Home from the hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
Just home from spending about 5 days in a hospital psych unit. Dont want to go into the reason why though. I wear 24/7 and have incontinence issues so when I ended up in the emergency I was diapered and I explained why.

When I got to the unit no questions asked and they told me diapers were available and provided one for me. They were the cheap ones but at least they had something and provided them for me. I changed myself but when I needed one I had to go to the desk and ask for one and then walk with it back to my room to change. It was pretty embarrassing as the entire staff and most of the patients knew because they saw me carrying it in the hall and they couldn't be concealed under the hospital scrubs that I had to wear.

I was quite surprised that there were no endless questions about my incontinence and that they had diapers readily available on the unit.

Firstly, I hope you're OK. As to the unit, their priority is to provide a certain type of care, and if looking after your well being is providing you with diapers, then I guess that's what they'll do. I presume their focus is less on your incontinence and far more on your emotional/psychological needs. I bet you're grateful for their lack of enquiry, but I agree, that they could have assisted with your privacy a little better.

Yeah, they should't have made you walk back with the diaper in plain sight. Should've been more private.

Having to walk up and ask for a diaper reminds me of the movie, "Catch 22" with nurse Ratchet. I'm sorry you had to stay 5 days, but better safe than sorry, I'm sure.

I am feeling much better and had an appointment with my therapist this morning. Everything will improve but it will take some time. I wasn't really too worried about everyone knowing that I wear diapers.

I'm surprised the hospital staff didn't offer to change you. Been diapered in the hospital many times, and hospital staff always do the changing.

I am feeling much better and had an appointment with my therapist this morning. Everything will improve but it will take some time. I wasn't really too worried about everyone knowing that I wear diapers.

CPDude said:
I'm surprised the hospital staff didn't offer to change you. Been diapered in the hospital many times, and hospital staff always do the changing.
They'll usually ask, but often if it's clear that you are typically unable (or otherwise unable, due to precipitating incident that lead to admission) they will perform the changing for you. Don't get too excited, their procedure is designed and trained to impart the utmost dignity and respect for the patient. To that end, there is no lifting your legs at the ankles or gentle wiping like you would expect ala typical baby diaper changing. It's more of the roll/turn per the instructions on most store-brand or medical diapers.
Diapers are stocked in all hospitals, however, are not often used on non-geriatric patients. Usually, ambulatory patients are expected to care for their own eliminations by using the urinals/bedpans, or else you get cath'd. Protip: YOU DON'T WANNA GET CATH'D. Not fun.

diaperkevin said:

Permanent solutions to temporary problems, my man. I been there, I know how it goes. I'm lucky I never had to go through what you just did, but, all the same, you have my sym/empathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back