Self-Acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying childish things is easy once you develope your ability to divert attention. The clerk and other customers truly don't care about what you're buying yet I know you feel they think they do. Say something like my niece/ nephew is gonna love this! The deception is more for your own mental wellbeing just be prepared for random questions like what's their name, how old are they blah blah blah. I buy baby dipes late at night for stuffers so I don't run into anyone I know. If I get any sort of unnecessary interaction with anyone... " my girlfriend sucks at shopping and I get the midnight diaper runs when they don't get bought" I'm definitely going to see zootopia at it's latest showing with no kids soon and I'll be thickly diapered. Again any unnecessary interaction with register jockys " my niece is nuts about this movie so I have to come watch it so we can talk about it" just do everything you can to relax and act casual, in time it gets easier.

Hi I am going to tell you what happen to me yesterday when I misbehaved myself in McDonald's hopefully this will give you some confidence when being little out in public.

My housemate has got a new friend who is going for a bit of an identity crisis at the moment as he is 17. He doesn't know whether he's a child or an adult he said that he does not really won't to grow up. His face was a picher when I said if you don't won't to be a grow up then you do have to.

Then the hold little thing come out question a plenty. He was really interested in my lifestyle choice the only thing we didn't talk about was diaper wearing. But every thing else from seeing the world as a child and haveing naps in the day to pacifiers. And why I choose not to do some things.

Any way, we when for a Happy Meal and while we were waiting for our meals. I look at him and said in a loud voice "I can see right up your noise." He just said that's nice. I Misbehaved myself in other way like jumping up and down at the counter. And asking. "Is it ready jet." Yes everyone did look at me. And this is my point although Evey one look at me no one did anything. I tryed my best to get told off. But no one said anything to me.

And nuthing is going to happen to you when you go shopping.

By the way I got a cool watch in my Happy Meal.

Hope this helps you to go for it.

Sisi

ElizabethGold said:
So I'm going to my area's big mall on Friday or Saturday and I desperately want to stop at the toy store in there. It's huge and it's awesome(though I forget the name of it but I digress). The problem is that every time I go to shop for a toy I feel extremely self conscious and feel like everyone's eyes are on me, even if they're not...

I used to feel that way, I'm not a real people person and I have a touch of agoraphobia, sometimes it's hard to even go into a Walmart but as far as the buying children's stuff is concerned I have learned that especially as a girl no one is going to think twice about it. If you had a baby or a child they couldn't buy the things for themselves so a grown-up has to buy it for them. How often do you see a child at the register paying for their dolls?

My favorite part of shopping is the toy aisle. I mostly go for the toys that I grew up with, ie. care bears, original my little pony, teddy ruxpin you know the eighties stuff but just yesterday when I was out getting stuff for the hubby's Easter basket I bought myself a new set of footed pjs with penguins on it, a minnie mouse dining set and a disney princess glitter hairbrush.

I can tell you by the bored look on the clerks face that she couldn't care less what I was buying. I'm sure she was thinking more about what she wanted to do outside of work. :eek:

Good luck! I'm sure you've gone by now, I hope you went and I hope it was fun and you got yourself something awesome.

What helps with self-acceptance, is "being emotionally kind to oneself".
Sometimes this is difficult, even for me.
But, I do it to chase bad thoughts and feelings away.

I've worked as a cashier in a grocery store for a while and people's purchases don't really nab my eyes. Except this one time somebody bought dozens upon dozens of cake or brownie mix. Some wacky instances like that, I remember. So when the time came that I bought baby powder and a bottle, I didn't worry about being noticed.

I can relate to your anxiety about going into stores and thinking you are being singled out or watched. I bought my first plastic pants in my teen years and felt that way also. Over the years I found I was my own worst enemy. No one cared what I was buying. I could have been shopping for a nephew or niece for all they knew.

The feelings did resurface a few years ago when I had my little side wake up again. Buying adult diapers for the first time in many years was the same as my teen year experience. I realized this when I got home from that shopping trip. I have since accepted I am who I am. It does not bother me anymore. Besides, I could be shopping for my granddaughter or grandson if I am in a toy store, which I have done.

The advice given earlier in this post of appearing your chronological age but shopping for your little age, is good advice. If you do not draw attention to yourself, no one will care.

The nervousness and anxiety will pass in time if you let it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back