History of abdls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gcanyon

Est. Contributor
It'evident that many abdls exist. How far back can this interest in diapers be traced? Is it reasonable to assume abdls existed 100 years ago?

I highly doubt it. Back then plastic pants were not invented yet so even if you wore a cloth diaper(Which was the only option) it would just wick through and wet your clothes, which makes the diaper pointless. I cant imagine how terrible incontinence would have been back then

Will for me it goes back 60 year and there are some on here in or close to 70's

I'd say they almost had to have existed 100 years ago and probably even before that. After all, ever since there have been humans, there have been babies that needed to be cared for. Who's not to say that someone 500 years ago felt jealous over a mother's care of her child and longed for the same treatment?

However, I'd say that modern child-rearing views, practices, and products have probably had a hand in creating more ab/dl's. Modern stores are filled with diapers, toys, cute baby clothes, etc. for ab/dl's to pine, and childhood is a more romanticized period where kids are allowed to just be kids instead of miniature adults.

Vapor said:
I highly doubt it. Back then plastic pants were not invented yet so even if you wore a cloth diaper(Which was the only option) it would just wick through and wet your clothes, which makes the diaper pointless. I cant imagine how terrible incontinence would have been back then

Actually, before plastic pants, apparently there were wool pants.

Abdl tendencies I would speculate have existed ever since warm wet action has occured in sensitive areas. When was the fist diaper? Who the f knows? Long damn time ago for sure. Acting immature... Long effin time before the first diaper.

It's fair to assume that AB's have existed since time immemorial. DL's would be limited to the invention and/or first wide spread use of diapers.

Even Jesus was wrapped in swaddling clothes, so I think this does date back a bit. Of course, it's not just diapers, but also regression and feeling like a baby or toddler. There are a number of different aspects to being AB/DL so I wonder how it may have manifested itself 2000 years ago, or 1000 years ago.

dogboy said:
Of course, it's not just diapers...

For those of us that identify as DL alone it does. I have zero AB tendencies/desires. So by the strictest definition of DL, it could not exist without the invention/widespread use of diapers. I do not doubt there were "swaddling lovers", or "wool pants lovers" or the equivalent of their time/culture. But diaper lovers require diapers.

I can't imagine ABDL as we currently see it today going back any farther than the 1960s at the earliest. I'm sure before then, there were probably some who had ABDL tendencies, wanted to regress, and would've been ABDLs if they were around today. I know people have brought up the ideas of ABDLs going back 100 years ago. Well Psychology has only been thought of as a science since the 1870s, so it's been around for less than 150 years. I'm guessing that if you had the desire to be little or regress way back before the industrial revolution, you either kept those desires deep in the closet, or you'd probably be written off as weak, lazy, not pulling your weight around helping contribute to the survival of the species, or possessed by the devil. You would NOT have wanted to be an ABDL way back then.

The Duke of Windsor was reportedly an infantilist, circa 1940. From reading the biographies, one assumes he was more interested in the submissive aspect than nappies, per se.

Diapers (as we know them) have only been around for about a century. Frontier women used fabric squares with their babies, but they were most often tied or pinned with straight pins. As others have noted, plastic pants are a far more recent innovation. I would suspect folks with rubber fetishes pre-date infantilists, and rubber pants were widely available a decade or so before World War II.

I imagine there's a big difference between folks 'having' ABDL tendencies (which probably goes back to pre-history) and those who 'acted' on them. It's hard to imagine an infantilist in, say, Elizabethan England, where babies were treated to a clean nappy every week or so.

I give you this quote from "The Death of Ivan Illyich" which was written in 1886 by Tolstoy(I had to read this for school and I'm also a /huge/ literature geek so... :p )

" At certain moments after prolonged suffering he
wished most of all (though he would have been ashamed to
confess it) for someone to pity him as a sick child is pitied.
He longed to be petted and comforted. he knew he was an
important functionary, that he had a beard turning grey, and
that therefore what he long for was impossible, but still he
longed for it."

Obviously, it's existed for a while but folks didn't admit it or act on it as easily back then.

Llayden said:
For those of us that identify as DL alone it does. I have zero AB tendencies/desires. So by the strictest definition of DL, it could not exist without the invention/widespread use of diapers. I do not doubt there were "swaddling lovers", or "wool pants lovers" or the equivalent of their time/culture. But diaper lovers require diapers.

I think I was thinking that it's about all the psychological things that happened when we were young, that created our desire to wear diapers. Of course, this was last night as I was getting very tired, so I'm not sure what I meant...haha. My mind can be a vast wasteland from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back