross the ocean. I hate the security crap. Its BS.

No, it isn't. You can make a reasonable argument that they take it too far, but Lockerbie should have disabused anyone of the notion that security isn't necessary. To say nothing of 9/11, and of course, the recent Metrojet Flight 9628.

Besides, going by ship won't spare you security. Ocean liners and cruise liners actually have even tighter security, since they have more time to screen luggage and people than airlines do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back