Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: short form spelling haters

Default short form spelling haters

I'm not saying that all people hate short form typing cause most of them do it but come on people you dont have to negrep them just because they ehter spell wrong or type short form,I can understand if it exstreamly bad spelling,but alot of people go by how it sounds and if you never went to kinder garden then maybe thats why you people for typing like that or short form typing,i bet that every body when they first started to write and spell they started by sounding it out,alot of people still do it and so its not fully correct spelling but it's not goign to kill u to sound words out every other word but you know wat deal with it cause its a big habbit that some people cant break,I go tnegrep cause of this twice and you know what who ever did it,you can keep nevreping me all you want you an't going to stop me form typing the way i do,negrep is my positive rep so keep them coming.

i like alot of people here and im hoping im not getitng on their bad side by doing this,im not lookign to be banned or anything but im just sick and tierd of people complaning"your spellign is horriable use spell check or somthing." i'v figuerd out that my spelling dose get better when i don't use spell check and im not using ever..

thanks.

Even for being a grammar-and-spelling Nazi, I have to agree with you -- I find it a little poor that people would be giving you negative reputation for spelling. We all make mistakes. Who knows, you might not be a native speaker of English, or there could be other factors involved. Regardless of whether or not this is the case, it's the honest content of your posts that should be reputed, not your spelling.

And besides, you do seem to honestly contribute as much as you can! A lot of people pick on the spelling of those they know that won't stick around ... but you're alright by me, ruffie, and I hope that this can be taken care of in an easy fashion.

daria7483

Yeah, I agree that it's not cool to jump on people for poor spelling, as long as you can understand what they're saying. But really, if you are in high school or have finished school, you should be able to spell most of the words you would use in casual conversation and know how to use an apostrophe, period, comma, etc, unless you have a learning disability or English is not your first language.

If by short type you mean abbreviating it that is stupid to neg rep for. Same with slang and some net talk like lol and a few others but when it gets to u its bad. I also think grammar and spelling is bad to do it for especially since allot of places have different forms of English.

EmeraldsAndLime

The problem isn't so much with bad spelling, than it is for punctuation and grammar. Well, for me it is anyway.

You can make all the typo's under the sun and people can still get a gist of what you mean. But typing without any punctuation (like one big paragraph, no full-stops, incoherence, etc...) really makes it infinitely more difficult to read and no one really wants to go to any effort for a task that should have been made easy back in grade 1-2. Not to be rude or anything, but I'm just suggesting spelling should take a back-seat to grammar and punctuation. After all (as the old saying goes), it's not what you say, but how you say it.

And neg-repping for bad language skills is just demeaning. I don't think I've ever done it for bad writing. However, I would if it was totally unintelligible, or if it was clear that the person specifically went out of their way to type it like that, or(!) the entire post is in IM/Text Message-speak.

Darkfinn

I couldn't even read that dude.

Learn proper grammar. Break things up into sentences. Or at least seperate your thoughts and learn to spell.

u c its vry hard tor ead when u buchur wordz int he engrish lang and dont evar punchtuate r even try to speel anythin write espeslly when u mak a long n wordie post tryin to xpres urslef 2 othr pepul who hav no wai of noing what u r saying othr than by giving themslefs a headache rackin there brain 2 figur outw hat u meen I culd go ona nd on ando n about this problum that pepul onlinz seem to hav but I bet u arent even readin this far down n2 teh paragraf 2 c whut i has 2 say becuz u dont care nemor about what I had 2 say int he frist plac u c pepul respekt ur opiniunz mor if u take teh time 2 aktualy hav a care adn chek over the thngs u tukt he time to typ out but if u dont care thin y shud ne1 else even bothur readin whut u has 2 say in teh 1st place becuz they cant undrstand it at alla nd i cud go ona nd on n on aboutit but it iz obvious that u dont care enuf about whut u r writin to mak it so it culd be red by sum1 els so it eventualy turns n 2 ramblin n blahblahblah soo n adn so 4th

Point being... if you are going to take the time to post your thoughts... Please please PLEASE have a care and make it so others of us can read it, comprehend it, and then formulate some kind of opinion about what you have to say. Babbling on and on unintelligably is just a waste of space.

Thanks!

Edit: And no... I don't give people neg rep for butchered posts... I typically don't waste my time reading them.
    Last edited by Darkfinn; 26-Feb-2008 at 01:24. Reason: Had to add that.

ruffie, i really hope you're reconsider your decision not to use spellcheck. i've noticed that your posts are very difficult to read, and contain a lot of typos, spelling errors, and almost no grammar. it's quite rude to post things that you obviously haven't proofread or spellchecked. i'd really advise you to work on making your posts more legible, as a courtesy to the people around you.

on the other hand, bad spelling is one of the most ridiculous reasons for having -2 reputation i've ever heard! why are we all being so horribly mean to each other all of a sudden?!? is there a strain of rabies running through the forum or something?

for crying out loud, people, if you have a problem with someone just TELL them about it, and save the negative rep for the creeps and pedos and liars who actually deserve it. it really seems like there's a whole lot of hatred and negativity going around this forum lately.

I'm one of the people that gave you a negative rep, whether others agree with me or not.
    I'm not a spelling nazi, and I have absolutely no problem with spelling mistakes, considering I make a few of them myself. However - when a post is illegible, and it looks like the person is just being lazy I don't see how you can have an excuse for that.

lol i gusse so but it drives me nuts liek when i had diapers i could feel the urg an di would go and get a pair on and sit down and w8 abit talking on the java chat and i would feel it come but it wouldnt come out,i was liek come out u st*pid son of a*itch,,,i hate uuuuu.and ill just give up and stand...im such a failure...lol
    That there, is laziness. I can understand spelling a few words wrong, not knowing which punctuation mark to use ect... However, I can't read that, nor am I going to try. So I think that my neg. rep was justified, despite others opinions.

oh yes i don't use the period as often as i do with the comma but come on dark wat the hell do u think your doing critizen by typing way past and and moking people that do spell bad.i understand alot of my post are long and use mostly comma's and hardly anything ealse,but man some thing must of crawled up your butt and died for you to do somthing like.

i admit my grammer is quite bad,i can admit,i know im not ogood at it i dont need people giving me negrep and or moking me on wat i do and blowing right past the way i do it.

i say im sorry for my bad grammer in the past,present,and future.

u c its vry hard tor ead when u buchur wordz int he engrish lang and dont evar punchtuate r even try to speel anythin write espeslly when u mak a long n wordie post tryin to xpres urslef 2 othr pepul who hav no wai of noing what u r saying othr than by giving themslefs a headache rackin there brain 2 figur outw hat u meen I culd go ona nd on ando n about this problum that pepul onlinz seem to hav but I bet u arent even readin this far down n2 teh paragraf 2 c whut i has 2 say becuz u dont care nemor about what I had 2 say int he frist plac u c pepul respekt ur opiniunz mor if u take teh time 2 aktualy hav a care adn chek over the thngs u tukt he time to typ out but if u dont care thin y shud ne1 else even bothur readin whut u has 2 say in teh 1st place becuz they cant undrstand it at alla nd i cud go ona nd on n on aboutit but it iz obvious that u dont care enuf about whut u r writin to mak it so it culd be red by sum1 els so it eventualy turns n 2 ramblin n blahblahblah soo n adn so 4th

I don't think that is ok but this is a support community. We shouldn't get upset over not comas or no caps. No punctuation and using nothing but net chat talk though is not ok on a proper forum. I think the mods/admins need to figure out where acceptable bad grammar turns into unacceptable for this for. Is no comas ok? Is some net talk ok? these and other things are where the limits need to be made but i think that is mod territory.