MatalicPebble

Lily Fathom
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
I made this yesterday and for the most part it feels right and the leak guards that I sewn in work great. However the fabric does not soak up the wetting. I think its because I have not ran the soaker pad through the washing machine. It is my first one so I actually am really impressed with how well it turned out. I just would like some opinions on what I could do to improve the padding's ability to soak up a wetting.
The problem is not in the amount of fabric but rather that the liquid just rolls around on the fabric and wont soak in all the way.
12743657_10204287064376766_4705073342114994169_n.jpg...12741974_10204287064216762_5490277690424853246_n.jpg

Well I don't have an opinion on how to fix the soaking issue. :/ but I did want to stop by and say they look great! And awesome job!
:)

I would say that you are not using the right fabrics if it is just rolling around and not getting absorbed. There are only a few fabrics that actually work for that so I am guessing that is the issue. Also is the diaper made from PUL?

mine is pul line with a cotton outer shell.. im going to make some cotton fleece pullups to wear under it for night. thinking i can just change the soaker if i get to wet and night

MatalicPebble said:
I made this yesterday and for the most part it feels right and the leak guards that I sewn in work great. However the fabric does not soak up the wetting. I think its because I have not ran the soaker pad through the washing machine. It is my first one so I actually am really impressed with how well it turned out. I just would like some opinions on what I could do to improve the padding's ability to soak up a wetting.
The problem is not in the amount of fabric but rather that the liquid just rolls around on the fabric and wont soak in all the way.

First off, it looks great!! There is a group for cloth diaper makers, by the way.

Out of curiosity, what fabrics did you use--for the lining as well as the soaker? Cotton will certainly not absorb well until it's been washed a few times. Most makers of cloth diapers recommend between three and five "prep" washes, both to remove urine-repelling oils as well as to get all of the shrinkage out of the way. And you probably know that fabric softeners reduce absorbency, too. I periodically apply plant-based fabric softener to my prefolds, but I'm happy trading some absorbency for softness, and it washes out pretty quickly.

Cottontail said:
First off, it looks great!! There is a group for cloth diaper makers, by the way.

Out of curiosity, what fabrics did you use--for the lining as well as the soaker? Cotton will certainly not absorb well until it's been washed a few times. Most makers of cloth diapers recommend between three and five "prep" washes, both to remove urine-repelling oils as well as to get all of the shrinkage out of the way. And you probably know that fabric softeners reduce absorbency, too. I periodically apply plant-based fabric softener to my prefolds, but I'm happy trading some absorbency for softness, and it washes out pretty quickly.

I used cotton flannel for the soaker. I used a shower curtain for the leak proof layer because I did not know how well this would work. I see what I done wrong. For the most part I expected this to be trial an error. I really did not expect it to come out this good. With that said I see now that I absolutely have to wash the fabric several times before sewing things together. Also thanks for telling me about the group. I will put in the request to join.

MatalicPebble said:
I used cotton flannel for the soaker. I used a shower curtain for the leak proof layer because I did not know how well this would work. I see what I done wrong. For the most part I expected this to be trial an error. I really did not expect it to come out this good. With that said I see now that I absolutely have to wash the fabric several times before sewing things together. Also thanks for telling me about the group. I will put in the request to join.

Nah, I think you're right to sew things up before washing. Flannel may keep its shape a bit better than some other fabrics, I don't know. But many diaper fabrics, like gauze- and twill-weave cottons, will shrivel up in all sorts of odd ways when washed, and will get quite a bit thicker. Both of those things really complicate sewing. Bear in mind, though, that my own diaper-making experience is limited to hand-sewing old baby prefolds together. Kif or one of the other AIO makers would have far better advice than I!

I don't know about the shower curtain thing. That's a diverse group of fabrics, so I would imagine that some would work fine as diaper covers and some would not. If you end up addicted to sewing your own diapers, there are a few well-regarded companies that specialize in diaper fabrics for DIY-ers, like Very Baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back