Talking about disabilities, disabled parking and incontinence to a University

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabilities are so misunderstood within medicine, that they are bound to be misunderstood by the authorities that issue placards, which in turn makes it impossible for the general public to know the definition of disabilities.

My son-in-law has been rated 75% disabled by the VA. He automatically qualifies for a disability placard in Texas, but must be certified by an independent doctor to qualify in California!!?! The VA may be under scrutiny, but if the VA says a veteran is disabled, I believe the veteran to be disabled!

I've had disabled plates on my car and a disability placard for when I'm traveling in someone else's car for over 20 years now. But because I look healthy I sometimes get nasty comments from people about 'taking' a handicap space from someone who 'really' needs it. These people have no idea what my medical disability is, and that my doctor has to sign off on my disability certification every few years for the state to continue issuing it.

The problem with political correctness is that it doesn’t correct anything. The ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) did not fix anything, it simply allowed people with disabilities a legal recourse for certain situations. The law did not fix the situations themselves. Government buildings put in ramps and disabled parking, and called themselves compliant. But I have been to places where disabled parking is not conveniently located to the building, let alone the ramp. The letter of the law was met, but not the spirit of the law.

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experiences at the university. I hope your protests will be heard with compassionate ears, not legal ears.

Our biggest problem is just finding handicapped parking places. My wife is a diabetic amputee and I typically am dropping her off in front of a door while I'm finding any kind of parking space because the handicapped are all taken, often by people who are able to walk in from their car.

Quick comment but in the state of Texas (as in most states) 50% disability entitles you to disable veterans license plates. That includes the person who drives them the most. I have them on both mine and my wife's car. These are issued with a doctors signature and the proof of rating. ALL states must acknowledge them regardless of state of issue. This is the battle I fought he as my plates were issued with IL and Virginia didn't want to honor them. Sorry, I am a veteran and there is nothing they can do.

- - - Updated - - -

Dog boy, not sure how to take the comment. I can walk from my car. Albeit with a cane sometimes or a limp, but I can make it. We have to be careful not to judge as to the reason we think in our minds as to why they can make it. I have a friend who was diagnosed with madly onset cystic fibrosis. She appears completely normal but walk through Walmart and then 20 spar back to her car is an exausting nightmare.
I don't think you meant this negatively, just want to clarify.

The city I live in has been sued twice successfully by myself and some other disabled citizens to the tune of 100 million dollars for their antics, and we held the judgements, as long as they fixed their mess up and made things proper within 2 years, they did and we nullified the fine,although I will say the governor we just threw out was a pain in the ass,he was choking the life out of the disabled and we would go to the statehouse to protest and picket,this guy was some piece of work though anytime any of us in chairs hit town the elevator to his office was out of service,so he never had to go face to face with any irate constituents, oddly enough people thought the disabled were crazy with the things he was doing that is until he started screwing everybody,so he was the first incumbent governor to be unseated when he ran for a second term in the states entire history.

One of the worse things in the uk is people parking in disabled bays who are not disabled. A friend of mine used to say you take my parking place do you want my disability as well.

I have no problem with handicapped parking or the people who use them, with one exception. On streets that are entirely metered, why are the handicapped spots unmetered? All citizens should contribute equally to taxation in any form. I may not be entitled to close parking, but why am I paying for someone that has this entitlement?

plasticsounds said:
I have no problem with handicapped parking or the people who use them, with one exception. On streets that are entirely metered, why are the handicapped spots unmetered? All citizens should contribute equally to taxation in any form. I may not be entitled to close parking, but why am I paying for someone that has this entitlement?

In California, disabled plates and placards allows one to park in metered parking and green zones (limited time parking) without payment or time constraints. That is why handicapped spots do not have meters.

I understand that is the law. Why are they free?

Catheterguy said:
One of the worse things in the uk is people parking in disabled bays who are not disabled. A friend of mine used to say you take my parking place do you want my disability as well.

Yes A this is certainly a sticking point with me as well- as a. Carer I have people who I take shopping who are disabled and the number of times I have had a shouting match with people who are obviously not disabled and have take on the last space

I reckon there should be tougher penalties issue myself

Essexboi said:
Yes A this is certainly a sticking point with me as well- as a. Carer I have people who I take shopping who are disabled and the number of times I have had a shouting match with people who are obviously not disabled and have take on the last space

I have Cerebral Palsy, and 99% of the time I never get a handicapped parking space at the Walmart or the Market Basket Supermarket here in Salem, NH.

Leg Braces and Crutches boy, me, ends-up parking quite a ways from the store enterances, because there are no available empty handicapped parking spaces to park my hand-control adapted car in.

ARGH!!!!!:wallbash:

Essexboi said:

There are physical disabilities though that can be not outwardly apparent, and I have a good example to give. I have a friend that has sharply increased chances for a seizure occurring the longer she walks. For her parking close to the door can be the difference between a seizure and not, to an outside observer though she looks and walks perfectly fine and people yell at her all the time over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back