Thread: Let's all try way too hard to be black tonight, aka, the Grammy's

Default Let's all try way too hard to be black tonight, aka, the Grammy's

Award shows are something of a guilty pleasure. Potential clothing malfunctions , lots of 'I can't believe they did that', sometimes even some decent performances. Besides, Mrs. Maxx likes them, so there ya go.

They're like a snow globe. Take it out once a year, shake it, look at it for a while, put it back in the closet. In the case of movies, its all the ones I haven't seen, and probably won't. The Grammy's? Mostly songs and people I've never heard of, except for Taylor Swift who gets up and accepts an award for what sounds like the same song she won with last year.

This year, it seemed like they were trying to shame the Oscars with black overload.

Occasionally I poke fun at black 'music' as being all spears and buttflaps. Last night I almost fell off my chair laughing when one performer actually did that: A giant bonfire, with a bunch of dancers in buttflaps and shiny, feathery tribal looking costume jewelry. I couldn't make out the lyric, so it was impossible to tell if he was serious or poking fun himself.

To be fair, the B.B. King tribute, "Thrill is gone" was outstanding.

Gaga? She's got the talent to sit by herself and do a creditable tribute to David Bowie's music. I suppose the overproduced mess was intended as a tribute to his live performances, which were much the same.

Not sure what was intended by Alice Cooper and Johnny Depp. A tribute to bad garage bands maybe?

Dragging out a pudgy 12 year old pianist to beg for money was trite and questionable at best.

Takeaway1: I'm going to look into acquiring some Alabama Shakes for my collection. Never bothered before as the name conjured up an image of twangy chicks, or maybe country rock songs about drinking and driving pick up trucks. They're actually quite good.

Takeaway2: Whoever was running the sound will probably never work again in the industry. If you're in the sound business, you might want to polish up the resume and send it in.

P.S. I thought the Eagles sounded decent, much to my surprise. Last live bit I saw of them on TV, they looked and sounded like a bunch of old guys heading downhill fast. Jackson Browne looked a little out of place. I'm guessing a lot of hair dye. We all know you're old, get over yourself and go with it.
    Last edited by Maxx; 16-Feb-2016 at 16:02.

Kendrick lamar is a lyrical genius and is actually talking about oppression and racism in the us and in the rap game look up the some he performed the blacker the berry and alright and actually listen to and look up and read the lyrics pretty amazing the rest I agree with though.

Why single out "black" music? Rock, rap/hip hop, jazz, blues, etc etc etc wouldn't exist if it wasn't for people of color.

Have you noticed that every week there's an award show on TV, and I watch none of them. I need something with a story line and a plot. I do like Alabama Shakes however. I saw them on Saturday Night Live a couple of times and Gaga is amazingly gifted.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Have you noticed that every week there's an award show on TV, and I watch none of them. I need something with a story line and a plot. I do like Alabama Shakes however. I saw them on Saturday Night Live a couple of times and Gaga is amazingly gifted.
    Yeah, most of them are meaningless in the great scheme of things, but sometimes you get good live performances that make it worthwhile.

On the same theme, I tried to watch the Oscar's last night. Gave up less than an hour into it. If I want black whining and white liberal guilt, I can watch local Chicago news almost any time of any day.

I mean, seriously, Academy, its your awards show. If you think you ought to give people awards just because they're black, then do it. Don't stiff them, then go through tortuous machinations to make up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    I mean, seriously, Academy, its your awards show. If you think you ought to give people awards just because they're black, then do it. Don't stiff them, then go through tortuous machinations to make up for it.
    Isn't that the damn truth. The entertainment media can make more news out of one thing and manage to stretch it out for months. Hollywood makes movies to make money and that means they aim toward the biggest audience, and one that goes to movies, buys DVDs, etc. I believe that's there's room for everyone. It's Hollywood's responsibility to be inclusive, not mine, obviously or the rest of us little people.