What to wear, what to wear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I did some work on the cabinet in my bedroom...

With the door closed. "Whatcha got in the cabinet?" "oh nothing...." "So why's it locked?"

attachment.php

"Actually that's where I keep my underwear..."

attachment.php

I labeled them all, sorry adisc squinted my text, you can probably still read it if you try:

attachment.php

I have a fairly large variety of different kinds of diapers onhand, and the cabinet was getting kinda crowded with vertical stacks so I decided to go entirely sideways to fit more in and be easier to access. I added two more shelves and moved two more. Here's a few shots I took of the end result. This is a 28" wide, 5' high, 14" deep cheap (MDF) cabinet I got at the hardware store and added a lock on top.

Down the left:

CushiesV2
SDKv2
Cushies (clothlike)
CrinklzV2

Tena Slip Basic
Tena Slip Maxi Cloth Wing
Breeyo

Bambino Teddy
Tena Slip Maxi Plastic
Little Pawz

Aben Xplus-4
CrinklzV2

(misc)
Fabine
Belissimo
AwwSoCute

Down the right:

Superio
Waddler Overnights
Tighty Whities

Confidry (medium)
DCA Idyl

ABU Space
ABU Simple

DCA Kittens
Confidry (large)

Thats quite the collection there, I wish that I had that many diapers in stock that in something like that.

Aww I'm so jealous now, I wish I had a diaper stash like that.

That's a great stash! Something that would be awesome to have in the future.

I actually have quite a few diapers onhand. (too many maybe...) This cabinet is just down in my bedroom for immediate diapering. There's about a dozen open bags of "refills" in the closet, for diapers that I use frequently. I redesigned the cabinet so I'd have at least a couple of every type of diaper I have available, and to help me "work through" some of the diapers I don't plan on reordering. Diapers on the 2nd and third shelfs down I don't plan on reordering, so those are very casual use, I'm not worried about "wasting" them. Diaper on the two lower shelves I have a lot more of onhand, and will probably keep "in stock". My "main stock" is upstairs and almost fills a walk-in closet. Mabye a dozen mixed cases. (I try anything new that looks promising, and always bite on sales for diapers I like!) I'll bring down a few bags every week usually to keep the cabinet and closet conveniently stocked.

But it's all open to change. The previous layout had 2 less (taller) shelves, with diapers stacked vertically. This made it tricky to get at diapers behind other diapers, hard to see what all was available, and didn't let me easily have "one of everything" in the cabinet. Considering how well I like the sdk2's, I'll probably be reordering those

I added the two shelves by going to the hardware store and finding blank shelves over in the "assembled shelving" area. They're sold in generic lengths and widths and come in a variety of wood colors, and are laminated on all sides. So you have to measure your cabinet width and cut to length. (and possibly depth, but my cab was 14" deep and these were 12" shelves, so only one cut was needed) Rather than try to put holes in the inside for more shelf pins (which is very hard to get right), I just propped them up in place where they needed to go (after adjusting the other two shelves on their pins) and drilled pilot holes and dropped in 4 wood screws from the outside. Cutting was pretty easy, just measure cab width and used a skillsaw. Tricky part is getting the holes drilled, you need to be as close to exact as you can, you don't want to miss the shelf or arrive too close to the top or bottom. I used powerful magnets inside and outside so I could figure out exactly where the shelf was from the outside before drilling. You NEED to drill pilot holes in MDF before tapping in a wood screw or you'll crack the shelving when you drive in the screw. Of course since these shelves are screwed in place (non adjustable) you have to plan out where you need everything or what you'll still be able to adjust if needed down the road before doing it. You'll notice that bottom shelf is a bit tight on height ;) Not quite what I intended. The shelf above really needed to be another 1/2 inch up. :p

Impressive bug I could never do that. I take an economy pack from the store and I'm done. Plus, I'm not good at descision making

Where did you get that cabinet? Did you make all of it? Looking around on some on craigslist and there's a decent amount of things that could possibly work like this. Though I'm not in the position for this now it's definitely something I would possibly look into once I don't have a roommate.

Very impressive handy skills, it looks great.

This is similar to it, the middle shelf is fixed but the other two can be adjusted a bit for height. they're quite cheap, $54:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Storage-Cabinet-Alder/17480001
k2-_a457eea6-4c98-43a9-8123-9210d69c5be7.v1.jpg

Get a couple of these spare shelves and cut to length, $7 each
https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...428193034-c-5702.htm?tid=-6408329356552783582
211-5601-5631_P_CinnCherry.jpg

You'll need a 8 wood screws (1 5/8") and a drill to make the pilot holes to mount the two extra shelves. The drill with a wider wood bit to cut a hole in the top to mount the lock into.

The lock will require getting a bit of metal and bending it into a "Z" shapen and attaching it on the upper corner of one door, and attaching a sliding latch on the other door so the one door holds the other.

Cabinet lock, $10
https://www.menards.com/main/doors-...t-lock-with-2-cams/p-1444451498968-c-7595.htm
049793099457.jpg

Bolt latch, $6
http://www.walmart.com/ip/National-Mfg.-N151654-Steel-Door-Barrel-Bolt-4-ZN-BARREL-BOLT/43986470
k2-_eac8608c-d37b-4c5c-afef-5723ccfee78b.v1.jpg

See my gallery for pics on setting up the lock and latch
https://www.adisc.org/forum/album.php?albumid=1472

I'm nobody's idea of a woodworker or construction-type person, but I was able to handle this. It's pretty basic stuff. It's also a cheap yet rewarding project, and gives you some useful experience. If you can afford enough diapers to need a cabinet to put them in, well, this costs less than the average case of diapers to build.

It's NOT a "security" cabinet, and would be pretty trivial to muscle into. The primary reason I put the lock on it was I get friends over from time to time that have their 6-7 yr olds tagging with them, and at that age, kids get into everything. That lock there is just enough to say "off limits", and enforce it well enough to deter the lil snoops. I want to know that I can have company over with snoopy kids without worrying about them wandering into my bedroom while we chat or watch some TV in the living room. It might be effective on snoopy parents too, but that would depend a lot on your parents.

Oh and here's another nicer cabinet for about the same price, $54, but it may be smaller:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Storage-Cabinet-Multiple-Finishes/20666621
k2-_26f0402a-0c60-41a2-a864-13296870c022.v3.jpg k2-_c4457515-3a21-4935-acf8-19ba8df75117.v1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice collection!
What is you favorite for day time and night time?

LittleICme said:
What is you favorite for day time and night time?

Well as you might imagine, I like to mix it up a bit and keep it fresh. If I had to pick just one for overnight and just one for daytime (which includes at work) I'd go with ABU Little Paws for overnight and Snuggies original Waddlers for daytime. But I don't know if the regular waddlers are coming back, and there really isn't anything else like them available right now. (they have all the features of the best premiums, but with much thinner padding, perfect for wearing to work)

So if you know of something like that, I'd love to hear about it. FYI, the waddler overnights / tighty whities are a bit too thick and get me sweating by quitting time, so I need something thinner than that. I'm also insisting on plastic shell, good leak guards (for skin separation) and front+rear elastic.

(my alternate picks for overnight are the other varities on the ABU space, as well as the dc amores and the confidrys)

bambinod said:
So I did some work on the cabinet in my bedroom...

With the door closed. "Whatcha got in the cabinet?" "oh nothing...." "So why's it locked?"

attachment.php

"Actually that's where I keep my underwear..."

attachment.php

I labeled them all, sorry adisc squinted my text, you can probably still read it if you try:

attachment.php

I have a fairly large variety of different kinds of diapers onhand, and the cabinet was getting kinda crowded with vertical stacks so I decided to go entirely sideways to fit more in and be easier to access. I added two more shelves and moved two more. Here's a few shots I took of the end result. This is a 28" wide, 5' high, 14" deep cheap (MDF) cabinet I got at the hardware store and added a lock on top.

Down the left:

CushiesV2
SDKv2
Cushies (clothlike)
CrinklzV2

Tena Slip Basic
Tena Slip Maxi Cloth Wing
Breeyo

Bambino Teddy
Tena Slip Maxi Plastic
Little Pawz

Aben Xplus-4
CrinklzV2

(misc)
Fabine
Belissimo
AwwSoCute

Down the right:

Superio
Waddler Overnights
Tighty Whities

Confidry (medium)
DCA Idyl

ABU Space
ABU Simple

DCA Kittens
Confidry (large)

Wow that's organised.

I'm just so jealous that you can get such a variety of nappies. I would love to be able,to get cushies and SDKs etc. I'm stuck with store branded, Molicare, tena, my new favourite Softi's or factory specials.
I could order the diapers that you have but they will cost an arm and a leg and then other arm and a leg as well.

Very nice, you deferentially don't have to worry about a good selection.

ST50 said:
Wow that's organised.

it has to be! I was having problems finding what I was looking for. Most irritating: I have some confidry medium AND large on-hand. They are photo identical except for the length of the wings and unpadded areas on the ends, which you only see when unfolded. Also, end-on it's hard to tell one one white diaper from another.

- - - Updated - - -

Dlbychoice said:
I'm just so jealous that you can get such a variety of nappies. I would love to be able,to get cushies and SDKs etc. I'm stuck with store branded, Molicare, tena, my new favourite Softi's or factory specials.
I could order the diapers that you have but they will cost an arm and a leg and then other arm and a leg as well.

Keep in mind though, I've been at this for awhile. Look on the bottom left, the last two of my blue AwwSoCute, a few belissimo, an all-white fabine, etc. Revision 1 crinklz near the top. Some diapers in there aren't available anymore, and some I've had for quite some time. I didn't get that variety overnight or even over month, it's been years in the making. Though a lot of them are newer. That's also part of the deal - I like to try new releases that look promising, especially if it's something I'd like to support and see more of. (like the crinklz and lil paws) So what's happened is my stash has just grown steadily over time. I have cases of diapers upstairs in the guest walk-in closet. Part of the reason for this project was to get the diapers I don't intend on reordering ALL out and easily available, to encourage me to go through those for casual wear instead of using more recent arrivals and diapers that I will be reordering - I'm doing this to reduce my inventory. Rcently I've given away diapers I wasn't going to use (almost all of my mediums) so at least I don't haee anything onhand I'm never going to use.

It's also nice to have a big variety to choose from. I don't intend to ever let this get boring. (wouldn't that just make for an insane purge?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back