cloth diaper striping with out useing bleach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABDL4ever

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
So recently found some cloth diapers to use not enough to go without disposables but enough to alternate between them. My question is are there tecniqes of striping cloth diapers without useing bleach? I only ask beacuse I am alergic to bleach, it gives me a severe rash and as you all know the less rashes down there the better.

Any ways to strip without useing bleach will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank You.

ABDL4ever said:
So recently found some cloth diapers to use not enough to go without disposables but enough to alternate between them. My question is are there tecniqes of striping cloth diapers without useing bleach? I only ask beacuse I am alergic to bleach, it gives me a severe rash and as you all know the less rashes down there the better.

Any ways to strip without useing bleach will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank You.

You shouldn't use bleach on diapers because they will deteriorate the fabric the first time you use it. I found this out the hard way. Instead, wash them in white, clear vinegar.

Ol Man had suggest washing cloth diapers in Arm & Hammer with Oxi clean, something I tried and am very happy with it. They have that "baby nursery" smell to them.

Stripping diapers is something very different. In that, you keep washing your cloth diapers in just plain water. Sometimes it takes a number of times, but one is supposed to do this until there is no trace of soap residue in the water. What you're doing is rinsing out the small amount of detergent that remains in the fabric from washing them in the washing machine. I've actually never done that, but I read about it on the net, a mother's site dealing with cloth baby diapers.

dogboy said:
You shouldn't use bleach on diapers because they will deteriorate the fabric the first time you use it. I found this out the hard way. Instead, wash them in white, clear vinegar.

Ol Man had suggest washing cloth diapers in Arm & Hammer with Oxi clean, something I tried and am very happy with it. They have that "baby nursery" smell to them.

Stripping diapers is something very different. In that, you keep washing your cloth diapers in just plain water. Sometimes it takes a number of times, but one is supposed to do this until there is no trace of soap residue in the water. What you're doing is rinsing out the small amount of detergent that remains in the fabric from washing them in the washing machine. I've actually never done that, but I read about it on the net, a mother's site dealing with cloth baby diapers.

Thank you this has been very helpful I will try the white clear vinigar to help get rid of the smell that can get traped in the diapers or so I've been told.

I already use arm and hammer but i did'nt know that they made one with oxi cleen I will have to look for it next time I'am out.

Thank You verry much.

Oh, you're more than welcome. I hope this works for you.

don't use that brown (apple?) vinegar. Nasty stuff!

I use OxoBrite. It's similar to OxiClean but it doesn't have the additional fragrances, which irritate my skin.

Distilled white vinegar (NEVER apple cider vinegar) can also be used, though I've never needed it.

Never underestimate the power of a double cold rinse after every wash. I bought a washing machine that conveniently has a double rinse option because it works so well for keeping cloth diapers smelling fresh.

ABDL4ever said:
My question is are there tecniqes of striping cloth diapers without useing bleach?

Definitely avoid bleach as much as possible. Some diaper makers will say that you can occasionally use a small amount of diluted bleach to deal with stains, but I've always found it slightly funny that anybody would care about the appearance of stains in the crotch area of a cloth diaper. And if you're not soiling your diapers or using off-white creams and such, then you're unlikely to have much/any staining to deal with.

dogboy said:

Yeah, I haven't found myself needing to "strip" my diapers this way either. I don't think stripping needs to be some regular thing. You really only need to do it if you find your diapers losing absorbency or smelling of old urine even after they've been washed. We had our kids in cloth diapers for a while, and I don't think we stripped them--ever. Pre-soaking probably helps a lot (e.g. a wet pail), as does finding the right amount of detergent. For wet-only diapers, especially prefolds and flats which are more easily penetrated by water and detergent, you really don't need to use a lot of detergent. And if you have hard water, you'll want to use even less detergent, as it will be especially prone to building up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back