Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Link between childhood bed wetting and adult incontinence

Default Link between childhood bed wetting and adult incontinence

Do you think that those of us who wet the bed as children have a greater probability of starting to do it again later in life?
    I used to wet my bed until my mid teens and sometimes has daytime accidents as well, these hit fewer as I got older, until I was dry all the time. In my late 30's I started to have problems again. The odd wet bed, then more frequent, later I started not quite making it to the toilet on time, and then full on accidents. I now wear diapers 24/7, and have little or no control of my urine. Having said I was dry, I always had a habit of dribbling a bit in my pants after I peed.
    Anyway I was wondering if there is a link between my accidents as a boy and my incontinence now, or if I am just unlucky?

I am convinced there is a connection between childhood bladder weakness and it re occurring as an adult. I was a chronic bedwetter as a kid and throughout my teenage years and wasn't reliably dry at night until I was in my early 20's I often wet my pants during the day until I was about 11 and occasionally after that. I too usually dribbled in my pants after peeing. Even after I became dry at night there were episodes of bedwetting and to be honest I have always thought of my self as a bedwetter and it never came as any real surprise if I woke up wet.
    When my bedwetting came back with a vengeance after I turned 50 I soon accepted it and as my day time bladder control worsened I just started wearing a nappy all the time. I think some of us are just meant to be this way. It doesn't bother me at all.

I'm not fully incontinent, but I have been diagnosed by both my urologist & primary as having severe O.A.B. & mixed incontinence. These symptoms have only gotten worse since my early twenties & the last two years that I've taken a break from my DL activities & diapers in general. - This is all relevant because I was a childhood bed wetter until twelve. But with a lifetime of bladder woes, for me it's not really a 'link' but rather a continuation.

I've been a diaper lover since my earliest childhood memories, but I never loved anything about my issues with bedwetting, and I do not enjoy my condition now. After coming to serious terms these past two years, I feel very duped. 'Hey, you love diapers, don't you? Well! Here ya go! Except one catch.. You'll have to wear either a leak guard or a Depend true fit wherever you go no matter what the situation. You still have enough control to keep you out of diapers legitimately!" -- Not that I necessarily want that either. The options I were given were.. awful, as I'm sure everyone in the forum knows well.
    Last edited by Cloud; 17-Feb-2016 at 18:23. Reason: Spelling

I never did stop wetting my bed and became daytime incontinent at age 29 so this may be true

I think this has come up before, but yes I think there is a link between bedwetting and later incontinence. It was the case for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by ST50 View Post
    I am convinced there is a connection between childhood bladder weakness and it re occurring as an adult. I was a chronic bedwetter as a kid and throughout my teenage years and wasn't reliably dry at night until I was in my early 20's I often wet my pants during the day until I was about 11 and occasionally after that. I too usually dribbled in my pants after peeing. Even after I became dry at night there were episodes of bedwetting and to be honest I have always thought of my self as a bedwetter and it never came as any real surprise if I woke up wet.
    When my bedwetting came back with a vengeance after I turned 50 I soon accepted it and as my day time bladder control worsened I just started wearing a nappy all the time. I think some of us are just meant to be this way. It doesn't bother me at all.
    Very similar to my own experience. I would have nighttime accidents maybe once a month or so but they seemed to stop when I reach 10 years old. When I hit puberty I started to have the "other" nighttime accidents but that was tolerable. In the ensuing years every once in a great while I would have a problem but nothing consistently. As I got into my forties though it started happening more frequently and after buying an expensive mattress I decided to be diapered every night and that has worked out fine on every level. There are weeks that go by without incident and there are times when I will wet 5 nights in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffedBaby View Post
    Very similar to my own experience. I would have nighttime accidents maybe once a month or so but they seemed to stop when I reach 10 years old. When I hit puberty I started to have the "other" nighttime accidents but that was tolerable. In the ensuing years every once in a great while I would have a problem but nothing consistently. As I got into my forties though it started happening more frequently and after buying an expensive mattress I decided to be diapered every night and that has worked out fine on every level. There are weeks that go by without incident and there are times when I will wet 5 nights in a row.
    I totally agree. I think there is a strong connection. I was having accidents til I was about 15. Then it returned in my 20s.

I've often wondered myself if I may have trouble with incontinence later on in life since I wet the bed until I was 8 or so.

Wetting the bed until 8 years old is hardly any thing to worry about and affects many kids. I wet my bed until I was in my 20's and even after that I was never 100% dry at night and have had episodes of bedwetting all through my adult life. I became incontinent due to diabetic related problems around my 50th year. It has got steadily worse and I am dependant on nappies now.

Quote Originally Posted by ST50 View Post
    Wetting the bed until 8 years old is hardly any thing to worry about and affects many kids. I wet my bed until I was in my 20's and even after that I was never 100% dry at night and have had episodes of bedwetting all through my adult life. I became incontinent due to diabetic related problems around my 50th year. It has got steadily worse and I am dependant on nappies now.
    I didn't think so, but I've always wondered.