Is there such a thing as an emotional need for diapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LittlePony said:
I totally agree with you, diapers really are like a big soft hug. The best way for me to describe diapers way of comforting a person is that they are like the Thunder Jacket for dogs that's on the market that helps comfort a scared dog during a thunderstorm. Gentle pressure is very therapeutic.

Yes, very therapeutic. It's similar to when I'm cuddling my teddy bear.

gnd567 said:
Yes, very therapeutic. It's similar to when I'm cuddling my teddy bear.

Same for me, my stuffed animal is comforting to sleep with because of the gentle pressure against my chest and face. I forgot to mention that too.

i not sexually attracted to diapers at all for me its all about relaxation and emotionally being comfortable.

Sure there is in a sense to speak. If being in a diaper is something that you find calms you that would be a form of coping strategy. Doesn't matter what causes that whether it being that it is a diaper or just liking to have something padded on you. Diapers do calm me a bit, but since I'm IC and have had to wear 24/7 for the past couple of years that effect has become baseline for me.

Yes when I wear my diaper it like takes my stress away and I feel so much more relaxed. I think there is a large emotional side to wearing them.

gnd567 said:
They just make me worry less for some reason. I feel more in control

Totally agree. I can sleep on an airplane better knowing I am in control of having any accidents (though I only came close once but it was enough for me to want to put myself back into full protection while air travelling). I may still ease some discomfort after a multi-hour trip of having to go while being in protection but I do so by choice and once again lets me feel in control at being able to "let go". Wearing training underwear and plastic underpants at night to bed puts me in a very relaxed state.

gnd567 said:
So, does any of this make sense? Is there such a thing as a sort of "emotional" need for diapers? I feel anxious again and just like a lost little boy. I don't know. Then I feel stupid about the whole thing.

Can anyone else relate? I just feel so stupid about this sometimes.

Firstly, yes. This seems make perfect sense to most of the people replying to your post, and I'd count myself among them. From an analytical standpoint, the brain does some very strange things in response to strong emotion, the foremost of which seem to me to be desire (reacting to a positive experience) or disgust (reacting to a negative one). It stands to reason that if you have enjoyed wearing in the past, you would develop the desire to repeat the experience (just my views and experience on things).

Secondly, Yes. There is "such a thing as a sort of "emotional" need for diapers?". It's called a dependence, and just about everyone has some of them to some extent, whether it's needing to tie your shoelaces a certain way, or just needing the feeling of a hug from a close friend or family member (not too trustworthy Wikipedia article, mainly focussed around drugs and pretty much irrelevant here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_dependence... Yeah, probably best if you don't take Wikipedia as the ultimate in scientific sources of information :laugh: ). Essentially it boils down to this: reinforcing stimuli (stimuli that increase the probability of repeating behaviours paired with them) increase the desire to want to repeat an action that creates the stimuli again. This happens until the brain becomes "wired" to needing the stimuli. It's often linked to substance addiction or to obsessive behaviours, however, since diapers aren't an addictive or psychologically damaging substance, you don't need to worry. In short, you can't really control what your subconscious wants, and as many people have pointed out, the diapers provide a therapeutic emotional response, and it's perfectly normal (at least for all of us) to need that. To quote the artist Bobby McFerrin, "Don't worry, be happy.".

Thirdly, yes. I can relate to your situation and to how you feel, but there's really no need to feel stupid, or anxious about it. Often it can even do you some good to be without them for a while, making the experience when you do eventually get them far more enjoyable and emotionally rewarding.

These are my views at least, I hope they help :thumbsup: . Otherwise, just ignore them... After all I'm no expert.
:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back