View Poll Results: If your child was a bedwetter, would you automatically get them diapers

157. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

74 47.13%
  • No

18 11.46%
  • If they asked

45 28.66%
  • Other

20 12.74%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Had a Kid

Default If You Had a Kid

Alright, so I was just wondering. If you had a kid who wet the bed, would you diaper him? Not really like, powder and baby oil, but give them GoodNites/Pull-Ups or something. I thought about this in the thread that Raccoon made.

I am not sure if I would, as I said before. If the kid specifically asks for them, of course I would give them to him. But if not, I am just not sure. I don't know what it will do for his self esteem and all of that. I mean, GoodNites always has those commercials where the kids say that it helps them but if my kid was like "I don't want to wear them" I would never make him even if I had to wash his bedding every night.

What do to you think?

I could write a message quite long about this.
    But to keep it short;
    I would, except he/she could make his/her choice.
    and I wouldn't be part of it. If he/she did want to I would just be sure he/she didn't run out until he/she didn't wet the bed.

This is one of those things where there are too many variables to say for sure (personality, age, frequency, etc.) However, my default position would be that this is just another thing in life that needs to be dealt with. If you're bleeding, you get a bandage. If you have a different kind of frequent leak, you deal with that. I'm not fussed about the cleanup as much as I'd want to teach my child how to deal with problems. In this case, the age-appropriate diaper (although I sure wouldn't call it that) is the reasonable way to deal with the theoretically frequent and persistent problem.

I don't want a kid in diapers, but if he or she needed them, that would be my parental nudge. If there was resistance, it might take some days of gentle persuasion, and I wouldn't mind waiting. My job would be to make the child see this the right way and to be very glad when the wetting period passed. If it wasn't an ongoing problem, I'd just be of the opinion that "accidents happen", clean things up and move on.

Edit: mattress protection would be non-negotiable as far as I'm concerned. It wouldn't have to be a whole rubber/vinyl sheet; they make discreet pads that could go beneath the mattress pad. I think I'd have one of those for the kid before wetting ever came up. Easy to do laundry, but a mattress is pricey! If it was somehow an issue, I'd get one for every bed in the house.
    Last edited by Trevor; 27-Feb-2009 at 23:03. Reason: added a bit more

Like Trevor said, it depends on age, frequency, and other variables. The urine would ruin the mattress, but it would be up to the child if they wanted mattress protection, but diapers would definitely be a must.

Default No one answer is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    This is one of those things where there are too many variables to say for sure (personality, age, frequency, etc.) However, my default position would be that this is just another thing in life that needs to be dealt with.

There are multiple methods to deal with enuresis. The tendency of us to focus on the most drastic option (diapers) is not an appropriate response. Behavior modification, BW alarms, fluid restrictions before bed, and mattress protection should be a parent's first choice unless frequency dictate otherwise. Diapers may be mentioned in a neutral manner at the beginning of discussions on ways to handle it, but should not be the primary focus. Get the child involved in deciding how to handle the issue. This ensures that the solution will be most pleasant to the child. The primary goal is to care for the physical and emotional needs of the child, not get them back into diapers.

I would not at first but if the bedwetting was constant and showed no signs of stoping then I would suggest Gootnites/Pull-ups/Underjams to my kid and explain why I think it would be a good idea and then if they say they want to try then I let them try. It's possible that I might force him for one night and just say "just try this for one night and if it doesn't work you don't have to were them again." Yes that's forcing it alittle bit but sometimes you have to be forced to do something to relise the benifets.

those bedwetting alarms are supposed to be successful in most cases. if they didn't work i would think most kids over the age of 6 or 7 would prefer to change their bedding regularly rather than wear diapers, and the problem would probably stop sooner if they had to get up and deal with a wet bed as soon as it happened.

i probably wouldn't suggest goodnites, but if the kid expressed an interest in trying them i'd allow them to make that decision for themselves. wearing protection would allow the kid to get a decent night's sleep without worrying about the bedwetting problem, which sounds like a good thing in some ways but isn't such a good thing if you both really want the bedwetting to stop as soon as possible.

As has been said before, I would focus on finding solutions that would work for the long run (such as alarms, limiting fluids, etc.) but I think that providing a way for a child to be able to sleep through the night without having to worry about the mess and stress that comes with wet sheets in the morning would make me want to provide something like Goodnites/Pull-Ups.

Not that I would force my child to wear Goodnites, but if they had the desire too and expressed their need to wear them. It wouldn't be about the easy way out, but the best solution for the situation.

If I had a kid and they asked for diapers, I would of course get them some. Of course, if this became a constant issue, I'd take them to the doctor.

It depends on a case by case basis really. Like do they wet a lot or a little? Are they capable of washing their clothes etc.

Either way I wouldn't want to force them to wear diapers nor would I encourage them to like diapers. However there is a point where diapers could almost be necessary, wif you like them or not as sad as that is.