Guns N' Roses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanch

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
One of the biggest hard rock bands of all time are reuniting for Coachella in April, and it's the first time Duff McKagan and Slash will have played with Axl Rose in over 22 years. It's about the most hotly anticipated original line-up* (*or at least part of one!) which has reformed in years. So...

Are you guys fans of the original G N' R?

Do you think the comeback will be a legendary return or just a dull cash-making exercise?

And do you reckon that one of the most volatile rock 'n' roll bands of all time can really play alongside each other without another bitter split happening?

Personally, I think they recorded a handful of truly brilliant tracks and were a technically gifted band, but there were also some dire and self-indulgent songs on every record after Appetite for Destruction.

I reckon it'll be interesting to see the original members reuninted after all the water under the bridge, but would be very surprised if they were to stay together for more than just a few lucrative concerts.

Huh. I was really into them when I was at school. I saw them in Wembley around 1991 with Faith No More and at Milton Keynes a few years later with Blind Melon and... some other cool band. I was 3 people from the front of the crowd; a weedy 14-year-old crammed in with giant leather-clad tattooed men with beards. And then everyone started pogoing and through sheer involuntary friction, I was bounced up-and-down for at least an hour. And every time my feet hit the wet, slippery mud bath, I had to propel myself upwards with all my might to avoid being sucked down and trampled. But it was still an amazing concert!

They really had a sound like no other. Looking back all these years later, I still recognise the brilliance and originality in some of their tracks, even though there is a distinct element of juvenile self-indulgent crap in some of them.

Personally, I've moved on from that style of music, but Guns N' Roses had a massive influence on my musical tastes, and I'd be very interested to see them again. I'd probably rather have a DVD than a cesspool of mud and pogo-ing rockers, though. :eek:ldguy:

I think if it actually happens it's gonna be an absolute shitshow, followed by a riot. Even if everything goes great, neither Axl nor Slash are really at their prime, and much of their newer stuff has been terrible imo.

I'd say not particularily excited and I'm honestly surprised they even got a venue.

My son played a lot of them so I got to hear it drifting up from his bedroom. I liked the band and they had some really good songs. I've noticed as musicians age, their voices often go, especially if they were screaming out a lot of high pitches. There are some amazing exceptions to this, but not many. Billy Joel can still sing like he was 30 years younger. Elton John's new album has him singing a lot lower. Paul McCartney has trouble with his upper range as does Paul Simon, and these are guys who didn't do a lot of the high pitch, controlled scream. Hall and Oates absolutely suck. He sings flat.

I actually saw GnR 24 years ago! They really put on a rocking show as I recall. No mud where I was. ;) My only objection was I felt a little too old to be rocking with the very high youngsters. I will never go to a hard rock concert again. The bathroom was deplorable as guys were urinating everywhere. Nope. No more!

I have a few cd of them. I like the groop

Sanch said:
Are you guys fans of the original G N' R?
I'm not a huge fan of the original Guns 'N' Roses, but I like them. They have some really good songs.

Sanch said:
Do you think the comeback will be a legendary return or just a dull cash-making exercise?
Dull Cash-Making Exercise.

Sanch said:
And do you reckon that one of the most volatile rock 'n' roll bands of all time can really play alongside each other without another bitter split happening?
I'm predicting another bitter split. But considering how there's not much Rock out there anyways, might as well have them together briefly before said bitter split happens.

Haha lol I've been listening to them all afternoon today :) go figure. Actually, like most late get togethers, a lot of fans will get excited, but precious tempers, age, intolerance and performance anxiety will probably result in a short lived comeback....who knows.

tiny said:
Huh. I was really into them when I was at school. I saw them in Wembley around 1991 with Faith No More and at Milton Keynes a few years later with Blind Melon and... some other cool band. I was 3 people from the front of the crowd; a weedy 14-year-old crammed in with giant leather-clad tattooed men with beards. And then everyone started pogoing and through sheer involuntary friction, I was bounced up-and-down for at least an hour. And every time my feet hit the wet, slippery mud bath, I had to propel myself upwards with all my might to avoid being sucked down and trampled. But it was still an amazing concert!

Even though I've never seen G N' R live, that concert description brought back some vivid memories. I've been a skinny teenager getting knocked about in a few muddy and sticky venues (The Pixies was a notable one), though weirdly I've only ever been injured going to see The Waterboys, when a very drunk man accidentally elbowed me in the face whilst repeatedly spinning round with his arms outstretched. :laugh:

I like a bit of the music, though I'm certainly not inclined to go see them play live. They were one of the late 80's mega-bands, and those bands tended to have egos and attitudes fueled by drugs and alcohol with rare exception. I see this reunion concert as nothing more than a way to capitalize on the fact that most of their original fans now have the money to afford expensive massive concerts to try and feel a return to their youth.

Personally, I like a lot more of the modern rock bands who play smaller venues. The playing field has leveled out quite a bit with the internet and satellite radio compared to the 80's when your exposure to a lot of new music was limited to what the local DJ's played on FM radio.

I´ve something of that, but I remember mention somwhere Axel Rose is (AB?) DL. Read somwhere he ordered black (red if black coloured diapers) into his hotel room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back